Blockbuster LOTR $29.99 7 week deal

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by todbnla, Jul 31, 2003.

1. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Not sure if this is nation wide or not but my local BB is running a $29.99 movie card deal where you pay $29.99 and get 7 weekly, one per movie week rentals, at the end of the 7 week period you get your choice of Wide screen or Full Frame LOTR dvd or tape. Anyone else seen this, I got mine.

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I guess that's just like renting a DVD per week for 7 weeks, and getting the LOTR:TTT DVD for free. If you rent movies weekly, sounds like a good deal. Lemme call my local BB really quick and see if they're doing it too.

edit - yep, the stores in the Grapevine/Colleyville area of Texas are.

3. David James

David James Stunt Coordinator

Not as good as last years but still, not bad either. Haven't rented in a while so this sounds interesting, but you don't get LOTR until the END of the 7 weeks???

4. Andy_A

Andy_A Second Unit

anyone know if this will be the two towers special version or the regular one? thanks

5. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

David,

No, you get the movie upfront. I've done a deal like this before at Blockbuster, and you get the DVD upfront, and then a little card for the rentals to boot.

6. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd

7. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

Todd, sorry didn't mean any confusion, yes you get the movie when it releases. I was referring not having to wait until the end of the 7 week rentals to get the movie.

8. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Notice how they made the deal a little better than the last similar deal they had for some mediocre movie, (can't even remember what that movie was now). Still wish they made it as good as last years.

9. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

I believe the last movie they did a rental card with was "Monsters, Inc."

I'm doing this deal with TTT. I, too, wish that it was as good of a deal as with Moststers, Spiderman, FOTR (I believe that all of these were $24.99 and 10 rentals instead of $29.99 and 7 rentals), but I've had a Blockbuster gift card burning a hole in my pocket for months waiting for another deal like this. I know that there are at least 7 DVDs that my wife and I would like to rent anyway, so I'm OK with this.

JKS

10. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

No, there was one recently that only gave you 5 rentals. Might have been "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days", but I'm not certain.

11. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

If I wasn't a Netflix member now, I'd consider it. Once Blockbuster stopped running their rental cards, I joined Netflix.

12. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I'm not going for this deal. I'll just buy LOTR at Best Buy for $15.99 or something like that. I'm a Blockbuster Gold Member and I rent only on Sun-Thurs so that I can get a catalogue DVD rental free with each rental. Plus I get the coupon for a free catalogue release, so that's 12 rentals (6 of them New Releases) in one month for $19.96. That's all I spend there, and there aren't that many new releases that I care to rent.

With the LOTR deal, I basically get 7 rentals for 14 dollars ($29.99-$15.99), and I can only use one a week. The previous deals were much more attractive.