What's new

Blank Canvas (New HT) (1 Viewer)

GrantL

Auditioning
Just got done building our house, now I'm wanting to get started on my Theatre which will be in the basement which has nothing done to it yet. I have the dimensions of the room framed but that's it.

My room is 22x13x9 I am planning to drywall the ceiling in this room so all duct work and wiring for upstairs has been run between the floor joists. The room has no windows and 2 doors, one about 4 feet from the left rear corner and one approx. same distance from the front right. The only concrete wall is the rear wall. It has studs across it though so it will also be drywall. The floor is obviously concrete.

I'd like to have 2 rows of seats and a front projection screen. I just have a few basic questions for starting this project.

#1 What size picture would be ideal for this size of a room?

#2 Are there structural details that would benefit me before finishing the drywall? Such as?

#3 Is there a better alternative to wall covering than drywall for sound quality? i.e. dampening foam, carpeted walls

Basically I'm pretty new to the architecture of a theatre and really only a novice at theatre A/V setup so any suggestions, comments or ideas are appreciated.

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Hi Grant!

You're in for an exciting ride! For your size room, I'd suggest a 92-100" screen...it all depends on your first row seating distance and your personal preference in screen size. Do you sit really close in commercial theaters...then perhaps you want a larger screen, etc.

There are "many" things to consider structurally before you dryway...it all depends on if you're concerned with with things like sound isoloation, etc?

There are definite alternatives to simply drywalling walls...you need to deal with reflection points, diffusion, absorption, etc.

I'll be happy to help where I can...feel free to email me offline if you'd like as well.

GrantL

Auditioning
Just went through the link in your sig.... My lands there's a lotta pictures of that process. Provided me with a lot of useful info too. I did e-mail you by the way.

Hopefully I can produce something like what you did. I enjoyed looking at all that.

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Grant, thank for your kind words. BTW...since I built my theater and since started my own company, there is A TON of things I have learned that I'd NEVER do again...I guess that's all part of learning and growing (and having an acoustical engineer partner)! :D

But the great thing, is I get to help other people do it RIGHT now too! :emoji_thumbsup:

I'm here to help!

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Grant: there are a lot of things worth considering, including what to put *under* the drywall, how you do the framing, etc. You also definitely want to do some sort of acoustic treatment as pure drywall can be quite "live."

You're starting at the right place. Check out the links to various folk's theaters. For example, you'll see photos and construction details on my site of my theater from the bare room, through framing, insulation, acoustic treatment, and so on.

Then, keep on asking questions!

-greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks