Black Christmas in Full frame ? why?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by T r o y, Nov 30, 2001.

1. T r o y

T r o y Supporting Actor

I read the specs for the dvd Black Christmas that it is being released only in full frame, not in widescreen.
    the laserdisc that was released in 1999 by Warner was a widescreen version. Why aren't they doing this for the DVD?
    Can someone shed some light on this.
    peace-

2. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

The film was shot full frame. The widescreen laserdisc was wrong. I should know seeing how this is one of my top 5 favorite films of all time.

3. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

The laser disc was not necessarily wrong. The film was indeed shot full frame but exhibited with a mat which depending on the projection varied anywhere between 1.66:1 to 1.85:1. What you get on the DVD is the full frame, not the theatrical aspect ratio since that varied depending on where you saw it!

4. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Warner's laserdisc is matted to the theatrical aspect ratio of 1.85:1. Warner has yet to do their own DVD version and apparently the existing DVD releases are both open matte. Hopefully one day, they will realize the movie for the classic it is and give us a nice 16x9 remaster.

5. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    On the package there is a sticker that reads: "About the transfer: BLACK CHRISTMAS was digitally restored and all information exposed on the original negative was transferred to a full-screen ratio of 1.33:1. While this transfer is not letterboxed, no information is cropped and the film's compositional sense is not marred. As the film screened theatrically in various cropped frame sizes, we felt it appropriate to release the full image as it was originally shot 25 years ago."

On a 16X9 TV, it can be zoomed to fill the screen and the crop seems to look fine.

6. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Okay, maybe wrong was too strong a word. Anyhow, if it was shot fullframe, that is how I want to see it presented, plain and simple.

7. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

8. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

9. T r o y

T r o y Supporting Actor

Apprecinate the info. fellas. I'll probably rent this one first since I've never seen it. I am big horror fan. If I like it I'll purchase.

L8tr,

Troy

10. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I have a feeling you'll end up buying it. [​IMG]