What's new

Billy Rose's Jumbo Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
lionel59 said:
I hope this leads to Blu Rays 7 BRIDES FOR 7 BROTHERS, which is taking a surprising time to make it to HD.
I would guess 7 BRIDES FOR 7 BROTHERS needs work done as it has never looked great on Home Video. Of course it was filmed in Ansco Color and may never look better than it has in the past. A great film. It is available in HD as part of Amazon Prime.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Hi Garysb. I believe I have read that the original negative was partially damaged in a fire. Even on new prints there are a few shots at the start which have a pink hue, as I guess they were taken from a faded positive print and used to make up a new IP. They must have made 3-strip Black+ White separations as original (single strip) Eastman-color negatives deteriorate over time. I would like to think that Warners will spend the money to restore 7 BRIDES as it's one of MGM's most highly regarded musicals. I have seen a 70mm print in my day which-although blown up from the 35mm negative- looked pretty good for memory (though cropped on the sides). The 1.85:1 version is actually in better shape than the 'Scope one as I guess the negs were used far less.
Sadly, Amazon Prime is only available to US (and maybe Canadian) residents. Thanks for the top nonetheless.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I'm also happy about the release of JUMBO and plan to order it. I really enjoyed the BD of GYPSY, also, which I bought over a year ago. But, is there anyone out there as confused about the Warner Archives BD choices as I am? They just announced the next two, a SUPERMAN cartoon set and a season of THE MENTALIST. With the mountain of wonderful classic films unreleased in BD form they're sitting on at Warners, this is the best they can do? I just hope that of the four they'll put out in 2014, we don't get a BATMAN cartoon set and another two seasons of THE MENTALIST maybe with something from the mid-90s thrown in for good measure. And, as much as I love musicals, could we get one classic drama or one classic comedy or something at all of another genre? I liked the original Archives and bought scores of those outstanding standard DVDs they sold, but there's not much here in their blu-ray offerings for older folks like me who'd love to see a few beloved films in BD before we're six feet under.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ed Lachmann said:
I'm also happy about the release of JUMBO and plan to order it. I really enjoyed the BD of GYPSY, also, which I bought over a year ago. But, is there anyone out there as confused about the Warner Archives BD choices as I am? They just announced the next two, a SUPERMAN cartoon set and a season of THE MENTALIST. With the mountain of wonderful classic films unreleased in BD form they're sitting on at Warners, this is the best they can do? I just hope that of the four they'll put out in 2014, we don't get a BATMAN cartoon set and another two seasons of THE MENTALIST maybe with something from the mid-90s thrown in for good measure. And, as much as I love musicals, could we get one classic drama or one classic comedy or something at all of another genre? I liked the original Archives and bought scores of those outstanding standard DVDs they sold, but there's not much here in their blu-ray offerings for older folks like me who'd love to see a few beloved films in BD before we're six feet under.
WAC answered a question for me on Facebook that more musicals were coming. They did not indicate any titles as they tend to do, but I feel there will be an announcement in early 2014.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Can't wait for them them to finally release the AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS BD just in time for the 100th anniversary in 2056! Sorry, my mistake, it is BATMAN they're releasing, SUPERMAN will be in 2014.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ed Lachmann said:
Can't wait for them them to finally release the AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS BD just in time for the 100th anniversary in 2056!
Lol. We will see it way before then.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Ed Lachmann said:
Can't wait for them them to finally release the AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS BD just in time for the 100th anniversary in 2056!
And just think there will be 8 more Wizard of Oz editions in that time period. 2018. 2023. 2028. 2033. 2038. 2043. 2048. 2053.

• Haha
Reactions: PMF

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
ahollis said:
WAC answered a question for me on Facebook that more musicals were coming. They did not indicate any titles as they tend to do, but I feel there will be an announcement in early 2014.
I bet you could get an inkling by looking at the HD musicals Warner Archive Streaming has in its library. Ziegfeld Follies, Dames, etc

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Ed Lachmann said:
Then we'll have the standard DVD, the blu-ray, the 3D blu-ray, the 4k, the 3D 4k, the 10k, the 3D 10k, the 20K....
And people will complain that the Blu-ray color is better than the 20K version.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
bigshot said:
I bet you could get an inkling by looking at the HD musicals Warner Archive Streaming has in its library. Ziegfeld Follies, Dames, etc
Ziegfeld Follies would be first day buy.

Reactions: PMF

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Amazon just contacted me and said that my "JUMBO" order is now prepared and ready to be shipped.

Didn't have to wait the usual month's delay, which is great news.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
We get another 90's movie, FEARLESS, as the next WB Archives BD. Hope the next is a classic film of some sort from their massive library, but those hopes are not high.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks