What's new

Blockbuster's "Movie Pass" Goes National (1 Viewer)

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais
I just signed up for the movie pass yesterday and I love it (I've seen four moives already, and I'll see two more tonight). It's so great not having to wait on shipping. When I had Netflix and the Wal-Mart's DVD service I would watch the movies (usually in a day or two) and then be mad becuase I had to wait nearly a week for shipping. I live about two miles from BB and since I was last in there their DVD selection has gotten so much better. It's well worth the $24.99 a month for me. Here's to 50+ movies a month.:emoji_thumbsup:

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
Sounds interesting. With money kinda tight now, I might have to rent more often,to avoid bad blind buys. $25 a month might save me that plus a couple times over.

Does the card require a credit card, or can I just pay the $24.99 in cash every month?

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
This promotion was offered to me on my last visit to Blockbuster. I declined, on the grounds that it wasn't to my advantage, as I like to rent more than 2 at a time. The manager tried to make a credible argument as to how I could take advantage of the program.
Unfortunately I didn't follow his logic- and when I pointed out that it would make my Rewards membership obsolete- i.e.: I could no longer rent 2 movies Sunday through Thursday and get 2 free, he could no longer see his logic either, and agreed, it wasn't to my advantage...

I'll pass thank you.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well i was able to convince 8 people to get the movie pass tonight in under 4 hrs.

and as i dont like the pass myself, it seems like it will be easy to sell to many renters.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I have the rewards program to, but that started being gravy for me after my first visit with it. The rewards cost $10, and I got a $5 gift card when I joined it, so I could still use it for my montly rentals and just do this for a month or two. Like others, I think I might get it to watch a tv series, specifically the Sopranos. I've been considering Netflix for a long time because I've been wanting to watch some X Files, Star Trek. Those are series that BBV just doesn't offer in my area.

Do you like working there Tony? I work in retail too and find it assuring when I explain something about HT (like widescreen) to someone and see the light go off in their head about understanding it.

And I know this isn't a Netflix subject thread, but how fast is the turnover from mailing the movie back to getting the next one on your list?

James David Walley

Stunt Coordinator
I'm just amazed that there are some Blockbusters that have a decent selection of catalog (including Criterion) and even unrated titles. Locally, it's generally new releases only, and censored (specially edited for BB and Hollywood) and even pan'n'scan versions at that. As to catalog titles -- fuggedaboudit, if they already have the old VHS release on the shelves.

In fact, the only reason I would consider NetFlix would be for the selection of "not found at the local rental chain" titles, for which I otherwise have to drive the 70 miles roundtrip to and from Seattle to rent them at Scarecrow, then make a similar trip two days later to return them.

Mick B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mick

Pretty good now that netflix has warehouses all around the country. Your movie always goes back to the warehouse closest to you so they check it off one day after you drop it in the mail. Then your next movie will come from the closest warehouse and if they don't have it then the next closest and so on. Usually two days for me. Sometimes three. Keep it going like juggling 3 balls. One goes up in the air and another one comes in to take its place right away. I would say 20 rentals a month max and if you are lazy about it like me sometimes, 10 to 12 a month. One caveat.......still hard to get new releases. I lucked out on monster and got it on thursday from the tues release date. That doesn't happen too often. I can only assume most of the netflix populace didn't know what monster was.

Now back on topic. Yes everyone drop netflix and go with the blockbuster deal so that I can have netflix all to myself like the old days. :D

Mick

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
A few years ago I frequently rented from Blockbuster because they regularly sent me rent 1 get 1 free coupons, but I haven't gotten those in a while, so I don't normally rent from them. It is cheaper just to see the films in the dollar theater. The local library has a pretty good selection of DVDs from Criterion, Kino, and Image, as well as other old and obscure titles, so no worries on that front.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

The Blockbuster closest to me has had prices pretty close to that for the past five years or so. Their prices were so steep and the selection was so bad, Hastings pretty much forced them to close up shop and move all the way across town. I can get a new release at Hastings for $4 and keep it five days. Older releases are $1.99 and $.99 respectively and are also five day rentals. That along with an enormous selection (unrated versions and some Criterions...all in OAR), good customer service and quality used and pre-viewed titles for sale sealed the deal for me to stay out of Blockbuster forever. With a corporate strategy like theirs, it's a wonder they haven't shot themselves in the foot yet with their Movie Pass service.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks