What's new

Bits now confirms - Warner drops lossless audio for Speed Racer BD (1 Viewer)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
If I found something that fit the scenario above, here's how I would describe it in a place where people go to learn something of use (actually, I'll use something that's on my shelf):

Guilty By Suspicion is a disappointing release from Warner Brothers on several fronts. Available only in pan and scan, we are deprived of seeing the film as it was intended. Furthermore, its image quality is far from impressive, being only somewhat better than the VHS edition (owing entirely to the superior nature of DVD as a format, not to any extra effort made by the studio to make it look good). Moreover, it does not have a 5.1 audio option--perhaps not a big loss because it is largely dialogue driven and has no effects shots to speak of, but even quiet dramas can benefit from a nice ambient surround mix. They've been made for far older films, so there is little excuse for the lack of one here. Overall, neither the video nor the audio is anywhere near the potential of the DVD format and should not be anyone's choice as a "demo disc". I've watched it on a regular SD TV, a small HD monitor and via my HD PJ onto a 64 inch 16x9 screen. It looks "best" on smaller screens. Don't bother firing up the whole HT for this one. Perhaps Warner will revisit this title, but I think it unlikely.

Should one buy the film? Unless one has a reason to do so (I do, as the topic of the film is relevant to some of my courses), I would say no. It is a mildly interesting film with some good performances, but it is not something people should feel sad about overlooking. At best, a rental recommendation if you are interested in a reasonable glimpse of what the atmosphere was like in Hollywood during the HUAC hearings of McCarthyism fame.

If asked for a shorter review just of A/V quality, I'd simply provide this:

Overall, neither the video (pan and scan only) nor the audio (no surround option available) is anywhere near the potential of the DVD format and should not be anyone's choice as a "demo disc". I've watched it on a regular SD TV, a small HD monitor and via my HD PJ onto a 64 inch 16x9 screen. It looks "best" on smaller screens. Don't bother firing up the whole HT for this one.

Of the 500 or so titles in my collection, I'd rank this one in the bottom ten for A/V quality--yet it is not "unwatchable" nor would I use that to describe it. I certainly don't derive as much pleasure from it as I otherwise might (if it were in anamorphic widescreen with a nice surround mix) and I'm not afraid to say so, but I don't feel I need to call it "unwatchable" without qualification.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I have seen unwatchable video. 8th-generation-plus VHS dubs, with incredible white clipping, flickers of colour reversal (in NTSC!), and vertical sync rolls. Nobody could watch this stuff (copies of fan-made anime music videos, themselves edited on home VHS decks from multi-generation bootlegs of material not available in the US at the time) — part of the time there wasn't even a coherent image, and the rest of the time it was a strain just to figure out what the image was. That's unwatchable. Nearly-unwatchable is the U.S. DVD release of Iczer-One, which appears to have been compressed from a late-generation VHS dub (the picture is, at points, almost washed out by the combination of analog and MPEG noise), or a skip-field Sony CV format video tape from the mid-1960s played back on a late-60s EIAJ machine (the frame is made up of two non-adjacent fields, giving a bizarre double image appearance). A Blu-Ray which has been overprocessed so that the images don't look like film may be disappointing, unpleasant, or even disturbing to watch, but it does not fall into the class of absolute impediments to viewing.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
VHS projected on a 10 foot screen can be considered unwatchable, no argument there. Home theater soundtrack at nearly double the bitrate of the theatrical soundtrack can never be consider unlistenable by any definition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks