What's new

Blair Witch Project at Best Buy for $4.97 (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I rented this film when it first came to DVD and recall being appropriately creeped out. Thinking back from this vantage point, however, I don't feel it in my gut that this is a purchase; something tells me that my reaction now would be "this is sorta lame". Even with this giveaway price, I'm not sure If I want to own it. Or do I?? Anyone watched this one recently? Has your opinion changed over time?
Jon
------------------
--Owner of the North American rights to the small-orange-for-a-head joke. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/005319.html

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Why do you think Blair Witch 2 bombed? People totally lost interest around 3 months after the video came out
I doubt Blair Witch 3 will go beyond direct-to-video, if that
Jeff Kleist

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The memory of the abomination known as "The Blair Witch Project" only gets worse with time. Even $4.97 is throwing money away.

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
I have The Blair Witch Project on DVD and I think it is worth purchasing, Many will disagree but I also found the movie to be creepy
I also liked Part 2 and I am looking forward to part 3, where hopefully we will see the witch
Regards,
Ricky

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I still think it's a Masterpiece!! I'm with Ricky, this movie is ULTRA creepy! The only thing keeping me from getting it on DVD is apparently:
"It has been formatted to fit your TV"
I'm not sure there is an OAR release, but all the copies I have seen are P&S.
Of course this isn't your average film and I'm not sure if the DVD is P&S or "Open Matte", either way it states that it has been modified.
This movie however is an owner, it's absolutely great!!!
If there is no OAR on this I am going to have to say
NO OAR = NO SALE!!
I know $4.97 is very tempting! Maybe they are blowing them out to make room for a "Proper" release, now that would be cool!
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"
[Edited last by Sean Conklin on October 29, 2001 at 01:55 PM]

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
1. The OAR of The Blair Witch Project is 1.33:1. I don't know how it was when you saw it theatrically, but when I saw it they did a poor job of framing it properly on the screen. Likely because they are not used to showing 1.33:1 stuff in first run theatres. I understand that the DVD is slightly windowboxed, but in the correct OAR.
2. Didn't like this movie at all. I found it boring. Doubtful I will ever bother to watch it again.
3. For $4.97, I would buy it. In fact, I'd buy several. Because I know where I can hawk it for $8.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here
[Edited last by Rain on October 29, 2001 at 01:52 PM]

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
"It has been formatted to fit your TV"
I'm not sure there is an OAR release, but all the copies I have seen are P&S.
Of course this isn't your average film and I'm not sure if the DVD is P&S or "Open Matte", either way it states that it has been modified.
This movie however is an owner, it's absolutely great!!!
If there is no OAR on this I am going to have to say
NO OAR = NO SALE!!
I know $4.97 is very tempting! Maybe they are blowing them out to make room for a "Proper" release, now that would be cool!
Sean, I think you are mistaken. The OAR for Blair Witch was 1.33. The modified to fit you screen statement is inaccurate. If you are looking to purchase this I would go ahead, there is most likely not going to be a rerelease.
-Chad

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
But... But.. Chad, I just looked at a copy at wally world 2 days ago, and on the back it clearly states that it has been formatted to fit your TV.
However... I did not see this in a theater, but own it on VHS, and if you guys are correct and it has just been "windowboxed" and it's correct OAR is 1.33.
This is GREAT news and I am going to get it immediately, OH yeah!!, this movie is a must own regardless of price!!!
This makes me very Happy!!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for straightening me out on this guys!!!!
I thought 1.33 should be correct, but when I saw "modified" I just figured(even though the way it was filmed) it was probably 1.66 or something.
------------------
Sean
[Edited last by Sean Conklin on October 29, 2001 at 02:07 PM]

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
While I did not produce the movie, I did see it in its limited theatrical run here in Chicago before it received national release. I would say with 99% confidence that the OAR for Blair Witch was 1.33.
Maybe someone else can chime in with a better explanation, but I am pretty sure that it wasn't modified for DVD release.
-Chad

Russ Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought this disc last week and had the same thoughts. As far as I can tell, the "this film has been edited..." notice is on there incorrectly. There's been no change to the picture, and no other versions exist on DVD exist except for the mislabeled one.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Chad, I think your right, I mean the way they filmed this would have to be 1.33 or 1.37 or 1.66 at the very most.
I think they used real camcorders on this so I'm sure 1.33 is right!
Chad I believe you, I am going to get it!!
------------------
Sean

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
Blair Witch was shot 1.33 to 1 on 16 mm film and Hi-8 video.
It is windowboxed onscreen due to the nature of its cinematography. the cameras were run (for the most part) by the actors themselves in an improviosational setting. this led to many shots being composed very badly, with information being held on the frames toward the edges all the way around the frame.
To get as much picture on the screen as possible, it was decided to windowbox the frame so that every bit of information available was presented.
This was also done because of the overscan of most TV monitors, which tends to casue a loss of what is at the edge of a complete 1.33 to 1 frame (actually closer to 1.37 to 1).
Look at any old Warner Brothers cartooons that have the opening credits windowboxed. It's for exactly the same reason.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Thank you John! I would have guessed something like that.
------------------
Sean

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't too impressed with this film, but ended up getting the LASERDISC for $1.99 from Ken Crane's blowout sale! I thought I ought to have a number of the very last U.S. LD titles; this is a 2-disc set with side 2 of the movie in CAV and the extras on a second disc. I haven't watched it yet but there's no "formatted to fit your screen" on the cover- (yes I know this was windowboxed in theaters but still won't buy anything that even has those words on it!)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I don't have the disc anymore, but I could have SWORN it said something on the back, similar to the usual pan & scan warning, but it actually said "This film has been formatted to it's original theatrical aspect ratio" or something along those lines...
It was the confusion of FORMATTED vs. REformatted.
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Do you want SOUTH PARK on DVD in order, rather than themed sets? Join our overwhelming majority!!

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
The Blair Witch Project is an excellent film in my book, and I think it is a new horror classic. It is one of the very few films to actually scare me shitless. It is such a great movie, very underrated to say the least. I own the DVD, and if I didn't, I would definitely buy it. Part 2 is great as well. To whoever said that they will hopefully show the witch in part 3: No way!!!! They should NEVER show the witch! It is much scarier if we never see her. That is part of the reason that BWP was so damn freaky. I hope they do NOT show the witch in part 3, or ever!

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
$4.99...WOW!
It's still too much.
I have $2500 speakers that I can't have ruined by that shrill, whiney, screaming bitch. Ugh!
eek.gif

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I have $2500 speakers that I can't have ruined by that shrill, whiney, screaming bitch. Ugh!
For those of you that live in the midwest. That shrill, whiney, screaming bitch Heather is the waitress in the Steak n Shake TV ads.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks