What's new

Blade & Ronin dts Japanese versions (1 Viewer)

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Hello,
I'm curious to hear feedback from you guys regarding the Japanese dts versions of BLADE & RONIN. Are the transfers equal to the R1 releases? Are there any additional features on RONIN aside from Frankenheimer's commentary track? And, most importantly, are they worth ordering, even if just for the audio? Lastly, if I do decide to buy them, what's a great place to order them from, that will ship to Canada? Thanks alot in advance,
Marty.

PrestonB

Auditioning
I have the Japanese Blade DTS. The transfer is on par with the R1 release. The DTS track is a huge improvement on the DD included on the R1. The R1 release has a few features that did not make the cut on the Japanese disc (but does anyone look at the extras more than once?).

I ordered mine from HMV Japan. Search for the site because I cannot post URLs yet (not enough postings)...

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Actually, The R2 Japanese Ronin: Ultimate Edition drops the John Frankenheimer commentary. In its place is the English DTS 5.1 Surround. The second disc has all the extras from the R1 release plus an additional featurette and Japanese trailer.

As for Blade, The R2 Japanese has English DTS 5.1 Surround and the only special features are a featurette(from the R1 release) and Japanese trailers.

Forgot to add...

www.cdjapan.co.jp would be a place to try for these but be warned Ronin: Ultimate Edition is a limited pressing.

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Thanks for the feedback guys. I just spent some time looking through both cdjapan and movietyme.com. Movietyme.com still has a listing for RONIN while cdjapan says it's out of print now. I guess I'll have to make any ordering decisions very soon. I'm also curious about that DTS Korean edition of HEAT that they had listed. Does anyone know if its any good? I heard from someone on the forum here that it was framed at 1.78 or 1.85:1 instead of its original 2.35:1 ratio. If so, I'll keep my R1 version for now.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Yes, Heat is framed differently from the theatrical release. When i saw the screen shot comparsion-it nixed my decision to buy the movie.

Ron

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
RE: Heat

The Korean release is a two disc set. One disc is the film presented in Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround and framed at 2.40:1 and enhanced for 16x9. The other disc is the film presented in DTS English 5.1 Surround and framed at 1.78:1 and enhanced for 16x9.

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
It looks like I'm out of luck with movietyme.com as well. I sent them an e-mail asking if they ship to Canada, but they don't at present.:angry: I was really hoping to order a copy of BLADE & RONIN! Does anyone out there know of a good site to order these from that WILL ship to Canada?
Thanks for any more feedback?:)

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
I ordered mine from Amazon.co.jp. Use the English option.
They are very efficient and seem to ship next day. I also got the Japan SE of Dances With Wolves from them.

Steven_T

Auditioning
The R2 Japanese Version of Ronin does not lose the commentary, it is presented on the 2nd disc as a featurette (ie. they have edited out all the silence so that the film skips to relevant areas of interest with Mr. Frankeheimer's comments over the top) Unfortunatly it is non-anamorphic, but can't win all the time.

A few other issues with this release though, the print used for the transfer contains no subtitles... so for any of the french speaking scenes you will need to turn them on manually. Other than that this release is excellent. Picture quality is great, sound is even better! If you are a fan of the film it is a must have... excellent packaging too.

DanFe

Second Unit
Does the Japan Dances with Wolves have the English subtitles when Lakota is spoken?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
If you're on the fence about any of the Jap. Ultimate Editions you better hurry. They go OOP very quickly. Terminator UE came out in July and is gone already.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks