What's new

Blazing Saddles SE - Specs (1 Viewer)

Stephen Ford

Stunt Coordinator
Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Blazing Saddles 30th Anniversary Edition for 29th June 2004 with a retail price of $19.97. Mel Brooks' comedy western gets the special edition treatment with the following features present...

2.40:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
New Dolby Digital 5.1 mix
Spanish Mono
English, French and Spanish subtitles
Scene specific commentary by Mel Brooks
Cast/Crew reunion documentary
Intimate Portrait: Madelaine Kahn Remembers
Black Bart, the 1975 TV Pilot inspired by the movie
Additional Scenes

:emoji_thumbsup:

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
PERECTION!

One of my all-time favorite movies, and so delighted to see such a full-throttle special edition, and in 5.1 no less!

Can't wait to hear that main title in music with the surrounds kicking in.

:emoji_thumbsup: Warner Bros.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

There doesn't appear to be enough to warrant that, but who knows. Hopefully the documentary is a bit more than it sounds like. The deleted scenes are certainly less than 10 minutes total and I don't know how long the TV episode is. I hope they include the Mel Brooks interview from the first disc. I'd hate to hold on to that disc for that alone.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Sweet. I would think this is a 2 disk set. It would make since if each of the documentaries are an hour long, plus extra footage (tv version stuff?). I'm sure the TV pilot is 30mins. Thats more than enough for a disk, leaving room for the movie itself to breath on disc one (and it'll need room to breath with a 5.1 campfire scene) Warner tends to be decent on the extras on their special editions. "the Treasue Of the Sierra Madre" didn't look as impressive whne it was announced when compared to the other "Warner Legends", until you realize that the John Huston documentary is 120+min long.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Okay, the retail is only $19.97 -- instead of the regular retail of $26.99 for a 2-Disc release. So is this going to be another snapper SE like The Wizard of Oz and The Music Man? I hope not, but the price is certainly suspect.

As far as not having enough features to warrant a second disc, I think that's incorrect. There are both a reunion documentary and the intimate portrait (I don't know the lengths of these, but at least one of them probably pushes an hour -- if they're keeping in the tradition of past bonus documentaries) as well as the pilot episode of a TV show. That and some additional scenes should be enough to warrant a second disc.

But I doubt Warner is lowering the MSRP's of their 2-disc SE's (from $26.99), which are already priced lower than many studios' single-disc SE's -- usually running about $29.99 a pop.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Wahoo my mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives! One of my favorite comedies, can't wait.:)

Shouldn't that be Madeline Kahn 'Remembered'? The actress, Lili von Shtupp in Blazing Saddles, sadly died in 1999, she was Oscar nominated for the part.

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Garner

The original Running time for "Blazing Saddles" was 125 mins. It was cut to 93 mins shortly before its release. Maybe We'll see some more footage.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Steve, the documentary was probably made before her death. Warner uses quite a few pre-existing materials for their SEs.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
(click here for the cover of the new Blazing Saddles DVD)

It's disappointing that Warner Bros were not able to put together a 2-Disc version of this classic, but it's great that they are slowly ending their long use of the snapper cases.

Looking over the special features list, I am also terribly disappointed that it appears they are using the same limited commentary track as used in their original release. Not only is it short, but all it really is is an audio interview - and not a very good one at that. :thumbsdown:

I had really expected Warner Bros. to record a real commentary track by Mel Brooks, perhaps even Gene Wilder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks