What's new

Bionic Woman season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Sackhoff does cynicism and world-weariness better than just about anyone. I'm not sure how convincing she'd be as a naif. And from what I've read, it was the opportunity to be the villain that attracted her to the role.

M.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

No; I'm apparently in the minority that isn't overly impressed with Sackoff. Her character is simply a variation of Starbuck, and Jamie needs to be a more humble, more 'girl next door' type of
character.

I'd recorded it and watched it last night as well. It wasn't as dark as I feared (BSG-dark) but I agree with Chris in that I was underwhelmed. I felt cheated - her 'transformation' from human to cyborg took what? 5 minutes, and then she was 'all better'?!

I think that while the origianl BW and the Six Million Dollar Man were more geared towards children, I think their origins actually carried more drama. They struggled with their bionics; it took awhile for their bodies and the mechanics to mesh; and yes, I will miss the torn skin to reveal metal underneath.

And I did think that some of the acting, not just Michelle's, was wooden.

I am heartened to hear that some retooling is in place so I'm cautiously optimistic and will give it several more weeks.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
My concerns were with the acting, not the writing. I think the writing is fine. What's lacking is the projection of believable emotion.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I'm not a fan, so I wouldn't have tuned in. I can deal with her in a secondary role.

I thought it was pretty cool. I'm back next time. And next time, I'm going to actually record on the HD channel instead of the SD. Stupid DVR, defaulting to the base channel. Stupid me for forgetting that it does that. :rolleyes

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I too was underwhelmed by this show, for many of the reasons already stated.

On a more LCD level, I appreciated they picked a woman with a more womanly figure this time. While I liked Lindsey Wagner, I always thought she was too bloody skinny.

I too miss the slow motion effect and the ch-ch-ch-ch sound effect... probably on a more nostalgic level than anything else.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I tend to agree about what's lacking, but I disagree about the cause. I think the actors are doing the best they can with writing that's hobbled by the need to jam so many plot points into 42 minutes. (This really should have been a 90-minute pilot.) The writers solved the problem by relying on plot-point shorthand a/k/a cliches. I doubt there's an actress of this or any era who could have convincingly brought off the "we're doing it on my terms" scene. But at least Ryan (or the director; or maybe it was the editor with the timing of the cuts back to Miguel Ferrer) gave it the spin of a young woman trying to talk tough and not succeeding.

M.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

They need to give her a Bionic Dog, but this time mix it up and make it a Pomeranian. Also Fighting a Bigfoot or Fembot would'nt hurt.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Especially after the doctor's lecture. :D

As for the show, it was alright. To be honest, tho, I don't expect much from pilots. It doesn't tell me how the show is going to be from week to week, just the setup.

Jason

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Was that Will doctor dude dead or alive at the end? I couldn't tell. Maybe I wasn't supposed to be able to tell.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I agree that there was way too much crammed into a small amount of time, but I thought Ryan did an especially poor job as compared to the other actors, and that was despite the fact that she (obviously) had more screen time than the rest. I actually cared more about the sister and the boyfriend than I did about the main character.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Both, but more so the delivery. I would have to watch the scene again to determine whether I would interpret the scene that way. At this point, it's more extrapolation than I'm willing to make.

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
Watched the premiere and found it very disappointing. Still, I stuck it out till the end hoping to give it a chance. I don't know if I can take another week of the poor scripting, uninteresting characters, surprisingly weak acting and laughably bad dialogue. It just wasn't very good.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I would imagine that Shoshanna Stern would have been better as the sister, as much as I think Lucy Hale did okay. I'm a little disappointed by that change.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Finally got the time to watch it, and while I didn't think the pilot was all that good for the same various reasons posted already, I really liked the cast and the tone of the show and will eagaerly keep watching this one. It has all sorts of potential, so it should get better.

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
I found parts of this laughable. She must make a TON of money to afford that huge place and a Saab! Give me a break. Then again, maybe she worked at the "other club" down the street to earn the extra bucks.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I told my wife the same thing: bring in BigFoot and all is forgiven! :)

Bionic Pom I didn't think of. Good irony: big fluffy dog filled with lethal, bionic killing hardware.

UngersPride

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad
This show has real potential.

Although they need to settle things down and not rush the plots (I think things were rushed a bit in the pilot for obvious reasons).

Joel C

Screenwriter
I really got the impression last episode that her scientist boyfriend had lived... they loaded him into an ambulance, he was only shot in the shoulder (TV shortcut for "non-fatal wound"). Do you think they cut him after the pilot?

They definitely re-tooled a lot... There was no earlier indication that he'd done anything to "study up" on her before the car accident. Everyone seemed to think he was crazy for making her bionic and he seemed to be doing for purely selfish reasons... and now all of a sudden it's the summation of two years and five months of research?

Not really complaining, I'm liking the lighter tone more and this gives room for them to build a better mythology, but it's just a pretty drastic change.

But then I hated the pilot, pretty much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks