What's new

Blake Edwards, director of “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” and "The Pink Panther", dies at 88 (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Some great films in that list....well.....maybe not TEN, but lots of others.

R.I.P

Edit: I've always liked Operation Petticoat and The Party was pretty good as well. Of course, one can't forget his Pink Panther films, not all of them were great but there were some pretty good ones.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Out of all his films I've always had a fondness for the first Pink Panther and A Shot in the Dark wasn't much of a fan of his later films.

R.I.P.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-blake-edwards-20101217,0,5648848.story

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Sad news, although 88 is certainly a good run. 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' is absolutely on my personal list of classics, but my favorite will always be 'A Shot in the Dark.' I enjoy most of his Clouseau comedies with Peter Sellers, but that one towers over the rest as one of the funnier films I've ever seen. While Sellers was alive, that franchise was the comedy equivalent of the the James Bond series...a formula that always generated results. It's just too bad they kept trying to keep it going after Sellers was gone, though. But...regardless, three straight decades with memorable films, plus a long and stable marriage to another movie icon in Ms. Andrews, is one terrific life. Godspeed, Mr. Edwards.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
The more I think about this today, the more I want to watch some of my favorites, and for most of these it's been years: Breakfast at Tiffany's, Experiment in Terror, Panther/Shot, The Great Race, Victor Victoria, and even S.O.B. which I went to when new and didn't find all that compelling then, but I'm ready to give that one a fair shake now. And I don't have a one of 'em here. Well, that will be remedied. R.I.P., good man.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It's always sad when someone with such a long and distinguished career leaves us. He seems to be rather underrated by younger film fans and, to some extent, dismissed by auteur theorists, but certainly the director of such genuinely great films as Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Days of Wine and Roses, The Pink Panther series, and Victor/Victoria, and even films of his I felt were underrated such as The Great Race, The Party, S.O.B., and Micki + Maude, deserves to be remembered highly. Not to mention his close association with Henry Mancini. And, of course, he singlehandedly revived Julie Andrews' film career.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Yes, all of that. Too bad "auteur" doesn't generally apply to those who are genius when it comes to sophisticated comedy and farce. And the Mancini collaboration is especially noteworthy, as important in its way as Hitchcock/Herrmann.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks