What's new

Bits now confirms - Warner drops lossless audio for Speed Racer BD (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I doubt it. TDK is a monster hit vs Speed Racer as a monster failure. Gauranteed, TDK is going to get the deluxe treatment from Warner.

SR is getting the short end because Warner doesn't want to send good money after bad. Even if that money only amounts to a few cents per disc.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I have a feeling this BD, if done well, could have become a "guilty pleasure" type of purchase for that demographic that wouldn't go to see the movie (oh wait, that was all demographics...). I do think that the demographic the movie was *probably* intended to reach couldn't care less about lossless audio.

In my case, I only buy BDs where a very good effort was made into trying to make the feature as good as currently possible. I can live without extras if they did that.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Well, since it was basically Warner that turned events towards a single-format HD solution, I doubt that they're sore on the point, though the studio's inconsistency on this release could be a sign of some unexpected internal studio politics.

I hope everyone realises that there IS NO EXCUSE for not including lossless even on this BD25. NONE. If there wasn't enough bandwidth Warner could have scrapped one or two alternate language tracks and done TrueHD for the original language. And it doesn't "cost more" to provide lossless: if royalties were the issue, they could have gone PCM.

Just wait... when the disc streets it will probably have a lower average video-bit rate than Sony's MPEG2 PCM BD25 titles that had lossless audio!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so why won't Warner add lossless as standard?

this will be very disappointing if SR doesn't have trueHD.

Joe_G

Second Unit

This is something I just don't get. Fox / MGM, Universal, Sony and Disney all include lossless audio tracks on every release, whether it be DTS HD/MA, Dolby TrueHD or PCM. Sometimes they even have multiple lossless tracks. Why can't WB make it a standard like everyone else? The success of a film shouldn't even have to play a part. It should be about providing the highest quality of presentation that's possible.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that's the ticket!
Remember the three disc "Windtalker" on SD DVD?!?!?!
That's how you treat a "dog".
Put it in a tin case; like those terrible PD DVD's.

This is CRAZY!!!
Modern movie: OLD soundtrack
Catalog title: MODERN soundtrack

EDitEDbyED:
What is the cost difference between a lossy & lossless soundtrack?
Or, are we ONLY talking space?
Then its what's the cost difference between BD25 & BD50?

troy evans

Screenwriter
Ed's nailed it again with another solid point. I recently bought both "Lost Boys" films on Blu-ray. "Lost Boys" has Dolby TrueHD and all the special features from the previous 2 disc sd dvd, while "Lost Boys 2: the Tribe" has lossy 5.1 standard and it's own special features. the only difference is LB2 has one of those BS digital copies. You can keep your digital copy crap and continue to give me lossless audio instead. So, why are older catalog titles getting better audio treatment than current releases? Regardless, SpeedRacer should have lossless audio. There's no excuse for this bullshit. With some current Blu-rays picture presentation only reaching scores of 3 to 3.5 and not getting lossless audio to boot I may just start buying the sd dvd releases on certain titles. And that sucks because I love Blu-ray and want to support it. Get it together Warner.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

So they didn't do this to save money, they did this for some unknown absurd reason, they're not greedy...they're just crazy.

I don't know about any of you but I feel better about this whole thing (he says throwing his hands up in the air from frustration). :rolleyes

:thumbsdown: Warner

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Thanks. :emoji_thumbsup:

And I wholeheartedly agree with your post. I don't know which is worse, them doing this for absolutely no concievable reason or to save money.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

you know, this is basically the point i wanted to make in the topic asking what does warner have against lossles? but mostly all i got was responses defending warner.

my title of that thread was even changed without me asking for it.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Just watched Doomsday tonight - stellar transfer, darn near reference DTS-MA track, and a one hour and 53 minute movie, all on a BD25. Insanely fun movie, BTW. Really makes the decision by Warner all the more disheartening. I guess the only way to truly get your voice heard is with your wallet - I'll open mine for Universal, but Warner isn't going to see a dime on what should have been an easy purchase.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Extremely doubtful, only a handful of HD-DVDs had lossless tracks, most all had DD+ only.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Yes but it will not be referance, which it easily should have been.

My silver lining is that Cars will continue to reign supreme as my #1 choice to show BD off to people.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
While WB should be given much credit for there HD video transfers as they have put out alot of great looking titles. WB has also dropped the ball on many titles by not including lossless audio. People buy Blu-ray for the best possible picture and the best possible sound. So why is WB giving us horrible lossy Dolby Digital? This is not just a matter of Speed Racer tanking at the box office IMHO, WB has stuck way to many titles with Dolby Digital. And as long as the movie is new enough to have a 5.1 track I will continue to not buy titles that do not include lossless audio!

Lossy Dolby Digital on Blu-ray = NO SALE :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks