Billy Corgan's solo album "The Future Embrace"

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jean D, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Billy Corgan's solo album "The Future Embrace" will be out soon. If your interested in hearing it, go to www.billycorgan.com and go into the "multimedia" section, you can stream 4 tracks. Im listening to it now. I'll post what I think later on. So far, Im not impressed, but Im not turned off either.

2. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Corgan also took out a full page ad in today's Chicago Tribune, saying he now wants to re-unite the Smashing Pumpkins.

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I heard one track yesterday on the radio and liked it a bunch. It was cut #2 off the album.

4. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

But does he want D'Arcy or Melissa to play bass? I used to like Smashing Pumpkins until Billy shaved his head and got all full of himself (it sounds like he still is).

5. Don Lindbergh

I'd be happy with just Billy and Jimmy. Those guys will rock no matter who else is in the band.

6. Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman Second Unit

Especially Jimmy! One of the best rock drummers of all time IMHO. I bought the Zwan disc only after learning that he was playing the drums, and was not disappointed (in the drumming, at least). My wife and I went to see Zwan in Atlanta, mainly because I wanted to see Mr. Chamberlain. REALLY not disappointed that night!

7. AricB

AricB Second Unit

I agree with Larry. His ego got in the way along time ago.

8. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

I agree his blog and other interviews make me think he thinks a bit too much of himself, but I'd love to see them back together. Fat guitar sounds instead of the keyboards and other sounds he's experimenting, but I will give the new album a chance.

9. AricB

AricB Second Unit

exactly, bring back the guitars, leave the pseudo electronic sound to bands who do it well.

10. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

might pick this one up today.

11. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Did Billy ever NOT have a big ego? Seriously - I think that's just who he is, and I wouldn't blame musical clunkers on his ego. I'd bet he was always pretty insufferable. I'm a fan, but I don't get the impression that he's a nice guy...

12. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

Bah the store had it but wouldn't sell it to me since it is released 'tomorrow'

13. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Here, here...bring back the "Gish" and "Siamese Dream"-era Pumpkins!

Unfortunately, when Billy was questioned about the reunion ad at an Atlanta show last week, his response was something along the lines of, "It's not going to be the Pumpkins that everyone remembers." Too bad, because the old Pumpkins (Mellon Collie and before) kicked ass like no other. It just seems like he went from guitar hero to guitar anit-hero on "Adore" with all the keyboards and such. After seeing him on Letterman last week (I was not at all impressed) and hearing about the blog about his upbringing, I'm about ready to write him off.

14. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Maybe he should have called it "The futile embrace". I liked all the albums from Gish to Mellon Collie, but my preference goes back mostly to Siamese, Gish and Lull. WHAT HAPPENED? All things change, but there's no reason they couldn't get back together and still make good music.