What's new

Bill Frissell new CD (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Due to the high praise of Bill Frissell by many people, including a couple on this very forum, I've recently been getting into Bill Frissell. The first album I picked up was Gone, Just Like A Train. I really dug this, so I went ahead and got Good Dog, Happy Man. Not quite as strong as the first, but still a pleasant listen. Then I got Nashville. This is real fun listen, though I usually skip the tracks with vocals.

The other day in the record, I see a Frissell album with Elvin Jones and Dave Holland. Without hesitation, I ran to the check-out counter with this baby.

Elvin Jones- as the drummer for the colossal John Coltrane Quartet, this man's credentials speak for themselves. He is one of my favorite drummers ever, and sadly underrated.

Dave Holland- I've gushed about his recent work extensively. His bass playing is tasteful, phrased perfectly, and highly skilled.

So, it's easy to see how picking this one up would be no-brainer. However, I must say I am quite dissappointed. Of course, anyone's entitled to release bad albums here and there, but I find it odd that it was done with these two talents. Maybe I need to listen to this one again, I dunno.

The thing that bugs me most is that Elvin Jones isn't on the album. Oh sure, he's playing drums, but he isn't doing anything beyond hitting the beats. Why not just get any ol' drummer for this? Why get Elvin Jones if you're not going to have him play like Elvin Jones?

While there is, of course, good guitar playing and some excellent ideas, it often seems that the guitar playing goes nowhere and the ideas don't get fully realised. It kind of reminds me of a Phish album *shudder*

I'm going to listen once more before I decide whether or not to keep it.

What do you guys think? Am I just nuts?

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
What are you doing in the music forum, techno-boy? Go back to building your little subwoofer and listening to metronome music.

You just wait and see, someone will come along, save this thread, and prove you wrong.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Um, not sure I can save your thread, but I'll chip in with almost relevant comments...

Sounds like that Frisell disc simply doesn't add up to the sum of its parts. Though I'm struggling to think of another good example, I know I've come across this a number of times (in both Rock and Jazz). Boy, wouldn't you love to see that trio live though! If it's any consolation, the disc gets a pretty bad review from the Allmusic Guide with very similar coments to yours (Jones doesn't let loose, etc.).

I only have Frisell's "Lookout For Hope" and though it seems to be critically lauded, it never has quite grabbed me. Opens strong, but just never gels into anything I can hang my hat on. Great guitar sound though.

As for Holland, I absolutely love his disc "Extensions". In particular the track 'The Oracle' that has some gorgeous tuned percussion sounds. Kevin Eubanks plays guitar on the album and you'd never guess he's in Leno's late night band. He rips some great solos...

James RD

Supporting Actor
You're not completely nuts, Mike.;) Jones is a little subdued, to say the least. I still like the album. Not my favorite, but quite enjoyable. I always like to see what he will do next:
Soon to be released:
Bill Frisell and the Willies. This is Bill's characteristically inimitable and modern take on bluegrass and country blues with Danny Barnes (from the Bad Livers) on banjo and guitar and bassist Keith Lowe (known for his work in Fiona Apple’s band and Wayne Horvitz’ “Zony Mash”). It is being recorded in Seattle at Flora Street Studios with producer Lee Townsend and engineer Tucker Martine. The CD will feature such traditional songs as "Cluck Old Hen", "John Hardy", "Single Girl", "Sugar Baby", "Blackberry Blossom", "Sitting on Top of the World", "Goodnight Irene" and "Cold, Cold Heart" and, of course, original compositions by Frisell. The CD is scheduled for release in 2002 on Nonesuch
See - something a bit different.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Bob, I'll look out for Extensions. Have you heard Prime Directive and Not For Nothin'? Great stuff.

Blue Dream is another Frissell album that I've seen. How's that one?

I still need to give the Jones/Holland one another listen.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Haven't heard Holland's 2 most recent ones, but the reviews have been quite glowing. I still haven't picked up "Conference Of The Birds" either and that's supposed to be a doozy. Maybe I'll try to scoop some new Holland this weekend...

Nice to see a reference to Zony Mash in James' post. I have "Cold Spell" and just by coincidence listened to it last night. I'm a sucker for a Hammond B3 and the whole album has a nice groove to it (not quite as low down and dirty as some other B3 stuff, but still good). I liked "Upper Egypt" as well, but it seemed a little more scattershot. I should still pick it up one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks