What's new

Bionic Woman season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I happened to catch this week's episode (since my wife still watches); unfortunately I found it unimproved from the early epsiodes. Perhaps a touch sillier, in fact. There's no sense that these people are really professional spooks. Jamie and her partner getting tricked into being locked in the room was just silly, and not in a humorous way. And that seemed to be the level competence in general.

Ah well. Maybe they'll figure it out next season.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Damn. Antonio down and out. I wasn't expecting that.

What's up with this 'in two weeks' crap again for the next episode?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Awesome ep. Last week I complained that they'd gone too light, and that I hoped they'd find the balance. They found it. This episode had the right mixture of light and dark. Plus it had those strange moments of comedy that makes this show so neat -- re the bonsai tree in the psych office -- and additionally, they've improved Jaime's dialogue by writing her sassy lines that normally would have been the kind of lines that Corvus would have said -- again, re the psych office. Most of all, Jaime is growing up, starting to realize what this job entails, through what happened this week. This was the best of all worlds.

I am kind of surprised there are more episodes coming. I thought tonight's episode was the last one they filmed before the strike. Now that they've got the mix right, the show faces the strike. Damn!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Since next Wednesday is before Thanksgiving, it's most likely a travel day for a lot of people, so perhaps that's why NBC is skipping next Wednesday (or stretching out the new episodes they do have in the can).

Sometimes Jaime is still too blase about the whole thing, but in the end, her naivete earns her a lesson in the human cost of being an operative in the cold, hard world of the spy game.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Totally trivial: On a larger tv, the clips of previous episodes revealed they're having a difficult time deciding what kind of eye-liner application to give Michelle Ryan. They've overdone her lower lids a few times. And I'm not even watching in high-def.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea how Michelle runs in those shoes with the heels that she wears when she's either chasing someone down or racing to be somewhere fast.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Yeah they had a few closeups of those shoes tonight. And did you notice they've decided on how to do the bionics? They go slow-mo at first, as the old show did, and then they speed up to either regular speed or slightly faster-than-real speed. And they've perfected the sound effects too.

Maybe the heels have shock absorbers and futuristic traction.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The effects for her jumping up to save whatshisname didn't look very good. It didn't look like she was jumping in an arc, but rather bad wire work, as in the recent Charlie's Angels movies (horrible wire-fu)

I vaguely recall in the original The Bionic Woman, maybe with the fembots, where Jamie landed from a height wearing heels, and she damaged her legs. Actually, unless their bionic heels, you'd think they would snap.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Yeah, I noticed that. I think I like how they've decided to 'show' her using the bionics.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes it feels like it takes her a while to get her legs up to speed because she'll be running for 50-100 yards before the bionics kick into a higher gear. Maybe she needs to have a straight-away to get them legs running anywhere close to 60 mph.

Is it me, or does Jaime have this interesting bounce to her walk? Jennifer Gardner's gait on Alias was distinctive, but it was more of a purposeful stilted gait.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
When they do that, they should just list them as cast regulars and let it be a surprise. It's like Dylan Baker's character on Drive. We knew, with the "special guest" credit, that he was going to peace out sooner than later. Of course, that show never got far enough for it to matter.

Not a bad episode, but I didn't like the realization of the bionics that much. Instead of feeling like it was slo-mo into fast motion, it just felt like she had dropped back to regular speed. Motion with the background freeze-framed is cliched, but I think it works better for super speed. Of course, she probably doesn't run as fast as Clark Kent.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Courtesy BionicWebsite, an article from a Canadian newspaper called Globe and Mail:

"NBC's Bionic Woman, starring Michelle Ryan, was supposed to run through to Dec. 12, but it shut down last Friday, said veteran publicist Bill Vigars, whose Canadian production, Search and Rescue, is unaffected by the strike.

Meanwhile, the fourth season of Battlestar Galactica is stopping production tomorrow, and will remain out of commission until further notice, because it ran out of scripts, a source close to the show said.

It was supposed to run until March 10.

At least 200 people will be laid off in the aftermath.

"It's a crisis," Mr. Vigars said."

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Looks like I changed my icon to "save sarah corvus" for nothing. According to a gossipy website called Remote Access, Katee Sackhoff does not want to return to the show. After the way the show has devolved, I can't blame her. It started with lots of grit and style, and has turned into fluff.

Update: Other people who attended are saying it was not as declarative as all that. She did say that the show has been a "cluster frak", but people swear she did not say anything bad about Ryan.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Well, no offense to you, but that's a relief. She was dragging the show down. If it comes back after the strike, hopefully they can finally find their way. The new direction is more the way it ought to be, but it's still lacking something.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I actually agree with you in the sense that her character gave the show weight and substance. Its just a matter of preference whether the buoyancy without her is a good thing or a bad thing. I think her gravitas is needed.

Update:

Update: The blogger’s account has been said to be an exaggeration. Here’s a partial transcript of what Katee actually said at the convention:

“Bionic Woman on the other hand, (clapping) um, thank you, um I don’t know what’s gonna happen with that one. I’m not even really like on the show anymore. I’m having a sit down with one of the new show runners in a couple of weeks or something like that to discuss future on the show. I don’t know what’s gonna happen with that you know. Battlestar has such a following that it does make sense for them to finish it. Bionic Woman on the other hand is such an expensive show and the ratings are (Katee makes a raspberry noise). That was one of my questions: ‘Who knows why Bionic Woman isn’t doing well’ (audience shouts ‘no Katee’) *she shrugs* I didn’t say that. I don’t know what will happen.”

Another blogger wrote:

“Let’s see - No, she didn’t seem all that thrilled with Bionic Woman, but no, she certainly didn’t ever mention Michelle Ryan, even obliquely. Mostly she just joked (but not really) about how she unfair it was that so many people now knew her from the show and not from Battlestar Galactica, and she wanted to steer them over to the better show.”

Have I said lately how much I love Katee Sackhoff? I also gotta love that she signed an autograph for someone “Frak you. Love, Starbuck”.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
And that could be it after tonight. Its chances for a full season pickup is not good.

I'll admit, I won't miss the show too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks