What's new

BIONIC WOMAN (original series) COMING TO DVD (Kenneth johnson announces) (1 Viewer)

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Regarding the new transfers, do we know if Universal loaned Time-Life the original network 35MM prints of the episodes for T-L to then remaster on their own, or did Universal go back and remaster both shows from the 35MM prints themselves, and give those new remastered transfers for the SMDM DVDs to T-L?

It seems like it would be a waste of $$ for Universal to remaster the SMDM episodes for the Bionic Woman Season 1 DVDs, and then have T-L go and do their own remastered transfers for their SMDM set, a duplication of effort.

Not sure what to expect from the SMDM transfers, but I guess we'll find out soon, as hopefully some online reviewers will get some advance copies a few weeks early to look at.

On a side note, I remember that the R2 Bionic Woman transfers always looked MUCH better than the R2 SMDM transfers, which appeared to be taken straight from 16MM prints. Is it possible that when the show was originally made, the film stock or film processing techniques in those early SMDM episodes was of lower quality in general compared to what was used for BW, in which case SMDM may never look as good as BW, no matter what? Or is it all simply due to the problem that was pointed out above in Joseph Burns' post?

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
One more question regarding something I've noticed while watching these shows:

On the DVDs, when an episode goes to a commercial break, there is a clean, decisive cut and the screen goes to black, as one would expect. Yet when viewing my Sci-Fi Channel tapes, these same transitions to a commercial break seem to fade-out instead? Not a big deal by any means, but it's something that caught my attention and I was just curious if anyone knows.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Jeff*H
One more question regarding something I've noticed while watching these shows:

On the DVDs, when an episode goes to a commercial break, there is a clean, decisive cut and the screen goes to black, as one would expect. Yet when viewing my Sci-Fi Channel tapes, these same transitions to a commercial break seem to fade-out instead? Not a big deal by any means, but it's something that caught my attention and I was just curious if anyone knows.
Sci-Fi used to do their own in-house editing of the episodes. They would typically create a "fade-to-black" to replace the original cut-to-commercial point, in addition to adding additional breaks where none had originally existed, with newly-created music "stings" and/or crescendos to look authentic. Never could fool me.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Jeff*H
Regarding the new transfers, do we know if Universal loaned Time-Life the original network 35MM prints of the episodes for T-L to then remaster on their own, or did Universal go back and remaster both shows from the 35MM prints themselves, and give those new remastered transfers for the SMDM DVDs to T-L?

It seems like it would be a waste of $$ for Universal to remaster the SMDM episodes for the Bionic Woman Season 1 DVDs, and then have T-L go and do their own remastered transfers for their SMDM set, a duplication of effort.

Not sure what to expect from the SMDM transfers, but I guess we'll find out soon, as hopefully some online reviewers will get some advance copies a few weeks early to look at.

On a side note, I remember that the R2 Bionic Woman transfers always looked MUCH better than the R2 SMDM transfers, which appeared to be taken straight from 16MM prints. Is it possible that when the show was originally made, the film stock or film processing techniques in those early SMDM episodes was of lower quality in general compared to what was used for BW, in which case SMDM may never look as good as BW, no matter what? Or is it all simply due to the problem that was pointed out above in Joseph Burns' post?

None of the eps were sourced from 35mm prints. They all came from Universal's archival DigiBeta masters. The SMDM eps have always looked worse than BW's—whether it be in syndication or any of the foreign video releases over the years. From what I've seen of TL's SMDM efforts, the eps will look better than we've ever seen them before—including the Mexican NTSC Season 1 set of a few years back, which has been the best release to date.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Noticed a 'mistake' on a commentary track yesterday, Johnson mentions the song Majors is singing at the start of an episode saying it's the only time the actor ever sang, not so of course since he's much more famous for the theme song from "The Fall Guy" than this little tune.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by HenryDuBrow
Noticed a 'mistake' on a commentary track yesterday, Johnson mentions the song Majors is singing at the start of an episode saying it's the only time the actor ever sang, not so of course since he's much more famous for the theme song from "The Fall Guy" than this little tune.
Well, Maybe Kenny actually meant the only time he sung on $6M Man. Also, it's possible that Kenny had never seen a single episode of Fall Guy...

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I don't think he only meant SMDM here, but maybe he's suppressed or forgotten the other later Majors song... I think many people (especially in the movie/music industry) would like to forget it and don't regard it highly - afterall, it was a small hit in Germany where David Hasselhoff would also chart...

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I still remember as a kid, when Lee Majors was singing how groan inducing it was. I still remember my mom telling me to turn it down for a minute. One of the few times i agreed with her, on turning down the TV. Only low point in the episode, darn near the lowest point in the series.

Then again, i remember the 6MDM Christmas Carol episode was pretty bad too.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Well Lindsay doesn't fare any better. "Feelings" is still groan inducing! And she sings again in Season 2!! It's almost enough to want the series to stall just to avoid hearing it again! JUST KIDDING!!

bionicbear

Grip
Real Name
Scott Fisher
Well as I was writing on thebionicwoman.com I can answer a question definitively. The Bionic Woman episode, "Welcome Home Jaime, Part 1" had Bionic Woman credits and not Six Mil. I was upset that the credits on the DVD were Bionic Woman because I remembered so differently, but then I began to read all this controversy. I knew that I could settle it once and for all because I knew that I audio taped each episode of The Bionic Woman when they originally aired. Well tonight I went into my cellar and found the tapes and was dumbfounded! "Welcome Home Jaimie Part One" definitely had BW credits and not Six Mil! Is it possible that they aired a repeat of The Return of the Bionic Woman on Six Mil and then began WHJ part 1 on the Wednesday and that is why so many of us remember a Six Mil lead in? Or as Maximillion777 on the other site suggested, did they perhaps air WHJ part one in the Six Mil timeslot on Sunday? TV guides must tell the story. I think I might have that somewhere too. All I can say is that they definitely slapped BW credits on WHJ part 1. This explains why universal could not find a version with Six Mil credits as written on TVshowsonDVD.com. it never existed!

I must say in full disclosure that it is possible, but unlikely that I might have taped WHJ part 1 when it was rerun for the first time on ABC but I have absolutely no memory of doing so. I would have only done that if there was something wrong with the recording but I was so excited to tape the new series that I do not believe that I made any mistakes.I can tell you that a voiceover the credits at the end says stay tuned for Baretta next on ABC. Was Baretta on a Sunday or a Wednesday?

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
In my review, I tried to be polite and not go there about the singing. I figured it was one of the things you just have to accept with the eps - like the 70s hair, the clothes, etc.

The other bonus was at the end of the "Bionic Beginnings" featurette where they tried to get everyone to make the "bionic" sound effect before they left the interview...

bionicbear

Grip
Real Name
Scott Fisher
Well I can definitively put one fact to rest. The Bionic Woman, Welcome Home Jaime, Part One originally aired with Bionic Woman Credits! I know this because I audio taped every episode when it originally aired. All this discussion, the DVD, and information on the web had me convinced that it was a crossover episode, but I decided to find my tapes and check it out! I was dumfounded to find TBW front and end credits on Welcome Home Jaime, part one! Not only that, an announcer states over the end credits to watch Baretta on ABC...NEXT! Baretta was on Wednesdays and not Sundays. I am thinking maybe that ABC chose at the last minute to rerun The Return of the Bionic Woman on Six Mil before the premiere of BW and that is why so many of us remember it differently. It seems as if they intended WHJ1 to be a crossover, but they definitely changed their minds and slapped TBW theme on it way before it ever went into syndication.
This explains why Universal could not find a copy with Six Mil credits...it never existed! I will digitize the episode for the world to hear soon!

In all possible fairness and disclosure, there is only one possibility that I am wrong. While I have no recollection of doing it, I could have taped WHJ1 when it was rerun that same year. I would only have done this if something went wrong during the original taping and I would have redone it...on the same tape. Again I have NO memory of doing this, there is no evidence of doing that on the tape, and I believe it HIGHLY unlikely. AND it would mean that Universal changed the credits that year for the first rerun and not for syndication. Would they have even gone to the expense of doing this for a first rerun?

Here is my proposal

Sunday, January 4th, Rerun of The Return of the Bionic Woman Part 1, on Six Mil
Sunday, January 11th Rerun of The Return of the Bionic Woman, Part 2, on Six Mil
Wednesday, January 14th, Welcome Home Jaime, Part 1 on TBW
Sunday, January 18th, Hocus Pocus, on Six Mil
Wednesday, January 21st, Welcome Home Jaime, Part 2 on TBW

It seems to be generally agreed that WHJ2 aired on January 21st and by some recollections and guides WHJ1 aired on Six Mil on January 11th, 10 days before! I KNOW we did NOT wait that long for the conclusion to WHJ! Conclusion: Welcome Home Jaime, part one aired on Wednesday, January 14th,1976.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by Kevin EK
In my review, I tried to be polite and not go there about the singing. I figured it was one of the things you just have to accept with the eps - like the 70s hair, the clothes, etc.

The other bonus was at the end of the "Bionic Beginnings" featurette where they tried to get everyone to make the "bionic" sound effect before they left the interview...
No need to be polite about something like this Kevin. They suck, cannot sing, and should of kept it in the shower. But, actors still want to try and break into the music business too. They all do it, I have heard songs from William Shatner, and Leonard Nimoy, and neither one of those guys can sing. Sure does not take away from my love of Trek.

Or in this case The Bionic Woman, and The Six Million Dollar Man!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Hey, ABC gave Lindsay a full hour musical special. She really must have threatened them with bionic harm. I'm still traumatized by her singing "If My Friends Could See Me Now."

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by bionicbear
Well I can definitively put one fact to rest. The Bionic Woman, Welcome Home Jaime, Part One originally aired with Bionic Woman Credits! I know this because I audio taped every episode when it originally aired. All this discussion, the DVD, and information on the web had me convinced that it was a crossover episode, but I decided to find my tapes and check it out! I was dumfounded to find TBW front and end credits on Welcome Home Jaime, part one! Not only that, an announcer states over the end credits to watch Baretta on ABC...NEXT! Baretta was on Wednesdays and not Sundays. I am thinking maybe that ABC chose at the last minute to rerun The Return of the Bionic Woman on Six Mil before the premiere of BW and that is why so many of us remember it differently. It seems as if they intended WHJ1 to be a crossover, but they definitely changed their minds and slapped TBW theme on it way before it ever went into syndication.
This explains why Universal could not find a copy with Six Mil credits...it never existed! I will digitize the episode for the world to hear soon!

In all possible fairness and disclosure, there is only one possibility that I am wrong. While I have no recollection of doing it, I could have taped WHJ1 when it was rerun that same year. I would only have done this if something went wrong during the original taping and I would have redone it...on the same tape. Again I have NO memory of doing this, there is no evidence of doing that on the tape, and I believe it HIGHLY unlikely. AND it would mean that Universal changed the credits that year for the first rerun and not for syndication. Would they have even gone to the expense of doing this for a first rerun?

Here is my proposal

Sunday, January 11th Rerun of The Return of the Bionic Woman, Part 2, on Six Mil

It seems to be generally agreed that WHJ2 aired on January 21st and by some recollections and guides WHJ1 aired on Six Mil on January 11th, 10 days before! I KNOW we did NOT wait that long for the conclusion to WHJ! Conclusion: Welcome Home Jaime, part one aired on Wednesday, January 14th,1976.
Hey, Scott, I should have known you'd still have the tapes! I'm glad to know my memory was probably right all this time. I distinctly remembered it being the 1st TBW ep, following the repeat of TROTBW on Six Mil.

slats7

Auditioning
Real Name
Brendan Slattery

Here is my proposal

Very interesting and exciting news. According to local newspapers from that time, Baretta did indeed follow BW on January 14. It did so again when "WHJ I" was re-aired on June 2. The fact that you did hear the BW credit sequence means that it can officially be classified as a BW episode (even if it had Six Mill supers).

As for the other dates, we have all but confirmed that repeats of "TROTBW" aired on December 28 and January 4. What we recently discovered is that "The Winning Smile" (long thought to have aired on December 21, 1975) was instead broadcast on January 11 as a last-minute replacement for "WHJ I."

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Can anyone point me to a good on-line resource for tv guide listings that can be searched by date?

thanks

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau

For what it's worth, today I searched for my own TV calendar in which I was keeping, weeks after weeks, airings on the show and I found it. In my listing, I see that WHJ pt 1 aired on wednesday january 14 1976. The second part on january 21.

87e31878_TheBionicWomanairings.jpg

Even TV.COM has it wrong as they listed WHJ part 1 : jan. 11th 1976

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks