Blockbuster sale(s) of used Blus

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Will_B, May 27, 2011.

1. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Another Blockbuster used BluRay sale may be starting today.

The 5-for-$20 on any used Blu $9.99 or under continues until 6/6 as previously announced.

But here is the latest rumor (widely discussed on every forum I've seen except this one):

"Apparently certain stores have gotten a crapload of titles that are to be priced at 5.99 over the weekend and then all those are to be priced at .99 for Monday... I have 3 in my area, but only 1 is doing it."

The rumor also says that it is only stores which do a lot of business which will be receiving these boxes.

The rumor also says that the intention was for these boxes of $5.99 used Blus to arrive mid-week (a few days ago), so that by Memorial Day they'd have reached .99 on Memorial Day after having dropped by a dollar a day. But since the deliveries did not make it to any stores until yesterday or today, and might not even be unboxed until Saturday, they have to go in more awkward steps, from $5.99 Sat to $4.99 Sun and then $0.99 on Memorial Day.

What is left unsold is to be destroyed rather than shipped back.

Some say that these boxes or bins of $5.99 titles will NOT be eligible for the 5-for-$20 promotion, but rather will be strictly segregated, with the bar codes covered over so that they cannot be mixed in with the 5-for-$20 promotion. Look for the $5.99 used Blus in a separate area, either boxes on the floor or a table...

I do not have a lot of confidence in this rumor.

2. Brian Behm

Brian Behm Auditioning

At least the way it worked yesterday as my wife and I hit up two blockbusters was that the store was ringing them up as generic blu-ray titles under the same 5-20 deal. Each store had a mostly similar but slightly different selection. Here's the list of things we picked up for $4 each.

The Road

Up In the Air

Hoosiers

Pirate Radio

Austin Powers in: Goldmember

The Men Who Stare at Goats

Robocop

The Karate Kid (2010)

Animal Kingdom

The American

Day Breakers

The Untouchables

Easy A

A Single Man

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

Edge of Darkness

Splice
    Sorcerer's Apprentice

Primal Fear

The Warlords

Harry Brown

An Education

Starship Troopers

Red

The Fall

The Runaways

The Expendables

Ocean's Eleven

Ocean's Thirteen

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl Who Played With Fire

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Next
    Finding Neverland

To Save a Life

Surrogates

Ninja Assassin

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (2D)

District B-13: Ultimatum
    Repo Men

District 9

Red Cliff Part 1

Red Cliff Part 2

Donnie Brasco

The Other Guys

I think we're going to hit up at least one or two more stores today. Even if they were to drop to $1 on Monday, the selection will be gone.

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Nice haul, especially for the price.

My nearby BB store already closed down a little while ago, so it'd be a hassle for me to try to make it out to some others in the area, particularly since I'd have no idea whether I'd find 4 or 5 titles I'd want all that much to justify the effort. Also, these days I'm really trying to be a bit more selective w/ my movie collection, so don't really want to pick up (IMHO marginal) titles just because they're dirt cheap -- but yeah, they certainly do call out to me from time to time...

Still, even w/out this BB clearance sale, I already have a few titles in mind to pick up tomorrow at the other BB (Best Buy). Their 2-day sale includes a few new exclusives at solid sale prices, ie. Maverick, The Firm, Get Shorty, City Slickers, so I'm already planning on spending a bit of $ on BDs tomorrow.

Anyhoo... Have fun bargain hunting this holiday weekend, y'all!

_Man_

4. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Received boxes of what they are calling Generic BluRays:
    Boulder CO - no
    Longmont CO - yes

At Longmont they were still unboxing when I got there today at 2pm, and the employees were super-friendly and showed me what they were unpacking as they unpacked them.

They started the sale today at $3.99 each for the used Blus.

I got:
    Splice (Rental Version)
    The Lady In The Water
    Chloe
    The Transporter

And... THREE "Merlotte's" MUGS for $2.50 each!

In this "generic assortment" (so called because the bar codes are covered over and they just ring up as a generic item) there were many, many copies of:

Resident Evil: Afterlife (2D not 3D version of course)

And I also saw:
    The Road
    Kill Bill (just one copy)
    The Fugitive (just one copy)
    Alexander Revisited
    Couples Retreat
    Mission Impossible 1 (just one copy)
    The Girl Who Played With Fire (but not the other 2 in this series)
    Closer

Not quite the same as what has been in the 5-for-$20 sale. A better mix, it seems. I also checked out Longmont's 5-for-$20 table but didn't see five I wanted.

I asked if it was true that they'd be destroying the unsold Blus from the generic assortment on Tuesday and they said they'd be surprised if that were so -- they believed they'd be told to destroy the DVDs but not the Blus. But they were employees not managers.

I was not sure I'd bother to go back out on Monday, so I forgot to ask if it was true they'll drop to .99 that day. Aside from the chance of there being one or two Resident Evil: Afterlifes remaining on Monday (just based on how many there were to start with), I don't think anything special will remain.

The Boulder manager told me she asked to be part of this sale but corporate chose Longmont instead.

There are no other Blockbusters near me, so that is it for me, for both sales.

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Hmmm... If those new arrival shipments will be priced at a straight $4 each (w/out needing to buy a bunch), maybe I'll see if I can swing by a BB that's not too far away and check it out. Will probably call first for some details before heading out there, if I do that.

Thanks for the heads up.

_Man_

6. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Easy A was a great movie. If you can get it for $4 or under its a steal!

Add Harry Brown to that as well!

7. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    I called my two closest Blockbusters and the first said that they were supposed to get something but it didn't arrive, the second said he got a box with 180 titles but is too busy to put them out until Monday....

8. Brian Behm

Brian Behm Auditioning

I coasted through three more stores today and didn't really pick up much more. Most of the titles were basically the same, but I was able to pick up

Princess and the Frog

Sky High

Underdog

Dorian Gray and

Ponyo.

50 discs this weekend. I think that's a good stopping point. heh.

9. Will_B

Will_B Producer

On the plus side, if the .99 cent price is for real on Monday, then at least they won't be picked through yet.

Of course since he hasn't opened the box yet he might have only received DVDs and no BluRays.

Still sounds worth checking out though.

10. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
  11. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Yes, the cases are locking dvd-sized cases just like they rent, but if you want to transfer the art to proper BluRay cases, the actual BluRay art is what you see on top of a blue sheet of paper. It gives the impression on first glance of being a custom, DVD-sized cover, but it is actually two layers of paper including the actual cover.

Sometimes they are stuck inside with a few drops of rubber cement, which stains through a tiny bit. But it is better than if they used double sided tape!

12. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam

Wow. What a haul!

13. Brian Behm

Brian Behm Auditioning

yeah. It's been a while since I've really splurged. Probably Black Friday. I do most of my shopping at pawn shops. There's a price point a blu has to reach before I'll add it to my collection. I generally don't buy anything new if I can help it. I'm so far behind on my various watchings that it's really not all that big of a deal to wait until I can pick something up for $8 or below.

14. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Let us know what you get!

15. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    My store had a table of Blu's at 5 for $20. I asked if they had any of the titles that would be offered at lower prices in coming days and they indicated a separate rack of DVD's (no Blu's). $2.99 today, $1.99 tomorrow, then maybe 99 cents on Tuesday.

16. Will_B

Will_B Producer

That's possible. Although the intent was for Memorial Day to be 99 cents, stores seem to have a bit of leeway since the shipments arrived later than planned.

The register receipt I got from yesterday shows a base price of "$5.99" and a "-$2.00" code applied, forming the total price of $3.99. Presumably the "-$2.00" is generated from a register code, and the stores are receiving the codes each day -- but nothing can stop them from using the previous day's code instead of the current day's code as intended.

Nonetheless I will be disappointed to drive 12 miles and find they aren't 99 cents.

17. Will_B

Will_B Producer

My total from both these sales, prior to any potential finds on Memorial Day itself:

[​IMG]

Top 5, from the 5-for-$20
    True Blood "Merlotte's" Mugs, from my journey to a far-away Blockbuster
    Bottom 4, from the $3.99 on Sat,
    Office Space, from BestBuy's DVD-trade-in $5 deal.

I'd have bough Resident Evil: Afterlife if I didn't already have it.

18. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Got about 20 at today's (Memorial Day) 99 cent BluRay sale.

Good finds were Casablanca, Tomb Raider, The Fugitive.

Iffy ones which I won't really adopt into my collection unless it turns out I like them included Youth In Revolt, Repo Men, The International, Obsessed, Sunshine Cleaning, Nine, Stone,
    The Time Traveler's Wife, 2012
    (I know this is junk, I saw it in theater, but figured it might entertain again. Maybe.) and Closer, which of course I only got because of the Natalie Portman scenes.

Ones I regret wasting 99 cents on already, even though I haven't seen them yet, include The Road, A Serious Man.

And one I did not like the first time I saw it, but will give another chance to: Mission Impossible 1 (I liked 2 and 3 but did not like 1).

And I found out I'd already owned Quantum of Solace, so that was a waste.

19. Brian Behm

Brian Behm Auditioning

My wife and I did some driving around today and stumbled on a bunch of dud franchise stores before wandering past the first two places we'd looked on Friday. Turns out that we just kind of lucked out at first with those being two of the four Austin locations. Those two had marked their selection down to 99 cents and we picked up quite a few with the much lower purchasing threshold.

Amelia

Traitor

Flightplan

28 Days Later

The Replacement Killers

Law Abiding Citizen

Doubt

The Greatest

The Vampire's Assistant

Is ANybody There?

The Merry Gentleman

X-Files: I want to believe

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Frost Nixon

Hitman

Hulk Vs.

Solitary Man

Rocky Balboa

33 Inch Chest

Reign Over Me

JCVD

Jarhead

The Ghost Writer

Into the Wild

Revolutionary Road

The Time Travelers Wife

Stone

Failure to Launch

The 6th Day

Sahara

Last Chance Harvey

The Young Victoria

Smokin Aces' 2 Assassins Ball

Legendary

Angels & Demons
    Leaves of Grass

Eastern Promises (replacing an HD DVD)

The Recruit

Legion

Going the Distance

The Killer Inside Me

Nacho Libre (replacing an HD DVD)

Rescue Dawn

Gridiron Gang

Fired Up

Away We Go

She's Out of my League

A Single Man

Transporter 3

Semi-Pro

Observe & Report

Run Fatboy Run

The Other Boleyn Girl

GI Joe

Running With Scissors

Seven Years in Tibet

Ghost Town

Ong Bak 2

Resident Evil : Afterlife

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist

Smart People

99 cent DVDs

Gentlemen Broncos

The Damned United

Tetro

5 for 20 Blus at the one place that hadn't marked things down

Truman Show

Get Him to the Greek

Let Me In

Raging Bull

Sweeney Todd

I'm very much done now. I swear. heh. Had really been hoping to find copies of Fantastic Mr. Fox and Scott Pilgrim. If anyone happened to see those at their own sale I'd certainly buy them off of you.

20. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Done, until July 4th, the rumors say -- when it happens again! Hopefully at different locations, to keep things interesting.