blew up old receiver, need new one

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dale T Hylton, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Dale T Hylton

Dale T Hylton Auditioning

My old receiver died when I hooked it up in my new house, that is prewired with speakers in 6 different rooms. I need a replacement receiver/amp that has enough power for all 6 rooms. Airplay would be great.I was looking at the Marantz SR7007. I think is some respects this is overkill because I have a desperate home theater room too and this will probably go there.Any suggestions appreciated.Oh and I will be hunting a good projector soon.

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Every receiver ever made has enough "power" for 6 rooms(which, how many total speakers?).

How did you wire this?

Series?
    Parallel(would explain the death)?
    Speaker switch(if a cheap one without impedance matching, explains the death)?

3. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Marantz receivers aren't exactly the best value out there. I think the 7007 is based on the Denon 3313 even though it's in a taller chassis and weights a pound or two more it's pretty much the same receiver. Don't get me wrong, I like Marantz receivers. They're very attractive and easy to setup and operate but at anywhere near full retail they're just not that good of a deal. I have a 6005 and a 5005 but they bought used or as a factory refurbished.

4. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
  5. Dale T Hylton

Dale T Hylton Auditioning

Thanks for the advice. I didn't actually hook it up. This is a friends system, but they asked me for advice. I am a computer guy, so I said I'd inquire. The receiver was an old one, and I don't know how it was hooked up when it died.