What's new

Blockbuster to favor Blu-ray HD discs over DVD format (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I actually like Blockbuster now that they added their Total Access program. It made it much better than Netflix for me. I may change back with this news. I will have to see. Fortunately, there is a local chain near me that is renting both formats.

wendortb

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis Wendorf
A local news station just did a story on this. I think this is a big blow to hd-dvd because the publicity that blu-ray is getting for this. I don't remember my local news station ever doing a story on hd-dvd vs blu-ray. Here's a quote I thought was interesting in the article:

Here is the full story if anyone is interested:

wishtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6675122

sorry for no link, don't have enough posts.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Yes, this is more a blow due to media attention than anything else. Joe consumer who actually looked at these in the store will think Blu Ray now rather than HD DVD IMO.

Honestly, if I was buying one or the other RIGHT NOW - I would buy Blu Ray just because this news tells me at least someone has media for me to play.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It's not a knockout because BR hasn't overwhelmed HDDVD. More titles? Is there a big difference? How many titles have been released on each format? Better technical specs? How does that translate into better picture/sound quality? Is anyone saying that the typical BR disc looks/sounds better than HDDVD? BR is capable of more storage, but the fact is that the typical BR disc is NOT dual layer, and is smaller in capacity than the typical HD disc. I think the pressure needs to continue to be applied.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I keep hearing larger capacity, and yet both Pirates movies had to be released on two discs! Anyway, if Blockbuster steps up with enough Blu Rays in store, I will simply rent my HD DVDs online and return them for Blu rentals in store. Total Access indeed!

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
It's funny to me, HD DVD diehards would completely back away from Bb over this.
Thus insuring HD DVD's total failure at Bb.

Yeah, that will show them!!! ;-)

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Very good point Ed. I was going to cancel my Blockbuster account due to terrible shipping on their part prior to this announcement. The only reason I may change my mind is exactly the one you've pointed out. I figure I'll take one for the team here and keep up the savage HD-DVD rentals on my end! Have the 3 at a time plan and all I rent are HD-DVDs right now (in store is another matter entirely as although I happen to live in Manhattan - I somehow cannot find a store out of the 250 anywhere near me to rent HD instore :frowning: )

Cheers,

Jason

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
CRyan,

I see where you're going with the Joe Consumer theory - the only thing is, Joe Consumer is nowhere near ready for either format. Hearing that BB is renting Bluray exclusively instore will have no bearing on whether Joe Consumer will make an HD Optical purchase. Only extremely lowered hardware pricing can do that. And even then - the masses have only just (over the last 3 years) accepted SD DVD. The HD Optical format was introduced way too early.

Of course - I'm thrilled it's here. I love HD, but for the masses it's just another irrelevent piece of technology. And who can blame them really when they see how it's setup in Best Buy or Circuit City? God they make it look terrible in these stores. I was just in a Circuit City today and they were showing Happy Feet on Bluray and they had the contrast and color so high the penguins looked completely flat. And I know how much 3-dimensionality there is to that disc because I own it (although on HD-DVD, but I've heard the discs are very similar).

Cheers,

Jason

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

As someone mentioned, HD DVD was going to originally be 720p. As far as player prices, no doubt they would have been higher for both formats initally... don't forget the HD-A1 was going to retail for $999 originally.
The poor transfers were mostly from Sony and Lionsgate initially - the other studios were good for the most part. I'm sure the market would have resisted if the transfers across the board were poor. I don't think they'd be any going back to that again if Blu-ray wins. The quality expectations are too high from this market now.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Very good point. In a way this make BB move a self fulfilling prophesy.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

So wait, we shouldn't "vote" by taking our business elsewhere. I guess that means we should continue going to BB and NOT rent HD DVD. That will send a message. :)

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
David,

I happen to be format neutral, but at this point I only have an HD-DVD player. I really don't care who wins the war, but the fact remains that those who want Blockbuster to rent HD-DVDs instore will need to show them there is a market for it. In the video referenced above, the head of Blockbuster said they'd rent HDDVD if it turns out to gain a lead.

While I think it is short sighted to go Bluray only at this point, not renting HD-DVDs from blockbuster online out of spite would give them no reason to begin renting HD-DVDs instore.

I mentioned in a post above that because of poor shipping, I had planned on canceling my Blockbuster account before I had even heard about their decision. But now I'm going to keep the account open and keep renting HD-DVDs from their online store so I can show them there is a market. Hopefully others won't jump ship.

Cheers,

Jason

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

That's the point. You can still rent HD DVD from BB via online and in the original 250 stores. By taking your business elsewhere you guarantee that their interpretation that "the customers want Blu-ray" becomes truth (at least for them). If not then how would BB ever know, as some have asserted here, that customers do want HD DVD? I don't think that Netflix is going to show Blockbuster their rental data. :) And with the HD media market being so small I doubt they'll see any truly impacting fallout from their decision.

In the end, what Blockbuster is noticing here is that HD DVD is a sell through market item. You don't get a 20:1 attach rate by renting titles. People who are passionate about HD DVD are buying titles much more often than renting. Blockbuster is simply less interested in those customers because that's not their primary business.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Though I own both formats, I see it as just another short sighted decision on BB part. Reminds me off the WS/FS fiasco that went on a couple years ago. And for anyone to say that its in the benefit off the customer to only stock one format has no idea what there talking about. Those who are wanting to rent either BR/HDDVD formats, know exactly which player they have. Its the consumer who owns neither one that will be confused. Easily solved by having a separate section in the store for the new formats and not integrating them in with the regular movies.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
While I find BB's announcement very interesting, and I guess it could have an effect, what I find more interesting is: It's widespread general news.

If HD-Media is/will be only niche, why is MSNBC carrying this as a headline, along with local stations(apparently)?

J6P can be swayed by significant media coverage, can be convinced he needs something. I mean, no one shrugged when it was DVD-Audio or PSP movies, but this is getting mainstream attention. I don't think this'll be niche by a long shot...

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator

I thought the same thing. I was driving out of Chicago yesterday listening to WGN, and they were teasing an upcoming show where the question of "Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD" was going to be discussed.

Weird to hear either format talked about on mainstream media.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
It is currently not wide spread news. A report on MSNBC, a niche in itself, does not make it so. This story is only a blip on the news casts, and the only reason it made it to the headlines is that it pertained to Blockbuster, a company that is news worthy.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member

The Pirates movies were two discs, yes. One 50gb disc dedicated entirely to each film, and a 25gb to the special features. This is a bad thing because?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks