What's new

Birds of Prey: The Complete Series Announced! (1 Viewer)

troy evans

Screenwriter
That raises the question is your copy an NTSC region 1 release? Usually the U.K. releases ans U.S. releases are different. In content and presentation at times.

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator

Sorry about that.It's the region 1 release I'm talking about,thought I should mention that before you get your hopes up :frowning:
I don't even know if BoP was ever even shown on tv in the U.K. but I'm probably wrong there.

LizH

Second Unit
Aimee Allen lost her recording contract with the Warner-owned Elektra label after the show was cancelled.

WHV may not have been able to secure the rights to the theme song for that reason.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Rick, correct me if I'm wrong, but, You're not buying this set, correct? Here's the facts, you can do what you chose and there are no doubt a few people here on the forum and off who are upset that this is not anamorphic. However, all the friends and people I talk with don't give a rats ass about that. That's just the way it is. I'll say this now, it would be very unlikely this show ever gets released again. So all the bitchin' in the world will mean nothing. Like So Very Many tv shows on dvd, it is what it is. Now, we're all supposed to fight a battle over this release when no one cares about the countless other tv shows on dvd that have been released with simular problems if not greater. If you feel enough is enough, then that should be your attitude with any release, not just the ones you may want. The studios will stop doing this when all fans of all tv shows on dvd stand up and say enough, not just BoP. Since that's never going to happen I'll just enjoy my official release of the series in all it's non-anamorphic glory and that's my and several other peoples right. I'm sure there's a Chinese proverb that can sum all that up too.

David Levine

Supporting Actor

It probably won't ever be released again (barring Blu-ray, I guess), but if enough people bitch loud enough, maybe the studios won't make the same mistake on other shows.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
The funniest thing about this whole situation is that the unaired pilot is anamorphic widescreen.

There had to be a changing of the gaurd at WBHV. These Birds of Prey and Fastlane releases seem so out of character for a studio that used to actually care about quality releases. I get they expect low sales so they put low effort into the sets, but still.... they have certainly gone about as low as they could go. Although, I did see one scene on the Fastlane set where the characters were discussing the music playing on the radio by name and they seemed to have left the music intact and didn't just cut the whole scene (Sony would have).

You'd think these sets would be even cheaper given that they really do feel like "budget" releases. This reminds me of way back in the beginning of the DVD life cycle when WB tossed out a bunch of lazy full frame discs for $10 a piece (most of which have never been revisited).

troy evans

Screenwriter
This is the basis for my feelings on this matter. I know some absolutely hate it, but, this is the best we're going to get. I also picked up Fastlane. I don't remember that being in widescreen on tv, so, the presentation for that in fullscreen 4:3 would be correct. Of course, widescreen would be nice, but, not if it's incorrect OAR.

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah it is a shame that the music has been replaced and the set is non-anamorphic but It cold be a hell of a lot worse,like not being released at all :eek: If i hadnt looked online I wouldnt have even known that the music had been changed and while the replacement song is no where near as good as I'd start a revolution,it's not totally terrible.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
By that rationale, almost all TV DVDs should be 4:3 then.

I think you're correct in saying that this is the best that Fastlane is ever going to get but given the age of the show, it seems like 16:9 would be the preferred aspect ratio for it.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Well, I caved and ordered this set anyhow. Non of my 4 dvd players zoom non-anamorphic dvd's and my plasma doesn't either so I won't be doing any back-to-back episode viewing anytime soon unless some of my gear changes allowing zooming. I'll have to tough it out.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
To add insult to Injury this was just added to Itunes in Widescreen Format !
Still Has the theme and Music changes thou. Sad that the digital DL can be in WS but not the disks themselves.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Oh OK I had thought Warner released it in 1.33 format. Still bad thou who does'nt use anamorphic enhancement in this day and age, did it really cost that much money to do that?

Rolando

Screenwriter
Sorry to revive an old thread but I've been thinking about getting this set (sight unseen) as it is pretty cheap at local Wal Mart. I remembered there being a problem with these like not OAR or non-anamorphic, so I thought I would look up the old thread. YOWZA!

Really glad I did. non-anaorphic DVD release in 2008 AND replaced the theme song on EVERY episode? To add insult to injury the pilot episode thrown in as an "extra" in enhanced for 16:9 TVs? wow, if they tried to mess up a TV release on purpose they could do no worse.

maybe I can find the original intro with original song online somewhere and watch that first everytime I see an episode if I buy it

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks