What's new

BIONIC WOMAN (original series) COMING TO DVD (Kenneth johnson announces) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Dave at TSoD posted the news earlier today for S2, coming on May 17th. Link is here . One more to go, S3. That's the one that I want more, not because it's the best (it's in last place on my list) season but because I don't want to get the German set unless necessary.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
It has been a good year for the bionic series. I have watched a few episodes from the bionic woman and it is ok, but i prefer the six million dollar man. I just picked the show up, because i am fan of these type of series.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
with the release schedule for Bionic Woman - seems like they're timing it so Season 3 will come out when Six Million Dollar Man goes retail.

Originally Posted by Jeff Willis
Dave at TSoD posted the news earlier today for S2, coming on May 17th. Link is here . One more to go, S3. That's the one that I want more, not because it's the best (it's in last place on my list) season but because I don't want to get the German set unless necessary.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
More likely scenario, IMHO: timing it so that TBW-S3 will come out a certain amount of time after S2 (not as long a wait as between S1 and S2), and then after roughly the same amount of time passes then SMDM can hit retail just in time for Christmas.

In other words, it's my guess we'll see S3 around early-to-mid August, and SMDM S1 at retail around early-to-mid November. Just guessing, though...I've got nothing to back it up.

mark40511

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
After reading through this entire forum. I was totally confused about the season one opening credits. I always remembered that Welcome Home Jaime had that "different theme" which is indeed on the season one episodes of WHJ pt 1 and 2 of the DVD. Then from the rest of season one, it's the regular Bionic woman theme I remember most (and my favorite of all the versions). But one thing I did notice that was mentioned prior to this is the "2nd bionic replacement complete".. I do remember that being on the WHJ credits but not the rest of the opening credits when the opening music changed .........
At least they left the music the same though (from what I remember) Am I correct that it's only the texts that changed but the music is the same? I don't ever remember any other opening themes but four for the Bionic Woman...........WHJ 1 and 2, followed by the rest of season one opening, then season 2 was all the same, and season three was all the same...........And I wrong? Was there a fourth opening? (excluding the short openings)
Another question..........If they remastered one opening for season one, then why does each season one opening somewhat different in the way it sounds as far as sound effects.....Someone mentioned that Winning is everything opening has much louder sound effects........and it does. It's almost like each opening (while still being the same had different more pronounced or muffled sounds).......So if they remastered ONE opening for season one, then why is this the case?
In season two, The opening credits in Road to Nashville is really dull sounding as opposed to the actual episode, while the the episode itself sounds great as does the rest of the seasons opening credits.
Oh and Bionicbear, I enjoyed listening to your 70s audio. That was a trip. Unfortunately, I was only 3.9 yrs old in January of 1976. I vaguely remember seeing the Bionics on TV because my mom had it on. She loved Lindsay Wagner! My most vivid memory of original airings was The Martians are coming. I remember my mom was sitting in the floor in front of the TV hitting her fist against the floor saying "helicopter, helicopter!" In 1979, I was in first grade and had to have my tonsils out. They re-ran BW weekday afternoons at 4pm (I believe) and that was the time frame when I saw every episode. That continued until 1982 I think. Then the re-runs just stopped on the local station out of Asheville NC and I wasn't able to see BW again until the mid 2000s from crappy bootleg copies
I love both the SMDM and the BW, but I always enjoyed watching BW more. It just seemed like a slightly better show to me. Perhaps because she showed believable fear a lot (even though she had bionic power) and she could fake pain really well. I think Lindsay Wagner is a great actress
I just ordered the SMDM from Time Life today.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
mark40511 said:
/forum/thread/299474/bionic-woman-original-series-coming-to-dvd-kenneth-johnson-announces/240#post_3832857
In season two, The opening credits in Road to Nashville is really dull sounding as opposed to the actual episode, while the the episode itself sounds great as does the rest of the seasons opening credits.
That is part of the audio defects that plague the S2 set. There are many such moments in the S2 eps, including more in that ep itself. (Check out bits of Hoyt Axton's opening number.) Luckily, there some eps not affected at all.

mark40511

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Someone on another forum answered my question about the sound being somewhat different from each opening in season one. The sepia-toned (I had to look that up because I had no idea what that was) it's brown scaling giving it a somewhat darker look. Essentially the video opening has the exact same footage it always had, with just the added "second bionic replacement text" and spelling issue, but they used the exact original audio for each episode and played it over the one remastered video. I too am put off that they did this BUT being that it's the exact same footage and at least they used the same original music I can live with it. I mean, I guess I have to. Thank GOD they didn't leave the WHJ opening music in all episodes. I was never fond of that version at all.
Yes. I remember Kill Oscar Pt one theme. I forgot about that.
So all totaled for BW musical variations, there are WJH 1 and 2, then updated season one theme, Season two theme, kill oscar theme, and third season theme. So there were five different openings, but the video footage of the openings remained the same (for the most part) throughout the series run. The picture of Jaime on the beach was removed in season two and replaced with Rudy I think. Everything else stayed the same.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
9:00 AM 3/18 - Stop at Targhee and snatch up TBW S3
9:30 Am - 12:00PM - Church
12:30 PM - Retreve "Alternate" Set I got from "Another Source" a few years ago, then.....
HAMMER TIME!!! :laugh:

MattHR

Screenwriter
The Six Million Dollar Man: Season One has also been reduced to $19.99 at both Target and Best Buy.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
I'm loving watching these series, just getting to the Bionic Woman episodes right now.
There have been a few clunker episodes in first two seasons of sm$m
but even those bad ones have a certain charm. Anyone on the fence about these
dvds should take a gamble at those prices!

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Same here, I'm really enjoying this show more than I ever expected to and find the DVD picture quality to be miles ahead of the SM$M's first season release.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
cajunhillbilly said:
I might stop at Target this weekend to see if those prices are still good.
The first two seasons have largely disappeared from those in my area. The $8.99 might have been meant to clear out stock.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
JoeDoakes said:
The first two seasons have largely disappeared from those in my area. The $8.99 might have been meant to clear out stock.
Well, in my area at least, the $8.99 price was only temporary (an on-sale price). They went back up to $11.99 (I think) or somewhere thereabout after that. My Target kept the first two seasons in the "budget" area (with seasons of Monk, etc) while season 3 was in the "new/current" area.

MattHR

Screenwriter
The Targets in my area have consistently stocked all three seasons since their original releases. S3 has just been reduced to $19.99, while S1 and S2 have each dropped to $14.99 (after a period at $19.99). It's unusual for Target to carry a particular show for this long (1½ years for S1), so they must be good sellers for them. I've seen the $8.99 sale price at least three times for S1, and twice for S2.

Joseph Burns

Stunt Coordinator
The Bionic shows are in the process of getting an R2 re-release based on the new masters. I'm given to understand that these will be NTSC sets: no PAL conversion.
I sincerely hope that the opportunity is taken to fix some of these issues with the masters that have been much discussed here and elsewhere. While I appreciate Universal issuing a fix for "Deadly Ringer," this was only the most egregious of quite a few audio errors on The Bionic Woman as released on DVD in R1. Just as an example, the second season premiere, "The Return of Bigfoot, Part II," has severely muffled music and SFX for much of its runtime. It's great to have the original version of the episode, which for syndication was moved to The Six Million Dollar Man and retitled accordingly, just the same the audio from that version never had these problems.
Any improvements along these lines would produce sales beyond the region for completists who feel that the R1 release was needlessly flawed. I know from my conversations with other fans that I speak for more than just myself in this regard.
I wish that the R1 releases were good enough for me to declare victory and move on. The Bionic Woman has received a fantastic video transfer, much superior to the transfer of Six, where clearly the old elements were just subjected to some cleanup (with a couple of exceptions). The audio of Six is without the problems which plague the spinoff however, and of the two, clearly audio problems are the easiest to fix. Sure would be nice if a definitive release would make an appearance. Even partial improvement would make this new release an upgrade.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Joseph Burns said:
Just as an example, the second season premiere, "The Return of Bigfoot, Part II," has severely muffled music and SFX for much of its runtime. It's great to have the original version of the episode, which for syndication was moved to The Six Million Dollar Man and retitled accordingly, just the same the audio from that version never had these problems.
Joe, does the version of Bigfoot part II on the SM$M box set have the same issues as the Bionic Woman set?
I'm approaching that point in watching my box sets (i have both), and i'm going in chronological order, trying to watch them
as aired, can i avoid the audio problem on the bionic woman set with the other version?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks