Bilingual Covers Question

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Michael Pakula, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

I just wanted to know which studios are the good ones
    when it comes to Biliginual Packaging in canada and which are the bad ones. The reason im asking is because there are several dvds like the running man coming out in the next few months. So I just want to confirm the good from bad studios so I can make a list for future reference.

-Mike

2. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

Good:

- Warner Brothers/HBO
    - Fox (tho some box sets and 2 disc editions have removable French English sheets - tho the packaging itself remains English)
    - Columbia/Tri-Star
    - MGM
    - Anchor Bay

In between:

- Disney/Touchstone/Buena Vista (there is no french, tho a yellow 'French Version Included' circle is printed on the cover.
    - Criterion (Alliance released the CC version of Traffic, tho this may be because they own the rights to the film from USA - I have not seen them take over other CC titles yet)

Bad:

- Alliance Atlantis (this includes Miramax, Dimension, USA Films, and New Line Pictures/Fine Line Films)
    - Paramount
    - Universal Studios
    - DreamWorks

3. Michael Pakula

What about Artisan?. Are they ok?.

-Mike

4. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

I would change that to:

Subpar:
    - Alliance Atlantis (this includes Miramax, Dimension, USA Films, and New Line Pictures/Fine Line Films)
    - Paramount

Terrible:
    - Universal Studios
    - DreamWorks

simply because while Alliance and Paramount include French, they're relatively small...on the other hand, the ones for Universal and Dreamworks are mostly HUGE (eg. Catch me if you can, Back to the Future)

not that it matters to me since I don't care...but just thought you would like to know. [​IMG]

EDIT: I think Artisan is ok, haven't had a bilingual cover from them yet.

5. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Michael: Not addressing your question directly, but why don't you just eliminate the problem and get the U.S. editions? They are almost always cheaper than the "Canadian" editions at amazon.ca. However, you *must* pre-order the U.S. editions from them, they're generally not available very shortly after being released.

6. Paul_Stachniak

Both are just as bad.

7. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Have had no problems with Artisan and bilingual packaging.

8. Tom Tsai

"Both are just as bad."

Sure. Whatever you say. [​IMG]

9. Michael Pakula

I usuaully do the get the u.s editions if it has bilingual packaging but I do try to pick up
    locally what I can that isnt bilingual packaging.

-Mike

10. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

With Artisan titles, they get released by Alliance Atlantis over here with their logo imprint(Young Guns, Terminator 2 Extreme version, Dirty Dancing). Other titles however get only get a sticker- perhaps because they lack a French soundtrack (examples...waxwork, watchers two-packs).

Can't comment if the first set with printed logos are bilingual as I have the US versions.[​IMG] Considering that Running Man is a big title for Artisan, I have a feeling that Alliance will muck it up with their own slightly altered cover.

11. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

I have to disagree. If they have to have French on the cover I would rather have the French title printed with a small font. What Disney/Touchstone does is even uglier. It is like a yellow stain marring the cover art. The best thing would be to make the "French included" sticker removable: barring that the French titles should be in a small font outside of Quebec, while the reverse should be true within Quebec.

I'm not totally against having French titles on the cover. After all, this country does have two official languages. There is a federal law requiring packaging to have French and English.

12. Tom Tsai

^ I agree...I mean I don't see Asians complaining that there are often English titles on their Asian movies/dvds.

13. Michael Pakula

I guess its safe to say I shouldn't bother with picking up The Running Man when it comes out but rather pre-order it along with The School Of Rock,The Rundown,and The Skulls 3 (I know it wont be any good but I have the first two). I will however pick up Panic Room since it's Columbia Tri Star so that's good news.

-Mike

14. Paul_Stachniak

^ Yeah I ordered School of Rock from Amazon.com

15. Jim Spencer

Jim Spencer Stunt Coordinator

Another place you can get the US discs in Canada is from Columbia House Canada. I just received Narc (Paramount), Midnight Run & Scarface(Universal) from them and there is no Bilingual packaging on them at all.

16. ChrisRose

ChrisRose Stunt Coordinator

Hey Jim...Do you know if Columbia House Canada sells Disney DVDs? The animated classics?

I hate those big yellow blobs. I agree with Edwin-S, about removable "French included" stickers on the packaging. I don't see why it has to be on the actual cover art, marring the design.

17. Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen Second Unit

I have only received canadian versions from Columbia House Canada.

18. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

The reason for bilingual packaging comes from Canada being a bilingual country. Maybe if Quebec seperates and becomes it's own country then the reason for bilingual packaging will go away.

19. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

^So what you are saying is the disintegration of Canada as country is worth it, as long as you don't have to look at French on your DVD covers? Okaaaaayy! [​IMG]

20. rhett

rhett Supporting Actor

I refuse to buy bilingual covers. I don't care if we are a bilingual country, they are still butt ugly. And what I don't understand is why companies do it on DVD but do not do in on VHS, what is the deal? DVD is a collector's format, where people are way more anal about things like botched artwork, so you'd think companies would just leave the DVDs in english and destroy the VHS artwork instead.