What's new

Bionic Woman season 1 thread (2 Viewers)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
We Yanks are such predictable suckers for a British accent, especially on a beautiful woman. ;)

What I like most about Ryan, in any voice, is her emotional directness. It's an ability that a well-written soap can really bring out in a talented actor. That's where Sarah Michelle Gellar got her training. Now if only Bionic Woman can give Ryan some equally decent material to work with.

M.

Abe D

Agent
Real Name
Abe D
Her thick cockney accent in Eastenders is definitely not her natural accent, which goes to show that Michelle has the chops to perform regardless of what accent she uses. If anyone is interested in what she really sounds like, they need but check the scifi online interview:

http://video.scifi.com/player/?id=154548

Pretty close to her bionic english ;)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Which is why I also cited to contemporaneous interviews, where she speaks in her own voice.

And none of the accents on EastEnders are that thick. ;)

M.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
At this point, though, I would contend that Michelle doesn't have to shift as many gears to do the thicker cockney accent as she does with an American accent, which affects her Jaime performance a bit. There's just a slight hitch in her delivery as Jaime at times, but she'll improve in time (as long as NBC continues to greenlight the show - WGA strike notwithstanding). I also find her entertaining to watch as Jaime, I also agree that the show runners need to get better material for her to work with.

Abe D

Agent
Real Name
Abe D
When they show Bionic Woman in Europe the PAL conversion will probably make her sound even sexier.

The show has potential but its being held back by the overall tone. It's very dreary at times with a lot of brooding. The last episode worked for me because it broke from that pattern with moments of levity, e.g. the back-and-forth between Jaime and the tech guy, the roommate, the "uncle" bit.

Ditch the leather jacket, terminate the Corvus storyline, eliminate the sister; and the show might live up to its potential.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I agree the show works ok without the brooding, but I disagree about ending the Corvus storyline. If fans say it is the best part of the show, which they have, then it simply needs to be saved for crucial times, like the end of season episodes. I may be repeating myself, pardon.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

If. I'm a fan and have been vocal about not liking the Corvus storyline and I've read just as many posts on various boards voicing the same thing. So I'm not sure 'fans say it is the best part of the show' is an accurate statement.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Next week's TV Guide has the news about the January "relaunch" of the show that Ryan had spoken of, more informally, earlier:

Quoting Bionicwebsite.com:

Finally, it says that the new, “improved” Bionic Woman will relaunch with a 2-part episode to air in January. NBC has not yet given up on the show, as it still takes in enough of the 18 to 49 year old demographic to be profitable for the network.

The magazine also noted an online poll that they had, where 77% of those who responded said they preferred Katee Sackhoff’s evil Sarah Corvus over Michelle Ryan. However, the mag notes that Sackhoff will not be replacing Ryan any time soon.

unQuote

Of course the writers' strike is likely messing up everything.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I admit, I like Corvus far better then Ryan. I find her potential role, if properly developed, is very reminiscent of say, Bourne.

But her storyline has had great moments and poor ones, and doesn't at this point add anything of merit to the show.

But while she won't replace Ryan, I'd find a show following her path of vengeance or whatever to find out the truth of why this happened to her to be a lot more interesting and compelling then the way the show is going.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I thought the last episode proved that the show was better off without the Sarah Corvus storyline.

And while we're at it, get rid of the Jae Kim character.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I thought tonight's episode was on par with last week's. Which for me is a good thing.

It's not a perfect show by any means, but I definately think it is going in the right direction after a rocky start.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Although a little cute at times, the humor from the action sequences more than made up for it. Jaime's flippancy does crack me up at times. Ruth dressing down Nate early in France was good for some laughs. Jordan Bridges (Tom) is not all that believable as a CIA operative, though. But Tom is a good sounding board for Jaime, even if she ends up doing most of the heavy lifting. Becca is going through all the teeny bopper stuff, nice of Jonas to pick up the slack for Jaime in the guardianship department.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I am not liking this. The change from a serious, dramatic show with a wry edge to a vapid, silly show is a big change. This was lighter weight than even the lightest Alias episode. I'll keep watching in the hope they find a balance between the two, but for me, this episode was pretty much like an episode of Chuck.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting comment about Alias. I have not watched this show very regularly or all the way through. Tonight was the first I saw all the way through. It was fun, but it did remind me of a lighter version of Alias. I like how she keeps her abilities a secret. Where'd the CIA boyfriend come from?! Kinda goofy sidekick if they want him around, not sure he's a good thing.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The CIA dude came from the last episode 2 weeks ago when they sent Jaime on an undercover assignment posing as a British college student who transfered to the local university.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think the best thing about the show right now is Kevin Rankin. He and Jaime made a good team last week. It wasn't quite the same this time when she couldn't communicate with him. There really ought to be some kind of subdermal transmitter installed. I liked Jonas connecting with little sis, and Rennie is always good. There's still something off about the whole thing, though. I didn't care for the unprofessionalism when Jaime and Tom were having the "liberated woman" discussion right outside the door they were about to kick open. And the scene with the money was just amateurish. The scene was over, and money was still floating down from the ceiling? C'mon.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I'm just incredibly disappointed at this point with the way this show has went. It has not really found a groove, and the storylines have been a real letdown.

The special effects aren't that special and can be pretty camp, the show is, at this point like "Chuck" but without the fun element.

I'm out, I'll drop it from the DVR today.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Hey! This weeks epsiode was guest starring Oddjob. Nice to see him still getting work! I do miss the hat tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks