What's new

Blade Runner & Legend DVD Updates (1 Viewer)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Bryan...I was curious about that myself. The UK CD soundtrack I have of the Goldsmith music has a poster from the film, which shows the FOX logo.

So Im a bit in a muddle as to what Columbias' rights expiring have to do with this,

unless the poster actually *meant* FOX...and why they would give LEGEND up is anybodies guess...Since it was made in the UK, I would think that FOX would be the 'parent' company, not Universal...but whudda I know...

and topping that, this was a WARNER release in Japan/Australasia

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Universal had (and still have) the rights to Legend in the USA and Canada. Fox had (and still have) the rights in Europe. Although credited as a Universal film in the UK as well as USA, it seems to have been a co-production, with, I suspect, Universal having the main interest. A similar distribution deal between Universal and Fox was done with Conan the Barbarian. The Columbia/Universal video rights have nothing to do with it.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I know there are valid reasons why Legend
has been delayed over and over again. But
one line over at www.thedigitalbits.com kind
of raised my hostility:
"There's no word on an official street date
for the R1 disc yet, but I'd hazard a guess
that the studio may be waiting to capitalize
on the DVD release of Ridley Scott's Black Hawk Down."

Boy we've heard that before!
(Just exchange Black Hawk Dawn with any
other Ridley Scott film that has been released in the
last 2 years.)
Nothing against Bill Hunt, but we've heard rumours
of the impending release of Legend for
over 2 years now, and I feel like I have had my chain
pulled for so long, that I no longer feel excitement,
but resentment and doubt when I read this stuff.
Mark

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I can't help but agree with you Mark, this whole Legend situation is nothing but a huge frustration and a really bad joke. I just hope that with this rediculous delay that the enthusiasm we should have for this disc isn't dampered by the time it actually comes out like the Episode I release, which instead of being a "cool I got it" became a letdown. If this isn't just frickin' perfect, I'm not going to be a very happy camper. Yeah, I'll be glad to finally get it, but there is something to be said for getting something delivered in a reasonable time frame, after which it is a setup for disappointment, and makes you almost resent having had to wait so long.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I'm not really interested in buying Legend, but I sure am interested in seeing this puppy released, DVD lovers have waited long enough.

As for Blade Runner, release this beast, I can't wait for it. This film definately warrents a 3 DVD version. Hopefully they'll go both routes and please both fans of the films, the voice over ones(not me) and the director's cut ones(me).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
but we've heard rumours of the impending release of Legend for over 2 years now, and I feel like I have had my chain pulled for so long, that I no longer feel excitement,
but resentment and doubt when I read this stuff.
Yeah, but what if they really, REALLY mean it this time? :laugh:
Y'see, THIS is why I doubted the BTTF release info for this year, right up until I just read this latest Bob Gale interview.
Ridley Scott needs to be just as forthcoming on these two films. I, for one, am waiting on the new Blade Runner. I have successfully - though painfully - held off on the original release for the 2½ years I've been invested in the format. The SE has been in-the-works, supposedly, for just that long (or longer). Before anyone yells at me (again) to tell me to just break down and get the current version, the answer is still "NO", so don't bother. I'll wait; I've waited this long. Besides, I still have 300 unwatched discs anyway.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hey! I just found this new article at SciFi.com regarding Blade Runner.
WARNING! It contains spoilers!! (it gives indications of what Ridley Scott believes the origin of Harrison Ford's character is)
Here is the link.
Here's the meat of it, without the spoilers:
Scott, currently in theaters with Black Hawk Down, but not attached to any subsequent project, also acknowledged that he would consider revisiting the world of his other SF classic, Alien. Word is that he's already met with Sigourney Weaver to discuss Ripley's next possible--and likely final--adventure. "Oh yeah," he said. "I would do it."
I'll say this: I sure hope that the original version, the one "forced on him" back in '82, is there as an accompaniement to the new version. Via separate disc or via seamless branching, I don't care. I just want to be able to see the original theatrical version in addition to anything new. Same as with Star Wars IV: A New Hope.
If he doesn't give both on the SE, I may have to just go out and get the existing DVD edition after all. :)
No surprise that Scott would revisit Ripley one final time. The last film was wide-open for a sequel, obviously. I wonder if they'll call it "Alien V: Ripley's Believe It Or Not"? :laugh:

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Dave, you'll be out of luck on getting the narration and happy ending on DVD if it isn't on the forthcoming set, as the old director's is all that's available - worth getting as it seems unlikely it will be included. The new Blade Runner better have a comprehensive collection of its former incarnations available too...

The interesting difference between the wait for Blade Runner and Legend is that we knew BR was a long way off, while we've had our hopes dashed several times with Legend already, which adds an air of bitterness to news of its release now. I also certainly hope that the insinuation in the opening post isn't that Scott is toning the film down for kids, at least without leaving both the US and European cuts intact to go with it.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
while we've had our hopes dashed several times with Legend
I can remember when this title was supposed to be a Signature Edition laserdisc. I suspect we'll have definitive proof of the Loch Ness monster before this disc ever hits the market. My advice: just put it out of your mind.

--Jefferson Morris

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Universal's Ultimate Editions have been in a funky see through case (ie Men In Black, etc).
Time to play Mr. Nit-Picky:

1) MIB never came in any form of "funky see-through case"

2) MIB comes from CTS, not Universal, so it has no "Ultimate Edition" - Collector's Edition and Limited Edition, yes...

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
If he doesn't give both on the SE, I may have to just go out and get the existing DVD edition after all.
The existing DVD has neither the narration nor the happy ending.

Agreed that it would be nice to have both. I want the tangerine dream version of Legend (in addition to the DC with Goldsmith) the same way!

-dave

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
With regard to Legend, it's pointless to say "I want this and I want that", because in this case, no one has ever seen the movie.
What was released in the theaters is evidently only a skeleton of the original film, and those who are fans of the film are looking forward to seeing the film "for the first time".
You can find every detail known about this film at:
The Legend FAQ

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The existing DVD has neither the narration nor the happy ending.
Thanks to Jeff and DaViD for correcting me. I knew this, actually, having read it at HTF before. Someone at work misdirected me a few weeks ago. Now I've gone and searched for some posts by Charlie de Lauzirika, and can print them out and show them to Mr. Know-It-All at work! :)
Incidentally, I see by the search that Charlie has posted some stuff this morning. Perhaps he will see this thread and be nice enough to chime in!
Thanks for keeping me straight, guys!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
What was released in the theaters is evidently only a skeleton of the original film, and those who are fans of the film are looking forward to seeing the film "for the first time".
Not this cowboy. While I am interested in the new cut, what I want is the film I saw when it was in theatres - that is the one that made me love the film, finished or not. Who knows, I may hate the new cut, just as I have no liking for the new "proper" version of Star Wars. I want it how I originally saw it, first and foremost.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Universal already released very specific details about the forthcoming release, and it will include both the original US theatrical release, and the new version.

Last I heard there were changes being made to the specs, so I won't count my chickens before I see what is actually included. I too will be glad when this is finally released so we will know exactly what it includes. Anything above and beyond a great presentation of the US theatrical release is a bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks