What's new

Blade Runner 30th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray available for preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
c01c3b21_51iArAUPjL._SL500_AA300_.jpeg

http://www.amazon.com/Anniversary-Collectors-Edition-Blu-ray-UltraViolet/dp/B00845MRKE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1338391803&sr=8-5

Over 10 hours of bonus content
"Final Cut" feature on Blu-ray and DVD
Three additional feature versions on one disc, seamlessly branched
All new bonus content disc featuring the existing EC from the UCE plus
Photo Gallery with 1,000+ new images
"Dangerous Days" documentary
The Work Print feature version
Over 6 featurettes and more

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I'd go for this only if the versions of the film themselves have newer, high bit-rate encodes instead of the constrained HD-DVD spec encodes of the original release, plus the extras in HD since Charles De Lauzirika produced his documentaries in High Definition.
Vincent

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Yep, same. One of my favorite Blu-rays, but a double dip would require all of that -- and positive reviews.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Chas in CT /t/321110/blade-runner-30th-anniversary-edition-blu-ray-available-for-preorder#post_3931576
Yep, same. One of my favorite Blu-rays, but a double dip would require all of that -- and positive reviews.

I agree 100%.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
At a $65 list price I will wait for it to be heavily discounted before pulling the trigger.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
According to The Digital Bits, they say that Warners have confirmed that DANGEROUS DAYS is still SD-only. So probably no sale for me, unless I find it 18 months from now in a "Discount" bin somewhere.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Garysb /t/321110/blade-runner-30th-anniversary-edition-blu-ray-available-for-preorder#post_3931596
At a $65 list price I will wait for it to be heavily discounted before pulling the trigger.

This. I picked up the Blu 5 disc set for $25 to stick in my DVD version briefcase set. I'll only bite on this when the reviews are great and it's dirt cheap.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
OK, multiple choice time. WB is reissuing this film again because:
1) The last release is OOP and they want to give people who missed out another opportunity to buy it
2) To capitalize on Ridley Scott's Prometheus
3) To drum up publicity for the possible upcoming remake
4) They've run out of movies to release and now it's time to double and triple dip.
well, that's it, this was all I could come up with. What other reasons could there possibly be? Anyone who wanted Blade Runner on Blu-ray would've picked up the briefcase or regular versions that came out, what, 2 years ago?

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Four and a half years ago. December 2007. Looked it up to be sure. This release was the single most responsible one for being the kick in the ass I needed to buy my first Blu-ray player. I'd just gone high-def on TV and cable six months earlier. Oddly enough, my briefcase is the DVD version, too. Bought it JUST before moving into Blu-ray, then probably a month or so later is when I bought the 5-disc BD set.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
It's hilarious to look back on that. I thought at the time that while I was sure I'd want Blu-ray for certain films, there really couldn't be more than half a dozen essential ones to buy in the format. Okay, maybe a dozen. All right, maybe a couple of dozen, but surely no more than that would justify the additional expense. I seriously thought that I'd get those special few on BD and carry on with DVD for everything else. Positively amazing.

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't there some licensing thing where Warner loses their rights if they don't do something with the property every 4 or 5 years?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by AlexCosmo /t/321110/blade-runner-30th-anniversary-edition-blu-ray-available-for-preorder#post_3931725
Isn't there some licensing thing where Warner loses their rights if they don't do something with the property every 4 or 5 years?
If that were the case we would have never gotten a remastered Director's Cut in 2006.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by elDomenechHTF /t/321110/blade-runner-30th-anniversary-edition-blu-ray-available-for-preorder#post_3931697
OK, multiple choice time. WB is reissuing this film again because:
1) The last release is OOP and they want to give people who missed out another opportunity to buy it
2) To capitalize on Ridley Scott's Prometheus
3) To drum up publicity for the possible upcoming remake
4) They've run out of movies to release and now it's time to double and triple dip.
well, that's it, this was all I could come up with. What other reasons could there possibly be? Anyone who wanted Blade Runner on Blu-ray would've picked up the briefcase or regular versions that came out, what, 2 years ago?
5) 1, 2 and 3

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
The original was just about perfect in every way. If the extras were in HD, I'd at least think about it. I still probably wouldn't pull the trigger though.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by AaronMan /t/321110/blade-runner-30th-anniversary-edition-blu-ray-available-for-preorder#post_3931875
The original was just about perfect in every way. If the extras were in HD, I'd at least think about it. I still probably wouldn't pull the trigger though.
I wouldn't say it was perfect. The bitrates were pretty low and the archival versions had lossy sound only (not to mention that weird instance where Desolation Road creeps into the Director's Cut 5.1 mix). Its still an incredible set but technically it hasn't aged well.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I didn't realize that the 5 disc BD was out of print. I was eventually planning on doing the red2blu and trade in my HD DVD for the BD. So much for that idea.

Well Im on the fence, I have the Briefcase DVD edition, the BluRay of the Final Cut of Blade Runner...kind of a toss up, how many editions do I need :)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Vincent_P said:
I'd go for this only if the versions of the film themselves have newer, high bit-rate encodes instead of the constrained HD-DVD spec encodes of the original release, plus the extras in HD since Charles De Lauzirika produced his documentaries in High Definition.
Vincent
Higher bit rates wouldn't do much for this or almost any other film. When it needs it, the bit rate jumps up around 28mbps. Also almost a1/3 of the image area is taken up by the black bars, and large areas of the film frame are actually black with no detail through out much of the film. Add to that it was encoded in the VC-1 codec which is somewhat more efficient than AVC.
For the vast majority of visual material, an average bit rate above 20mbps is over kill and a waste of space.
Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks