What's new

Blockbuster to end late fees in 2005 (Merged) (1 Viewer)

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Read about Blockbuster doing away with late fees here.

Maybe I'm not thinking outside the box enough, but how will this help Blockbuster and more importantly, will it mean anything to the DVD format?

Mods, feel free to move if this is in the wrong spot.

Peace,

DM

ElAhrai

Stunt Coordinator
Odds are they are planning on a B&M version of a Netflix service. Any one with an account can check out a certain number of titles for as long as they want for a flat fee. But they won't be able to check out anything else until they return the initial titles.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
They already do that with the Movie Pass, which is what I use, and they might get more money out of it since I know a few who don't take full advantage of it and only keep out 2 movie during the monthly period, therefore paying $24 to rent 2 movies!

Brian D H

Second Unit
Read the article carefully.

The good news: you get an extra week grace period.
The bad news: After that point you get to buy the movie whether you want to or not. If you return it within 30 days they refund the purchase price but charge you a "restocking fee".

So, there are no more "late fees" just "restocking fees". And if you don't get the movie back in a month you just bought it.

It doesn't look that different from what they have now - but at least we get the extra week.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I think it's the beginning of the end of the traditional rental system that we'd had for 20+ years now.

Brian D H

Second Unit

I hope so. But, it looks more like giving the same old system a new name. "Restocking" instead of "Late".

They can call it a "grace period" - all they've really done is extend the rental period from 1 day to 8 days and from 7 days to 14 days. (Not that I don't appreciate that - I do.)

The real difference is that at the end of the rental period they now hit you with a "restocking" fee IF you return the movie. (If you call that a difference)

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
All I can say is, IT'S ABOUT FRIKEN TIME!

I don't know how many movies I've returned unwatched because something came up and I didn't get to it, but didn't wanna get slapped with a fee. I know it's not BB's fault, but it's nice to see a buisness that is thinking about the customer. Even if it is for selfish reasons.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well it's obvious to me.

About a month ago I called Blockbuster to complain about getting hit with some late fees. I maintained I had returned the videos on time. Turns out I had returned them on the right date...but not before Noon (which Bb requires).

I don't rent often and when I do its usually at a Hollywood Video which has the same five day policy...except a return time of Midnight.

So, I told the guy that I was done with Blockbuster because of this (this was the second time this had happened to me--but only the first time I had bothered to inquire about it) and that while I realized it was my mistake for not knowing the rules, I didn't like their policy of returning titles by noon and that if he wanted to let his boss or corporate people know about it, he could.

So, apparently he did...and Blockbuster has now decided to bow to my every wish and whim.

:D

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

So now when they screw up and mistakenly charge me a fee for not returning a movie, it will be a charge of $24.99. Not sure I like that.

Peace,

DM

RichardK

Second Unit
Blockbuster article

I'm surprised at this move. I don't know how many new customers they are going to get out of this, but the amount of ultra easy revenue they get from their exorbant late fees will not be matched.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

There are a couple of downsides to the new policy. Blockbuster is going to waste too much time issuing refunds which will create long lines and unless there is a grace period of at least a few days between charging the Blockbuster account $100 for being a day late returning four DVDs and taking that money out of credit/debit accounts they are going to aggravate lots of customers. Reducing the late fee to $1.25 per day and charging the customer msrp if the title isn't returned within a week would probably work better.

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
Agreed, my local blockbuster has had that issue with shelving titles that have been returned without scanning them in. There's a hold on my account for that!

I hate Blockbuster because I can't prove I turn the movies in on time (due to the fact that I DID return on the movies way back in March of this year when they were due!). I guess i'm screwed now and will be buying two movies they STILL have!

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
And you're likely paying their inflated selling price or actual MSRP on the title if you get stuck with it...

And who's going to pay for that mistake when it shows up on your file??

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
That's lame, charging the price of the DVD if you don't bring it in on time...and then you have to get a refund.

With how tight my budget runs, I can just imagine the overdraft or overlimit charge.

The other msnbc article says that there will be a one week grace period, but still.
No thanks.

Of course, it sounds like you could rent the game, and then hang onto it for almost 30 days, and then return it. 30 day rental for $4, whoo hoo! That's gonna be abused.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I think they're banking on people who forget they even have the movies or lose them.

It's fine with me, though.. I usually return my movies the next day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks