What's new

billy wilder 4 disc box set region 2 (1 Viewer)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This is coming from Universal and they don't have that many Billy Wilder titles. I suspect this will include already issued titles such as Double Indemnity, The Lost Weekend, Major & the Minor (issued in US) and A Foreign Affair (issued in Germany). These are all early Paramount films which Universal now own. There's also Five Graves to Cairo which they have not issued anywhere yet.

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina
Major and the Minor has been released in the UK as part of teh Ginger Rogers Screen Goddess Collection:
http://play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/1094668/S...s/Product.html

Some additional Billy Wilder movies released by Universal are:

Bluebeard's Eighth Wife (1938)
The Emperor Waltz (1948)
The Front Page (1974)
Midnight (1939)
One Exciting Adventure (1934)
Rhythm of the River (1940)
That Cirtain Age (1938)

A Foreign Affair was also released in France as part of Marlene Dietrich's releases.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Billy Wilder films controlled by Universal Studios Home Entertainment:

40s Paramount Titles
===================

The Major and the Minor
Five Graves to Cairo
Double Indemnity
The Lost Weekend
The Emperor Waltz
A Foreign Affair

Produced for Universal
==================

The Front Page

Regards,

moviefan

Agent
Real Name
justin

So most likely that it won't be a complete Wilder set of the films they own. I guess we will have to wait and find out. It would be nice if they did a complete set like the Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection.

I have seen all of the films you listed except for The Emperor Waltz and Five Graves to Cairo.

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
Carlotta Films is going to release a 2-disc edition of DOUBLE INDEMNITY in November together with a pack of Billy Wilder films. Originally it was announced that there would be three films but the latest information in french dvd foruns is that it will THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR and FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO only plus a disc of extras.

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina
Five Graves of Cairo is a terrific movie. The Major and the Minor has just been released in the UK as part of the Ginger Rogers Screen Goddess Collection.

moviefan

Agent
Real Name
justin

I'll have to check it out when it comes out. Hopefully there will be an English dub on the films and extras.

I am interested in seeing Five Graves to Cairo. I saw The Major on the Minor on Turner Classic Movies.

The Billy Wilder dvds that I own are: Double Indemnity, Sunset Boulevard, and The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes. All of these are in region 1. Originally I had the region 2 Double Indemnity, but got rid of it recently.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
It would make sense for this box to consist of:

The Major and the Minor
Five Graves to Cairo
The Lost Weekend
A Foreign Affair

That would be 4 of the 5 titles that Universal controls with the other being "Double Indemnity" which was recently issued as a 2-disc set in the US. I hope that this makes it to the US quickly, as I'm tired of staring at my VHS tapes for all of these titles except for "The Lost Weekend"

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina
I have sent an e-mail to www.sendit.com about the titles in this set and this is their reply:

"NO titles have been confirmed for this as yet - as soon as details have
been released we will update the site to reflect the new information".

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO has been passed by the BBFC so there is hope of an UK release. Otherwise I think I'll go for the french edition which has both titles I am missing (this and MAJOR).

Has MIDNIGHT been released in any region?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks