Blade Runner 5-disc [Blu-Ray] Specs?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Frank L, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Frank L

Frank L Stunt Coordinator

My apologies if this has been asked before, or if I am posting this in the wrong forum.

I just ordered the 5-disc set for the upcoming Blade Runner release, and decided to go with Blu-Ray over DVD. My question is, do we know what are the specs for the Blu-Ray set? As in, uncompressed audio, transfer resolution and size (GB), etc. I just want to make sure the Blu-Ray set is a better choice over the DVD set (which seems obvious I know).

I appreciate any info.

Thanks!

2. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    As far as I'm concerned the specs are "HD video and audio and you don't have to pay an extra $50 for a box of tchotchkies." [​IMG]

3. Mark_TB

Mark_TB Second Unit

Can someone verify that the Blu-ray release is the same as the HD-DVD? I originally preordered the HD-DVD, but since I went format neutral this past week, I'm thinking of switching to Blu-ray. (I don't want to get into the BD vs. HD-DVD argument, I just want to make sure that both formats have the exact same features.) Thanks in advance.

Mark

4. Eric-S

Eric-S Stunt Coordinator

I believe they are the same. I too switched my amazon order to blu ray after going format neutral. The ONLY reason I did this is that my PS3 makes less noise than my XBOX 360 connected to my jet engine of a HTPC. I find the images from both equally appealing.

ej

5. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Is there any picture of this set un-boxed? 5 BD no brief case.

6. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    I believe it's actually 3 BDs and 2 DVDs from what I've read.

The 3 BDs are:
    1) The Final Cut
    2) The Theatricals (both international and censored U.S. cut) and Director's Cut using seamless branching
    3) The Workprint

The bad news: Only the Final Cut and the Workprint have lossless audio, the other disc uses DD 640kbps (DD+ 640kbps on HD-DVD) and supposedly there is quite a bit of difference in sound quality. Strange that the Workprint would get much better sound than the original theatrical cuts. One review I read said it had to do with technical limitations with HD-DVD's bandwidth using seamless branching. I'm not claiming this is true but it is an interesting theory and quite possible since the other 2 discs have lossless.

Other than the sound on the one disc, reviews have been outstanding. I can't wait to get it!

7. Gary Murrell

Gary Murrell Supporting Actor

here is all you need, the back cover of the BD set [​IMG]

all versions are 1080p, with only the new final cut having Dolby TrueHD, others are DD

[​IMG]

-Gary

8. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    Interesting. I'm positive the review I read said that the workprint had TrueHD. Now I can't find the review.....oh well.

Thanks for the info. It doesn't get much more official than that.

9. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Interesting I didn't know there is DVDs in the BD set. They should have used less DVDs and put them on a BD.

10. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I'm sure this is so they do not have to author separate discs for BD and HD-DVD, they just use the same DVDs across all three formats.

11. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    ONLY the Final Cut is getting subtitles? WTF?

Wait, I think I'm reading that wrong. . .English French and Spanish for everything else and the second line for the Final Cut?

12. RogerR

RogerR Extra

I lucked out this morning. I was at my local Big Box retailer and they had inadvertently put two Blu-Ray copies (w/o briefcase) of this on the shelf. Since that is my HD format of choice (as of last week, when I bought my first HD player), I snatched one up. I haven't had a chance to go through anything yet, other than taking off the shrink wrap.

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Anyone get the feeling that the Blade Runner BDs are single-layer BDs since they are using the same audio as on the HD DVD versions?

14. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

I would think that the one disc that has all the branching versions of the film on it will probably fill up a 30 gig HD DVD, so that one at least will probably have to be a 50 gig blu-ray. Although you never know, they could be five gigs shy of filling up an HD DVD.

Doug

15. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Amazon has a useful page going through all the permutations of the various Blade Runner sets.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syl...R2VT2ECILZ4O3B

And yes it appears the cheapest way to get all 5 discs is via HD-DVD or BRD since each has both a "briefcase" and "regular box" release.

Is Warner going nuts or what?

16. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

23.9 GB

17. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

What exactly is this a reference too?

Doug

18. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

Your comment about how large the file size of disc 3, the one with three versions of the movie, of the Blade Runner set. That's how much space is used.

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Which is small enough to fit on a single-layer 25GB BD, which is what I had surmised earlier.

20. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

Well, so much for being a definitive set, but it is probably the best we'll see for the forseeable future, especially if sales are anemic. I'll probably be getting this, but I'm rather disappointed in some of the choices that were made, for example the lack of lossless tracks on the theatrical cuts of this movie.