What's new

Black Hawk Down: SE (1 Viewer)

Tom Oh

Second Unit
Thak you Charlie! 3 disc Deluxe Edition is incredible. QUALITY extras easily makes up for the lack of DTS. I'll pass on the Superbit if it comes out. I'm so glad I waited for this:)

My only minor complaint is the Josh Hartnett noggin cover.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
As I hinted at long ago, the R1 version is the one to get for the following reasons
Thanks Charlie, although it's disappointing that Columbia treats its non-R1 customers with less respect (although I do understand the issue of non-burned in subtitles, the other matters could easily have been addressed).

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Has anyone else had trouble playing disc 3 in a DVD-ROM drive? Last night I sat down to watch the History Channel doc. and it took me a good 30 mins of trying to get the disc to load. When I took it and put the disc in my Sony DVD play (530D) it loaded without a problem the first time. Just curious if anyone else out there is having a hard time?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
woo-hoo. definitely gonna be pickin' this one up!

btw - what's a burned in subtitle? :b

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The subititles (when a character speaks in a different language) are part of the transfer as it was in theaters instead of in the player's subtitles.

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I've just gotten home with my long-awaited BHD 3-Disc Deluxe Edition and none of the three discs will load in my Toshiba SD-3109 player. It just says "Loading" for a long time and then "Disc Error." I have no problems playing any other disc in my collection. Looks like I may have to take this one back. :angry:

Anyone else having similar problems?

Tom Oh

Second Unit
Plays fine on Sony 9000ES. I have read many posts here in the past 3~4 years about early Toshibas having problems reading certain discs. This could be another.

Matt_P

Second Unit
Congrats, Charlie (and all others involved) on a great release!

I've been sampling the 3 discs this afternoon, and have been very impressed. I am especially a fan of disc art blending in with packaging art...nice use of photographs. The menus are great as well--I like how they're a variation on the menus from the first release, which had solid designs already.

The cardboard packaging is quite slim for 3 discs...I'm still not a fan of the "attack of the giant Hartnett head" on the cover, but it'll do...the teaser poster art, found on the cover of the fold out section inside the slipcase, would have looked much better (I understand the package has to have an actor's face for marketing purposes). Nice spine, though.

The features I have sampled so far are of the highest quality; well assembled, and comprehensive. The commentaries seem solid--Ridely's are always good (it doesn't sound like he's chewing on a cigar this time around...listen to the Alien commentary for an example). The Rangers' commentary also seems to be a wealth of information--it's a rare privilege to listen to the actual participants. The name subs are very useful during this one. The film score section of the docu. was great! I love seeing the scoring sessions. I still have a lot to go through...

I could go on! All in all, a classy, gorgeous presentation of a superb film.

For all those with reservations, cast them aside and pick this one up!

Tony Stark

Stunt Coordinator
John Nelson:

What firmware are you running on the toshiba?
To find out, power up the player with no DVD inserted and then press zoom-6-0-6-zoom.

I am running v3.000, but I havent recieved my BHD from DDD yet, so I cant test it for you.

-T

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice Tony.
I returned the first set and have just got home with a second set and get the same d*mn thing-- it won't load, "Disc error."
I have about 80 DVD's and have no problem whatsoever playing any of the others on my Toshiba SD-3109. Figures-- I've been really looking forward to this release for a long time!:angry:

OK, I'm not very familiar with the whole firmware thing. Using your instructions it looks like I'm running version 1.5. How do I update this? It's lousy that everything else runs fine except the one title I've been waiting for for so long!

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Just picked mine up, and watched some of the extra features. My initial impression is that this is one of the best Special Editions EVER. 3 commentaries, 2.5 hour making of, 2 original true story documentaries, and load of other features that are not just filler.

1 complaint: The cover art.
Even my mother said "That almost seems inappropriate."
Oh well, it's a very minor gripe.

A top notch DVD. Thanks Charlie.

If a superrbit comes, I'll have to see what the reviews say. If they mark a big difference between the two, I'll gladly own both.

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
At first I was all set to pick this one up, but decided against it, because this will be the third version I have of the disk. But, I really wanted the documentary that aired on the History Channel, so I gave in. :angry:

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Aside from the extras, is there a difference between the 2 versions? Does this special edition have better remixed soundtrack or better video? After reading this thread I heard mixed results, and now that it's out, it should be easier to tell.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I have a SD-3109 and the discs run fine. My player has Version 3.000 firmware. To get the updated firmware you have to send the player back to Toshiba. The best way to do this would probably be to take the player back to the store where you bought it and have them send it in for a firmware upgrade. You may have to pay a nominal fee to have the upgrade done. I was lucky, I had to send my player in for repairs and they upgraded the firmware for free. The upgrade solved a problem that I was having with a disc of "Enemy of The State". The disc would freeze at the same point in the movie and the freeze could only be overcome by fastforwarding. The disc, at another point, would switch and start playing french subtitles.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
John,

You might want to consider buying a new player if the firmware upgrade seems to expensive.

For the price of a new player these days, It might just be more economical to go that way.

I'm in the same dilemna with my Pan. A120.
Lately, it's been freezing up on newer titles but won't do this on older titles. My friend thinks it is a firmware issue.

So I'll probably end up buying a new player for under a $100 bucks and get the panny upgraded later.

Good Luck!
Troy

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Charlie, what can I say but 'Thanks very much.' This set OWNS everything else so far this year, in terms of both quality and quantity.

For those of you who don't like the 'Big Josh,' just put the outer case somewhere else and have the teaser poster art be the cover. It looks awesome.

Regards,
Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks