What's new

Bionic Woman season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
For those that have seen the premiere ep.. or have seen "28 Days Later"

There is that song in it.. has a very nine inch nails feel to it, though I don't think it's NiN... anyone know what that is?

(and it's not that obscure the song plays repeatedly.. and is the big song of both as an industrial-metal-instrumental)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Ungh - this looks DREADFUL. It's. . . . domestic! Give me the good old seventies where Jamie would fight like Ninja and Fembots and enemy spies in vaugely eastern Europe countries. None of this getting in touch with your inner feelings bullshit.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I recently saw a screener of this and even in its rough form (with temp music from 28 Days Later and Babel) and some unfinished scenes and unfinished effects, I can say with great satisfaction that Bionic Woman is every bit as excellent as the preview was promising.

The special effects that were finished were striking (but you already know that from the preview). The acting range from the lead is, thank goodness, excellent. With the great emotional range of Michelle Ryan, this could be bigger than, say, Alias (which was hampered a bit by a narrow acting range). I also was really pleased to see that Katee Sackhoff has wonderful line deliveries -- since I'd only seen her in Battlestar I honestly did not know if she could play other characters. Indeed she can. And it is wonderful to see her as a villain. The rest of the cast, aside from the lead's love interest, didn't appear much, so we'll have to see more before we know how they gel.

Though some have said this show would be safer if it was on the Sci-Fi channel, I think that networks have learned from shows like Battlestar Galactica and Heroes that when a producer has a passion for an imaginative series, the audience will love it if the producer is given a free hand. I think if NBC stays out of the way, and lets Bionic Woman be as gritty as Battlestar, they will have a hit in the kind of demographic that has eaten up shows like Battlestar and Heroes.

The pilot episode of Bionic Woman is gritty, with a bit more gore than I expected from a network show -- and that is a good thing since it suggests the network is staying out of the way. Though it does have the network television convention of people in hospital beds still wearing lipstick and makeup, so maybe they have their hand in it a bit.

I can hardly wait to see the finished version. This show is going to be a hit.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i tried watching the episode but could only get about half way. uggh. maybe in hi-def it'll be better. the show had a very Alias-type vibe.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Dude, Jamie Sommers in the 1970s was sensitive too. Jamie lived in the country, petted horsies, and had a bionic dog for heaven's sakes. That was how sensitivity was portrayed back then -- by evoking a "John Denver" kind of vibe. Today, they evoke it with friction between characters, people crying and getting their arms broken. It's a rougher kind of world.

But I do agree with you about fembots. It wouldn't be the Bionic Woman without fembots. And if they have to give a nod to Austin Powers by saying "You mean they're fembots, like, Elizabeth Hurley?" that's ok.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
I sort of agree with what you said and also with the other poster. This has WAY too much goo in it like the other poster said and I also said in another post I HATE the lady playing her younger sister. For crying out loud, she looks older than the bionic woman plus the whole teenage angst vibe is getting REALLY old. I mean we all know what teenage years are like, but not everyone that was a teenager went though the weaping, emotional rollercoaster B.S. that so many T.V. shows love to portray.

If they make Bionic Woman hard hitting, action, some romance and more comic book like with fembots and other threats like that then count me in. The first show from what I've seen was very mixed and I would have to vote thumbs down unless they change it like most people want to see done.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
as i have stated before, this is a big thumbs down for me too. after seeing the pilot i can't understand how this would succeed when really good shows like battlestar galactica, firefly and john doe didn't.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Plus I kinda like that kind of drama, so, that's my bias. I knew the Galactica producers like having characters who are having difficulty adjusting, so I can see why they (or one of them) felt they'd be able to portray Jamie Sommers in a way that would honor the fact that her life just got seriously diverted down a different path. That said I see the risk of the show becoming unduly sentimental if the network tries to dumb it down. It needs to be creepy, and the pilot had that element.

I am honestly extremely surprised that people aren't liking the show. I thought it was a slam dunk for anyone who liked shows like Galactica (and Diallo, Firefly is one of my favorites too -- certainly the similarity of Jamie Sommers to Summer Glau's character River on Firefly must have some similar appeal? Both teenage (er, 24 year old) women with superhuman abilities...).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the pilot episode (and not too sad that the sister got recasted). It does have that "Alias on steroids" feel to it, but in a good way. I like that Jamie isn't a pushover, and has her own point of view in how her new abilities will be used.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
"Alias on steroids" sounds to me like the ending of the sentence, "I wish they'd make a show that was..."

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
I was recently watching Cashback and thought to myself what a cutie she was. When I looked her up on IMDB and saw that she'd star in this, I figured I'd watch a few episodes just to watch her. :D

Elphaba

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gilda

I was thinking it looked like an adult, sci-fi version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Lucy Hale. Your typical, skin-and-bones underwear model refugee. I didn't see the original version of the pilot, but it had to be better than your typical, gorgeous teen stereotype. Feels like a casting choice of the "Smallville" playbook. It totally works there, as it's become a style-over-substance show, but it seems like a "safe" decision here by Ben Silverman to rein in the unconventional thinking that Kevin Reilly brought to the table.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
It didn't seem as fun as Buffy and I do feel it could use a bit more humor. I like Dark but it's depressing too. I don't think most people are going to want to see that on weekly basis.

Elphaba

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gilda

It depends on the quality of the show. Battlestar Galactica is pretty dark most of the time, as was the X-Files, and at least a few of the more acclaimed cable shows (The Shield, Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Oz, etc.).

I doubt it'll compare in quality to Buffy, but few TV shows compare to Buffy at its best (seasons 2-3), but what I saw in the promos seemed to have the same kind of female empowerment vibe, a show about a young woman who is suddenly granted power she never asked for and doesn't want and has to learn to deal with the responsibility that goes with having that power.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I agree - dark is good, per the Battlestar point. No one can compare to Whedon, but, Eick ain't half bad.

Did you see Sunday's Chicago Sun-Times? The paper's Geek Squad names Katee Sackhoff as a "Breakout Star" for her role in Bionic Woman:

yay!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks