What's new

Bill Hunt/The Digital Bits now PRO Hd Dvd! (1 Viewer)

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

Pioneer to make dual format drive http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=718036

LiteON HD DVD player http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=718031 and http://www.liteonit.eu/index.php?opt...209&Itemid=124

Also HP has a player in the works, no new word on the Sanyo HD DVD shown at the CES show, and after Sony trashed the Samsung I bet we see a player from then in 2007. Don't forget the xBox HD DVD player.

Finally Toshiba today announced today two new HD DVD players for Europe this year and one model outputs 1080p and has HDMI 1.3 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=718005

Stan Rozenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
I am pro hd dvd, but I won't pretend that I know what will happen. There are too many variables. But if I had to look at crystal ball, I would say that the format war will be over (de facto) by the end of 2007. If no format is dominant by that time, the dual format players will take over making the format war moot for the consumers.

DanFe

Second Unit
That's disingenuous of you Robert. Liteon also says that it will be releasing a Bluray player. The Pioneer is a computer drive, not a player to put into my entertainment center. However, at this point I wouldn't mind Stan's suggestion. To have both in one player would be great. Still, all in all, bluray has the longer term capability and promise.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
No one likes to have competing formats. But at the end of the day, if one format wins over the other, it's not like the losing format movies/discs/hardware stop working immediately. In fact, they don't stop working.

At the end of the day, isn't it about content? When I watch something, be it on DVD, TV, Blu-Ray, whatever, I don't think about the format, but the experience as a whole.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Good on Bill but I'm not surprised by his turn-around, he likes to jump on the winning wagon after it's already in the lead.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

and when Blue-ray will win he will jump again ? I don't like people who are changing their mind each time winning team CHANGE.........

Marek

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor

I dont see it that way at all and have followed Bill's site since the very first day he launched. Rather, Bill is stating the obvious. BD is "potential without commitment" while HD has done a much more thorough job. There are many assumptions about BD that may or may not materialize and Bill is simply alluding to that as well. BD promises much and delivers little; certainly less than HD and at a higher price. The assumption that 50GB BD dvds will somehow naturally and certainly be 'better' is simply that, an assumption and we all know what we do when we ass/u/me things.

Even IF BD is technically superior - and the facts certainly state otherwise - I have faith that Sony will screw it up; they have a good track record on that score.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

That's not true nor very fair to Bill.

I agree with the follow-up comment that it's quite obviouse that
the HD-DVD has thus far been handled far better than the Blu-Ray format.

Bill is only reporting the truth based on all-too-clear observations.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

well facts.... what facts are CERTAINLY otherwise ? sony using mpeg2 ? BD50 not here yet ? that's not changing a bit about BD technically superior...

Marek

MarekM

Supporting Actor

I agree with you Ronald, but ONLY REPORTING is something for professional REPORTER clear thing........ but going from pro Blue-ray to pro HD-DVD and maybe back if things will turn around again...... that is not what I call professional jurnalism........

Marek

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The "format war" is a manufacturer's war. Not a consumer's war. You're not supposed to show "loyalty" for anyone who's only trying to get your business.

In fact, I'm surprised some consumers even think that they have to "choose" for one of the formats even if it doesn't deliver (yet?). Mind you, some apparently had chosen (more than just a "preference") with a vengeance before there was anything out on any of the two formats!

Journalists are supposed to be on the consumer's side in this matter. If they're not: they have to state very clearly why they're biased (e.g. working for one of the commercial parties).

BD hasn't shown the viability of the 50Gb disc yet. HD-DVD hasn't shown the 45Gb disc yet. If they both do: none of the two is really technical superior to the other (not very much). If one of them fails: the other is obviously superior. If both fail to do the above: HD-DVD is obviously technical superior.

And as consumers we also have to weigh in the DRM differences of the two formats (and a few other considerations :) ). And then there are points to consider which have less to do with the technical merites of the two formats: availability of players, quality of the players, support by studios, availability of software, prices, etc.

Apart from that: a journalist like Bill Hunt who's expertise and insight in this matter is formidable, can only be praised when on occasion he admits having seen it slightly wrong in the past and explaining to us why he changed his professional opinion. After all, it's important that those who read his columns and believe his judgements are informed correctly. At least as correctly as he himself believes he must be.

And if indeed reality changes again and BD would need to get consumer's preference over HD-DVD: I would expect nothing less of people like Bill Hunt than to tell us so.

Nothing wrong with that!

Cees

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Bill Hunt makes some good points and when you look at it, HD-DVD has moved from a basic HD player to a very desirable player. Priced right, and within a few months of it's release Dolby True HD 5.1 from 2.0 streamed via HDMI and analog. This almost have the feel of the ugly duckling, it started out shaky then is blooming into a beautiful swan and if it comes with 1.3 HDMI then it's journey will be pretty much complete as the format to truly, truly beat.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think Bill Hunt is pro-consumer and is for whichever format that delivers the best goods to his readership.

Crawdaddy

MarekM

Supporting Actor

Yes Rober, I agree with that...... I just don't like flying from one side to other side..... when the wind changes..... someone like Bill shoud stay on BOTH sides, and make observations about each one (positiv ones and negative ones),.... he shloud not be pro blue ray or pro hd-dvd

Marek

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Marek,

I see now what you're meaning, and you're right.

But I think basically Bill Hunt isn't on "one side" indeed. He is not pro-HD DVD or pro-Blu-ray as a principle.
That's the point. He tells us how it is now as he sees it, and when currently HD DVD is to be preferred (in his professional opinion), he has to say that.

It's the people who are thinking in "sides", who accuse him of switching sides (or hailing him for it). Bill just tells it as he sees it.

Cees

MarekM

Supporting Actor

Cees you have som very good and valid points there, but one is not very OK from my point of view..

- 45GB HD-DVd is not in the specs right ? so there is not big chance we will see it soon right ? maybe maybe next year...
-50 GB DL of blue-ray, we will see it at least this year with KOH, so we can say it's here and coming..... right ? same as in old time with DVD9 and mybe it will come slower......

so 45GB TL HD is in clouds, where 50GB DL is coming....

and about loyality point........I think that's what Bill showd first with Blue-ray and now with HD-DVD, or am I incorrect ?

Marek

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

I think this thing will be up and down for awhile. Momentum has been on HD-DVD for awhile...but with more players soon to be out on Blu-Ray, and some nice titles from Fox- expect that "wind" as you say to change some. Sony and their camp will not go quietly in the night...:) Might even change alot and I also expect alot of knee jerk reactions from consumers. Seems inevitable.

As consumers we do take it personal since we have chosen sides with our pocket book in the beginning. I just hope we remain calm and courteous....after all it's a format, not a cure for cancer.

:)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Tim,

It's weird ... I read a lot of posts on this forum ( :) ), but the most fervent, most blind proponents of a specific format are almost always people who haven't invested a cent yet in any, let alone their preferred, format.

Certainly not bought a player yet, and one can only guess how many of "their" format's DVD releases they own.

Strange as it seems, this is true!

Cees

PS: While of the people who did buy into one format, several invested in the other format as well!
C.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

I agree, Tim.

Also, with the VC-1 titles being issued on BD by Warners, the quality issues will become less prevalent. By early next year, we should have a good idea on how each format rates as a platform for high def movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks