What's new

Biggest Loser - Season 7: Couples Discussion (merged) (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You see, Brian...I don't believe any of that.

I work in broadcasting (TV & radio) and I sincerely don't believe these shows have writers...or that the outcome is plotted out ahead of time. I hope you are wrong about that. And I would have to think that everyone involved in these shows hopes you are never proven right...because they would be facing jail for defrauding the public. Some pretty stiff laws were enacted after the quiz show shenanigans of the 1950s.

I fully understand the "realities" of Reality TV that there are crews assigned to each participant or team and the incredible planning/editing that goes into blocking the filming to prevent footage of camera/audio crew from being seen.

But if the outcome is manipulated outside of production strategies which all need to be in place before shooting actually begins, there would be a whole lot of trouble facing the producers of these shows.

Any interview I've ever read with any of these shows' producers always includes questions about game-changing events and if they were done "on the fly" to control the direction of the game. To an individual, they deny that those manipulations take place and insist that various events are planned-out well before game-play actually begins.

I guess I could be naive about certain things...but this would be too much of a big money con for them to take any such risk.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
There are aspects of the show that are out of their control of course. They are letting the contestants vote of course. On something like biggest loser, they can't predetermine who loses what. But, the story that is told to the viewer is completely crafted from week to week and there are aspects that are introduced on various shows to shift things from happening. It does not have to be crafted before the show is cast for it to be crafted by the time it is edited and broadcast. And, if you watch the ultra fast streaming credits on these shows, there are notices that discuss how certain things in the show have been changed, or not shown...or even in Top Chef on Bravo they flat out say that the eliminated player is done not only by the judges, but in consultation with the shows producers...which means that they are keeping around the folks who make for good TV. Even on American Idol, in an effort to not have a repeat of the Sanjaya situation (which was out of their control)...so they now have the "judges save" in an effort to keep around who they want to keep around. It all might be a little more transparent than the Quiz Show situation of decades ago...but it is still derivative of it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh, I have major issues with the editing that goes on with these shows. I believe strongly that they are overly manipulative when it comes to creating storylines when I think, in most cases, the actual drama of the game would be enough to keep viewers involved and interested.

I have not seen an instance you describe in the credits of a explanation of why something wasn't shown, etc. That would bug me.

It's a very interesting topic, this entire subject.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co

My comment about Ron and his 10 lbs. wasn't meant to bash him. I was truly amazed he lost that much at home. The prior 7 weeks he was pulling 4, 5 or 6, (with 2 7's thrown in there). So to have pulled 10 and while at home, well I was just surprised.

Matt_A

Stunt Coordinator
Watching Tara stick it to the rest of the contestants after being ganged up on like that was brilliant. Way to stick it to them!

I also liked how Laura talked her out of letting her stress get to her. I think Laura has grown quite a bit on this show in the last several weeks.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Yes, Tara should have looked at it as, "hey worst case, I don't win the challenge and don't have immunity. But I'm gonna bust hump to make sure my numbers are so good that immunity doesn't really matter".

Tara also needs to have some detailed discussions with Jillian and try to get to the bottom of why she's pulling small numbers. Is she over-training? Or maybe not eating enough or the right stuff. She certainly seems to be putting the effort, so her numbers should be better.

Ron irked me again. Especially his nasty attitude about Helen not choosing the trainer he thought she should have chosen, Bob. Everyone had to make that decision as a personal choice and who the heck is he to deride someone for how they chose?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah. Tara's a machine and is headed for a victory...as long as she doesn't slip up and land below that line. She shouldn't, she's so strong...but you never know.

I'm predicting (pretty easy at this late date) her & Mike to go down to the wire. He should be getting so much stronger as he gets thinner...he's so young. Of course, too much muscle will hold down his weight loss numbers.

I figured this may have been another week where Tara might've held back a bit after winning immunity.

I was kinda surprised Mike didn't do better in the car-pulling challenge. And I was stunned to see Ron's weight-loss numbers given how hobbled he seems to be while working out and in challenges.

How come Laura didn't engage in car-pulling? An unnamed health concern? I was out of the room for a minute.

I couldn't believe how much air time they gave to the "pick your trainer" exercise!

And Felipe is such a girl. He seems to get ultra-emotional at the drop of a hat. And those shots of the Tonganese picnic were hysterical. Probably taken from their week home? Everyone was HUGE.

As much as I hate the oh-so-obvious product placement schtick...those grilled skewers featuring the marinated roast turkey will make an appearance at my house this spring/summer! :D

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Not only did Laura not pull, but Kristen and possibly some others. No reason given. I guess they just decided to opt themselves out of contention.

See, I thought winning immunity Tara might have held back, (or drank a lot of water just before weigh-in ... this makes the next week easier to pull big numbers). But she really wanted to hit 100, unless she just decided a week later would be fine.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

You certainly can't accuse her of being stupid. She's got to see the big picture. Why go for a big number when you may not have immunity the next time. Then, next time you get the 100 pound milestone...plus stay in the game for another week...getting closer to the ultimate victory.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I'm a little confused. The returning contestants were told that whoever won the weigh-in among the three of them would get to come back to the ranch AND have immunity for the week. Nicole wins the weigh-in but gets voted off at the end of the week? Did I miss something?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

There was the slightest of mentions by Alison Sweeney just as she was going up for her weigh-in that she "has immunity, AS LONG AS SHE DIDN'T GAIN WEIGHT ON THE WEEK."

It was pretty lame that that little gem (fine print) wasn't disclosed earlier on (at least to the audience).

It makes a certain amount of sense seeing as how many contestants with immunity have decided to artificially add-on some weight those weeks in order to falsely create an impression of even-greater weight loss the subsequent week.

Hard to believe Ron has been below the yellow-line five times and survived each time.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh...and I think Allison Sweeney was smart not to take too much time off after giving birth..because Ali Vincent & Michelle both did terrific jobs filling-in--even though they are both NON-PROFESSIONALS! :laugh:

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I was thinking the same thing. I think the producers have an ace in their back pocket if Allison decides she wants a pay raise.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ya know, Bob Harper is always railing about all the "drama" there is in "his house"...yet it seems with each passing season he gets more and more involved in discussing game play with his players.

It's one thing when the game play affects an individual's weight loss (stress, etc.) and the trainers counsel the contestant on how best to deal with it...but to succumb to participating in straight-up strategy sessions ("So-and-so would vote this way in this situation and blah-blah-blah) seems like it would be out of bounds for the trainers.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Well I think if Ron was below the line with anyone besides Nicole (or Tara), then he would have been voted off. The only reason more voted off Nicole is because, if she recovered from whatever messed up her first week back, she would have been a big threat. But a lot of them now know, they can't trust Ron and without the situation I just described, he'd be gone. I was surprised Dr. Huzeinga let him continue on. With 2 ulcers, one just healed and the other healing, anything could happen.

Matt_A

Stunt Coordinator
It will be interesting in coming weeks, that's for sure. It seems Tara has really leveled off in her weight loss the last bunch of weigh ins. I think she's gonna have to step it up a bunch to stay in there.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I was surprised to see Ron do something for someone's good and not game play, as he has been doing for the last 7 or so weeks. Because yes, strictly from a viewpoint of what's better for Mike, would have been to dump Kristen and leave Laura, who would have been low every week now.

Matt_A

Stunt Coordinator
Wow. I didn't expect Ron to two-face it that way, but I guess he'll do whatever he can for his son. Mike's getting a little cocky in his attitude. It was funny seeing Tara/Filipe's faces when Mike affirmed that yes, he will win. I don't think they're going to let him get the prize without a fight.

I was sad to see Kristen go. I would have rather seen Helen go, since she's there at the expense of her daughter.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My dream threesome at the finale would have been Mike, Tara & Kristen. And Kristen would have had something of an advantage because of all the weight she still had to lose.

Although I suspect it is now too late, Ron has got to go. It was a huge tactical error to have kept him around so long.

The only thing missing during the audio-only conversation between Ron & Mike about how to vote was the Godfather theme. Even crime bosses don't always realize (or stupidly forget) that people (themselves!) might be wearing a wire. My guess is they were probably thinking they were temporarily out of reach of cameras (bathroom anyone?!?) but forgot about their wireless mics. I could almost see where wearing the mics 24/7 for 16 weeks one might actually forget they are wearing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks