What's new

Bikers - Reccomend a Road Bike (1 Viewer)

Paul O

Stunt Coordinator
The last 10 years i've ridden nothing but mountain bikes. I want to get a road bike to improve my stamina and frankly the trails are getting too crowded too have fun on. I know a bit about selecting a Mountain Bike as i have a Specialized Dual Suspension XC bike w/Aluminum Frame but i know NOTHING about Road Bikes. I'm not going to Race but i want something that won't hold me back. I want to spend around 4-500 for a bike - which for a mountain bike won't get you much. Can anyone make any recomendations on what too look for in this price range and is it too low to get a quality bike - remember, i'm not looking to enter the Tour De France.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Comparible quality road bikes are typically a bit more than comparible quality mountain bikes. Economy of scale, etc. etc. Something to look for in any price range is fit, with a budget of $400-$500 though, you're not looking at much for road bikewise so look for a quality frame that would be upgradable so you choose to. I gather the equivalent of Shimano RS100/RSX (or whatever the latest equivalent group name, I don't know) stuff. I would also suggest to scour the local ads and see if you can get a used one, again, one with a frame that is in good shape, you can replace stuff that's worn/broken. I would think a comparible $500 mountain bike would be around $700 on a road bike, something equivalent to getting Shimano STX components with perhaps a Deore Rear der.

Campy would be too expensive as they are much more than Shimano. Steel is known as poor man's Ti and I prefer steel over aluminum, myself, even if it is a tad bit heavier in general. You'll have to decide what kind of pedals you want, you may be familiar with the Speedplay Frog MTB pedal, you might want to look at the X series from Speedplay, they are somewhat similar to a road cleat, lots of float.

Since you ride a Specialized, they make decent road bikes, although a tiny bit more known for their MTB, which means you can probably get one at a good price. An old Allez, is a good bargain. However, you'll find Treks, Giants, Bianchis, in that price range too, just compare the fit and pick a price range....

Jay

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
In addition to what Jay said, ebay and craigslist can both be good resources for used bikes. Once you know what fits you, definitely look at the used market - I picked up a full carbon fiber Specialized Epic Allez for $600. My MTB has seen very limited action since I've gotten my road bike.

Andrej

Jim Ed

Agent
There are two points I think are also very important.

1.) Finding a LBS (Local Bike Shop) who will size, fit and work with ya on the bike. It is also nice if they ride with you. I ride with the shop owners many times a week both road and mountain. That level of service is awesome.

2.) Also fit is the key rode biking. Centimeters and Millimeters do make a big difference once you get over the first five miles or so.

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,

I was in the same situation...I rode only mountain for about 8 years. I bought a rode bike last year, and it has been amazing. I've been enjoying the road riding more then the mountain. This comes from someone who grew up racing motocross and also has a 45 lb. downhill specific bike. I never thought I would enjoy a road bike, but after 8 years I needed something different.

My point is that you may be the same way...so put as much into the road bike as you can. They are typically more then mountain bikes. But you may find yourself putting it to good use!

Tony_Woods

Stunt Coordinator
While neither a road bike or a mountain bike, I recently picked up a Gary Fisher Zebrano (hybrid) for a little over $400 and am very happy with it. I road various MTBs over the years and the tires and position of the hybrid make riding to work and hitting the local trails much more enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread