What's new

Bleep My Dad Says - season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This show's title might be a problem for your DVR due to the unconventional symbols in its name, but it premieres tonight on CBS at 8:30 p.m. EDT, right after The Big Bang Theory, which makes to move to Thursday. Solid casting choice with William Shatner for the role of the Dad, though not sure if his supporting cast will be up to the task of keeping with him.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
It was pretty Lame, I could Feel the Moss on some of those Jokes, although for Some reason I find Nicole Sullivan Hot, it might not be enough to Save it on my DVR. Shatner Deserves Better.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Having recently read the book (got it in digital form from the Library), some of the lines the Shat had were very reminiscent of the style. Some of the circumstances and lines, not so much. Interesting, not all that memorable, and yes, the Shat could do (and has done) better.

Heck, his "Weird or What" show is better.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Actually, my wife and I found the show quite entertaining and are both looking forward to next week. I'm not at all familiar with the twitter account on which it's based, but I thought the Shat was solid and not only were there several good laughs, but I thought the writers did a good job of setting up the main characters and leaving a lot of room for story possibilities.

Time will tell, of course, if this will translate into a long-term success, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Oh, and yeah, I've thought Nicole Sullivan was hot in sort of an unconventional way since her days back on MadTV. Her choice of wardrobe didn't hurt the cause last night, either.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It seemed pretty average.

I read a really good interview with The Shat in the New York Times. It was very revealing and not a short fluff piece. He admitted he didn't feel he had a good grip on the character. And I think he had already filmed the pilot at the time. The interview was done over a few days while the writer chased Shatner around Kentucky as he prepares for a horse show. At the end of the interview, he implies that he felt he had an idea for how to portray the character. We'll see.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
There were quite a few clunkers in the script, but the lame dick joke about seeing his dad's "zucchini" the other night was so hackneyed that it almost made me turn it off.

Considering the outre title and all, it was quite blandly inoffensive. But I liked that they paired Will Sasso and Nicole Sullivan. Will Sasso was probably my favorite MadTV cast member.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Wow - there really doesn't seem to be a whole lotta love for this show. A blogger on CNN.com ripped the show, too.

I'm starting to think I have "old school" preferences when it comes to television.

I don't watch very much TV, really, and most of what I do watch are "sitcommy" type shows - the CBS Monday lineup, The Big Bang Theory, and The Office are pretty much it. I'm giving this show a chance simply because it's on between BBT and Office (if it gets canned, at least they moved 30 Rock to 8:30 - I could get into that).

Personally, I abhor what seems to pass as "drama" these days. I was a fan of 24, but aside from that, most of the top-rated shows seem to be geared towards the notion that audiences are ADD-types that either crave an explosion/gunfire/car chase every 3.5 minutes, or don't mind lazy, ridiculous, and dumbed-down dialog/storylines that should be an insult to their intelligence. Throw out the awful preponderance of trashy "reality" television, too and there really isn't much left!!!

I've tried to get some buddies into TBBT and after watching one episode one of my friends said that it was strange hearing a laugh track again and that it totally turned him off the show.

Am I being unfair by holding dramas to a higher standard than comedies? Maybe that's the my problem...

What's the opposite of "lighten up"? And will someone please tell me to do it!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Jason Charlton
Personally, I abhor what seems to pass as "drama" these days. I was a fan of 24, but aside from that, most of the top-rated shows seem to be geared towards the notion that audiences are ADD-types that either crave an explosion/gunfire/car chase every 3.5 minutes, or don't mind lazy, ridiculous, and dumbed-down dialog/storylines that should be an insult to their intelligence. Throw out the awful preponderance of trashy "reality" television, too and there really isn't much left!!!

Try out Parenthood. Not a car chase or an explosion in sight.

I didn't hate this show, but I didn't love it. I don't think I'll even bother to come back, though watch it become the best show ever three weeks later.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

Try out Parenthood. Not a car chase or an explosion in sight.

I was going to post the exact same thing - not just because of a dearth of explosions, but because it's really good human drama.

This sitcom? Not so much. Hanson's "blandly inoffensive" comment hits the mark. They've got to find something else to give this life beyond the basic premise.

But I hated the pilot for "30 Rock," so I will always give a sitcom a few weeks to see if it can rise above.

Is it just me, or does it seem like Shatner is looking past actors and reading cue cards?

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I chuckled maybe once or twice during the first show and thought that it just didn't feel well done. However, I gave the second episode a chance and actually LOL'd a few times. It was the big guy and his wife that I really enjoyed watching. They seem to work well together. I'm still not sure about Shatner although he did seem more at ease in this episode. And as for the son who moved in, I feel his acting is more appliance like than anything. He needs to loosen up.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I actually found it kinda funny too. Shatner's recurring bit where he'll suddenly blurt out a line and his son or daughter-in-law would think he directed it at them and it was either a very nice thing to say or not and then the son or daughter would reply accordingly, and then Shatner would say no, the tomato or spaghetti. It suits his line delivery. There were a couple of times I thought those were funny.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I liked the back and forth in the scene with the Internet tech guy (wasn't that the guy from the McDonald's coffee commercial?).

Dad is threatening to shoot the tech in the crotch if he doesn't leave the house...

Son: (to tech) Tell him people of our generation can't live without the Internet!

Dad: (to tech) Tell him people of your generation can't live without their wieners!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by spshultz

It was the big guy and his wife that I really enjoyed watching. They seem to work well together. I'm still not sure about Shatner although he did seem more at ease in this episode. And as for the son who moved in, I feel his acting is more appliance like than anything. He needs to loosen up.

I love Will Sasso and fart jokes, so the scene on the couch with the SBD was the highlight of the episode for me. The lead reminds me of Josh Radnor from HIMYM in that he's ostensibly the lead, and yet is the least enjoyable part of the show and has zero charisma. They've made Ted Mosby more palatable over the years, but I'd always rather watch anyone else in the cast first.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I think it's widely accepted that Radnor is easily the worst part of HIMYM. He was the reason I avoided the show until the third season.

That fact that some people didn't get the fart joke at all made it even better. Nothing worse than having to have someone explain a fart joke to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks