What's new

Blades of Glory/Face Off - BD HD differences (1 Viewer)

Rob Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob

And they have done the same for other paramount releases and the vc-1 (hd-dvd) version has come out on top...why mention one disc that is diff from the norm?

If the hddvd/vc-1 versions are coming out superior then the paramount person David talked to is on crack.

As for the news of these titles...I doubt it is a space issue but hey, whatever. Looks like I'll be buying the blu-ray versions which is cool with me.

The face-off thing is funny if they are going to be 2 disc sets...love that site trying to imply it is a space issue on the hd-dvd version to not have the higher audio. Yeah right.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
There are pics of the back covers of Face/Off at axelmusic now. The Blu-ray shows hi def extras that the HD DVD version doesn't list. Nowhere on the front or back artwork does it say anything about 2 discs.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
We've seen so many Warner 50GB BDs with unused space, it's great to finally see a dual-supporting studio making use of the extra 20GB instead of letting it go to waste.

Good job Paramount. :emoji_thumbsup:

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I know. I can't wait until they do this with movies I want to own!:D

Who's taking bets on an Indiana Jones set for next Christmas, if not next summer to promote Indy 4? I say Christmas, because it's already getting plenty of press and it will give more time for people to forget the Format War. Though there will no doubt be those who suffer flashbacks for years to come.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

Yes, way to go Paramount. Instead of pleasing everyone with the initial announced 2-disc sets, you've alienated one set of buyers by short-changing them. :thumbsdown:

Why wasn't this handled like MI3 or World Trade Center?

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Yep, those two-disc sets were new releases going for $40 MSRP, while this is a catalog title coming in at $10 cheaper.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Blades of Glory however is not a catalog title. Though I am confident that price-point remains the reason for that as well as comedies seem to be a harder sell on HDM.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Hmm.. I didn't think of the pricing issue.

Still - a hard pill to swallow if you're HD DVD only on this one!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I think its unlikely as Lucasfilm has already said they wouldn't release on any HD format until the market base was larger.

Doug

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Ditto. The difference ain't slight.

I'm a bit perplexed at the whole situation. While it's nice to see Paramount using the extra space, I personally feel they are alienating some of their fanbase if they are truely neutral. It sucks to screw over part of the fanbase.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I can understand how an HD DVD collector would be miffed. But IMO "screwing over" one format would be not putting something on the disc that the studio COULD HAVE put but chose not to... like WARNER when they chose not to put TrueHD on Happy Feet (BD), for instance.

In this case, Paramount doesn't have room on the HD DVD 30GB disc to include everything that they can put on the BD 50GB disc. Do they increase costs and produce a 2-disc HD DVD set? At least they're not merely chosing to hold something back that could easily have been put on the HD DVD at no extra cost (like Warner has done with many of its BD releases).

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I'm not sure that this is actually the case with this release. All the press releases seem to indicate that the HD DVD has True HD audio tracks. The only source that seems to indicate that it doesn't is the early release of the cover art. It will be interesting to see when actually hits stores.

Doug

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
A Paramount insider over at AVS said that Face/Off would be a one-disc release on BD, but a two-disc release on HD DVD. No mention was made of the same being done for Blades of Glory. No mention was made of a different MSRP for the one-disc vs. the two-disc.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

I was refering to the omission of the HD bonus features for the HD DVD that are listed on the BD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks