What's new

Birds of Prey Anyone? (1 Viewer)

LizH

Second Unit
BOP was a good show that was mishandled by the network. Whatever problems BOP may have had were primarily of the network's own making.

For starters, the network ordered a complete re-shoot of the pilot ONE MONTH before the show was to premiere (They wanted something that was -- in their words -- "Less Burton, more Schumacher" :rolleyes:)

Even after that, the show was subject to heavy network interference. They tried to do away with Dinah (which surprised me, given that she was intended to appeal to the network's teenage target audience) and Oracle (network had issues with her wheelchair.)

As for the precipitous drop in ratings, "The Bachelor" is more to blame for that than the show itself (That happened to "Angel" and "The Mountain" -- before its timeslot was switched -- as well.)

When I heard The WB's nonsense re: BOP being tossed around in this thread, I felt the need to comment (Has anyone else noticed that Jordan Levin and Co. are no longer at the network? :wink: )

LizH

Second Unit

The network was the reason why.

Apparently, they thought that Oracle in her wheelchair was unsightly.

Hearts being ripped out on "Charmed? Okay. Scaly green demons on "Angel"? Okay. Why they would regard Dina Meyer in a wheelchair as being unsightly is beyond me. :rolleyes

Even if the show HAD stuck to its comic book premise, there's no guarantee that it would've been a success ***cough*** "Tank Girl" ***cough*** "Elektra" ***cough*** "Judge Dredd" ***cough*** "Howard The Duck" ***cough***

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator
I like the comic and also liked the series, and would buy it in a heartbeat.

I wonder if all the trendy music they used will make it less likely to be released on DVD since it will cost them more to clear the rights...?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Liz,

Let me start this by saying I have all of the episodes recorded on dvd and was very excited about the show. I think the point of most people who are debating with you is not that the show sucked. It was that they wasted a good opportunity and talent. They changed way to much from the comics. They made it too much like X-Men with Meta's substituted for Mutants. I know the comic is not doing well. But, to change to much. Fans won't want to watch and that is a hit a show like that cannot take. Here are my suggestions:

-They could have kept the show at the same time as Bats and just not showed him. Not 20years in the future. And Huntress not his daughter.
-Had appearances by Dick Grayson as Nightwing
-Kept Dinah as Lori Laughlin's Dinah.
-Mention other heroes and not have people act like you were crazy.

And my personal favorite....Had a cross-appearance by Tom Welling as Superman. Just age him abit.

ps-I think the casting of Dina Meyer as Oracle was perfect. :)

LizH

Second Unit

Warner has had to replace a song for S2 of "La Femme Nikita."

I don't see them having too many qualms about it with BOP.

LizH

Second Unit
I had never heard of BOP, Huntress, Black Canary, or Oracle before the show came out. I had no pre-conceived notions as to what it should look like.

At the same time, I can understand how some people might be more than a little upset by the deviations from the current comics.

I personally own the first two BOP trade paperbacks. When I bought the first one and saw the deviation from continuity, I'll admit to being a little put off myself. However, as I learned more about the existence Silver Age Huntress, I eventually began to accept TV show and comic as being two separate continuities. :)

Can't we all just get along?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks