What's new

BIONIC WOMAN (original series) COMING TO DVD (Kenneth johnson announces) (2 Viewers)

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Why make a copy when you know that the DVDs will be coming out in a few months? Plus kids today save their shows on DVR nowadays. They don't want to clutter up their rooms with tapes so that their parents can scream about the mess and "are you really going to watch that again?" guilt trip. You want fun - go home for the holidays and have your mother demand you go through your old VHS/Beta tapes to see what's really worth having.

Originally Posted by derosa
I wonder if kids are keeping copies of their favourite TV shows today? (doubt it)
Guess the internet is supposed to save everything for us these days,
we don't need to think about preserving our own memories for the future,
there is the assumption we'll just be able to look it up later, if it even
occurs to us...

Somehow, I think the influence of television has wained on the generations that followed.
It's really interesting to see the impact shows like Bionic Woman had on the kids
who grew up with them, creating cherished moments on young formative minds.

Good times.

bionicbear

Grip
Real Name
Scott Fisher
Originally Posted by derosa
I wonder if kids are keeping copies of their favourite TV shows today? (doubt it)
Guess the internet is supposed to save everything for us these days,
we don't need to think about preserving our own memories for the future,
there is the assumption we'll just be able to look it up later, if it even
occurs to us...

Somehow, I think the influence of television has wained on the generations that followed.
It's really interesting to see the impact shows like Bionic Woman had on the kids
who grew up with them, creating cherished moments on young formative minds.

Good times.

I remember thinking that things I liked might never be heard or seen again. I taped so many things, a lot of movies and favorite shows. I wish I kept all of them! I only have some left now. Television was a big thing back then! Kids don't know today what say, watching The Wizard of Oz was when we were little. It was an event that you had to wait for, and be home to see! I know when I was younger I didn't get that concept. I remember wanting to stop for an ice cream and my parents said if we did that I would miss The Wonderful World of Disney. I didn't understand, I thought my favorite show would be on when I turned on the TV! Guess I was dreaming of a DVR! I kept my taping craze up when we got our first VCR! I had hundreds of tapes! Most have been converted to DVD, but there are still some that haven't . I better get crackin!

bionicbear

Grip
Real Name
Scott Fisher
I am so excited! While going through my box of tapes I found a beat up one with no label. I began to play it and I heard my young voice talking to my aunt as well as some Helen Reddy songs. I was wondering why the tape was with all my Bionic Woman cassettes and was just about to stop it when I heard this!

http://bionicbear.com/bionicfiles/TheBionicWomanPremiereBumper.mp3

The Premiere announcement for The Bionic Woman on Wednesday!

Let the repair on the web and publications begin!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by bionicbear

I remember thinking that things I liked might never be heard or seen again. I taped so many things, a lot of movies and favorite shows. I wish I kept all of them! I only have some left now. Television was a big thing back then! Kids don't know today what say, watching The Wizard of Oz was when we were little. It was an event that you had to wait for, and be home to see! I know when I was younger I didn't get that concept. I remember wanting to stop for an ice cream and my parents said if we did that I would miss The Wonderful World of Disney. I didn't understand, I thought my favorite show would be on when I turned on the TV! Guess I was dreaming of a DVR! I kept my taping craze up when we got our first VCR! I had hundreds of tapes! Most have been converted to DVD, but there are still some that haven't . I better get crackin!
That's absolutely true. When something was gone in those days, it was gone. When a movie left the theater, you might see it again in three years or so, but edited on television. If it was something on the level of a James Bond film or the Wizard of Oz, it might be rerun once a year. But other than that, there was a real fear you'd never see it again. Same with television. When a show was cancelled - or worse, pulled from syndication - you never knew if it would be seen again. I can remember coming home from school one day when I was 8, ready for my afternoon of The Monkees, only to find it was replaced on the schedule. I was extremely upset; I really thought I would never see what at the time was my favorite show again.

Somewhere, I have audio tapes of the shows I loved. I can remember actually listening to them over and over back then. And some of those shows have never been issued on DVD (or any form).

bionicbear

Grip
Real Name
Scott Fisher
OK, With all the evidence that now shows that BW WHJP1 was not a Six Mil from myself and others have left me with questions. I came late to the discussion so I was wondering if someone could give me the history and evidence that suggested it wasn't. Something about supers I read or something? I know that many online guides and The Bionic Book are wrong. I would be interested in the history of when things went to Six Mil if anyone has been following this since the beginning. It has been a lot of fun and nostalgia for me!

bionicbear

Grip
Real Name
Scott Fisher
The goodies keep coming! On this unlabeled tape was the end of a Six Mil, followed by the BW premiere promo, then followed by The Return of the Bionic Woman Part 2 with The Bionic woman premiere announced as January 14th. This proves that they aired The Return of the Bionic Woman on Six Mill before TBW premiered. I can't tell from the tape if they aired both episodes on the Sunday Jan 11 or if they aired part 1 on Jan 4th and part two on Jan 11th. I am leading to believe that they played both episodes back to back before the premiere of TBW. Time for more research on this by you super sleuths. What day or days did they repeat The Return of the Bionic Woman on Six Mil? I left some promos on this clip for those that want to investigate if I don't have the time! Here is the clip!

http://bionicbear.com/bionicfiles/ROTBWEndCredit.mp3

MattHR

Screenwriter
The goodies keep coming! On this unlabeled tape was the end of a Six Mil, followed by the BW premiere promo, then followed by The Return of the Bionic Woman Part 2 with The Bionic woman premiere announced as January 14th. This proves that they aired The Return of the Bionic Woman on Six Mill before TBW premiered. I can't tell from the tape if they aired both episodes on the Sunday Jan 11 or if they aired part 1 on Jan 4th and part two on Jan 11th. I am leading to believe that they played both episodes back to back before the premiere of TBW. Time for more research on this by you super sleuths. What day or days did they repeat The Return of the Bionic Woman on Six Mil? I left some promos on this clip for those that want to investigate if I don't have the time! Here is the clip!

http://bionicbear.com/bionicfiles/ROTBWEndCredit.mp3

d13042d1_TimesDailyNews1-12-76a.jpg

3ea9d14e_PittsburghPostGazette1-14-76.JPG

17707a2a_EugeneRegisterGuard1-18-79.jpg

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
Hey Scott! Me too, I would like to thank you for sharing these goodies. You have put so many proofs about the world premiere of the Bionic Woman on ABC. It's such a thrill to hear all those audio tapes extracts. I too, was recording all sorts of things and especially The Bionic Woman. I was 15 at the time, but still like you, I was reusing sometimes the same cassettes because I didn't have enough money to buy as much as I needed. By the way, the sound quality coming from your tapes is great! After all these years... My tapes definitely can't compete with yours.
One last thing, if you ever find the short opening theme music, I would be so glad to hear it with your quality audio. It may have been introduces during the reruns that started in june 1976. Keep up the good work!

bionicbear

Grip
Real Name
Scott Fisher
Well I can confirm from the audio I have that the VO announcement of Welcome Home Jaime airing on January 14th was made at the end of Return 2 on Sunday January 4th. This is verified because the announcer makes references to Triumph and Tragedy, The Olympic Experience which aired on January 5th. So the decision was made that weekend or earlier as you proposed.

http://bionicbear.com/bionicfiles/Return2End.BW.announce.Jan.4.1976.mp3
From our timeline, the decision to change WHJ1 to become a BW ep and move its airdate must have happened the weekend of the rerun airing of "Return 2", or in the days following. Once the decision was made to move WHJ1 from 1/11, that created an opening on SMDM's timeslot. We have documentation that "The Winning Smile" was aired on 1/11 instead, as ABC would have wanted a new ep there, rather than some other repeat (since they had already heavily promoted a "Jaime" ep to be aired). "Winning Smile" scored 4th in the Nielsen ratings that week—probably higher than it otherwise would have—no doubt due to the audience tuning in expecting to see a heavily-hyped new "Jaime" ep.

bionicbear

Grip
Real Name
Scott Fisher
Originally Posted by MBrousseau
Hey Scott! Me too, I would like to thank you for sharing these goodies. You have put so many proofs about the world premiere of the Bionic Woman on ABC. It's such a thrill to hear all those audio tapes extracts. I too, was recording all sorts of things and especially The Bionic Woman. I was 15 at the time, but still like you, I was reusing sometimes the same cassettes because I didn't have enough money to buy as much as I needed. By the way, the sound quality coming from your tapes is great! After all these years... My tapes definitely can't compete with yours.
One last thing, if you ever find the short opening theme music, I would be so glad to hear it with your quality audio. It may have been introduces during the reruns that started in june 1976. Keep up the good work!

I don't have many reruns taped , but as we have learned I do have some! I will make my way through all the tapes and share any theme variations. I probably should start a new thread as this one is for the DVD release.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by MBrousseau

I, too, recorded the eps (both BW and SMDM) on audio cassette during their ABC run. In 1979, when they started airing in syndication in the Minneapolis market, I started videotaping them and then dumping the previous audio versions. I wish I had kept the audio tapes for—if nothing else—the original promo pieces.

The shorter opening title sequence is another unsolved mystery. I have a few examples of a short version from syndication recordings. I've never seen a short version on any of the foreign video releases over the years (except on the Mexican S1 NTSC set, which appears to have been mastered from already-edited 16mm syndi prints). During Kenny Johnson's commentary for "The Ghosthunter", he mentions they produced a few different versions of the opening titles to accommodate eps that either "came up short or ran longer than usual". If that's true, then a change was made to use the standard sequence for syndication and video. The running times of the BW:S1 eps do vary quite a bit, so it's entirely possible.

file:///C:/Users/Matt/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau

I don't have many reruns taped , but as we have learned I do have some! I will make my way through all the tapes and share any theme variations. I probably should start a new thread as this one is for the DVD release.
Cool!

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
Originally Posted by MattHR

The shorter opening title sequence is another unsolved mystery. I have a few examples of a short version from syndication recordings. I've never seen a short version on any of the foreign video releases over the years (except on the Mexican S1 NTSC set, which appears to have been mastered from already-edited 16mm syndi prints). During Kenny Johnson's commentary for "The Ghosthunter", he mentions they produced a few different versions of the opening titles to accommodate eps that either "came up short or ran longer than usual". If that's true, then a change was made to use the standard sequence for syndication and video. The running times of the BW:S1 eps do vary quite a bit, so it's entirely possible.
The one version I'm curious to get (in a better audio quality) is the one I did as a remake on my You Tube channel:

This is definitely not the syndicated version.

bionicbear

Grip
Real Name
Scott Fisher
Originally Posted by JohnMor
Me too. I specifically remember the one that aired at the end of "Kill Oscar, Pt. 3": "This is Lindsay Wagner. Join me and my special guest stars Julie Newmar, Abe Vigoda, Hermoine Baddley and William Windom as we take on... Vincent Price!" Sigh. Those were fun days seeing all these eps for the very first time.
John! Unfortunately Bad News. My Kill Oscar Pt 3 has "The Vega Influence" Preview. It must have been a repeat that I taped.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Can anyone explain why I have a Kill Oscar Part 3 preview stating it will be on Six Mill airing on a Bionic Woman Kill Oscar Part 2? I thought it was the other way around?

http://bionicbear.com/bionicfiles/KillOscarPart3Preview.mp3
Scott! Stop it! I can't take any more mysteries involving these shows! That is the strangest thing yet! It has to be a mistake, since KO3 definitely was aired on as a BW ep on a Wednesday, and not as SMDM on a Sunday as Richard Anderson states in that promo piece. Or did it?

MattHR

Screenwriter
MattHR said:
/forum/thread/299474/bionic-woman-original-series-coming-to-dvd-kenneth-johnson-announces/210#post_3744508
Can anyone explain why I have a Kill Oscar Part 3 preview stating it will be on Six Mill airing on a Bionic Woman Kill Oscar Part 2? I thought it was the other way around?

http://bionicbear.com/bionicfiles/KillOscarPart3Preview.mp3
Actually, that promo is from the summer repeat of the "Kill Oscar" trilogy. The original airing had Parts 1 & 3 on BW, with Part 2 on SMDM.
For the summer repeat, they switched the format to Parts 1 & 3 on SMDM, and Part 2 on BW. How's that for confusing?!

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau

Actually, that promo is from the summer repeat of the "Kill Oscar" trilogy. The original airing had Parts 1 & 3 on BW, with Part 2 on SMDM.
For the summer repeat, they switched the format to Parts 1 & 3 on SMDM, and Part 2 on BW. How's that for confusing?!
OMG! This is really twisted!

bionicbear

Grip
Real Name
Scott Fisher

Yes I am so confused. And it is apparent that I have a mix of original air and summer tapes, which is making finding things difficult. They would change the order move the previews around to accommodate the next episode. Because of this I don't think I am gonna get them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks