What's new

Biggest "Bombs" on DVD? (1 Viewer)

docdoowop

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt

I kind of agree with you...the concept didn't really hold up past the first few episodes. And it looks dated already with the early '90s clothing fave, the flannel shirt, on the protagonist.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
The SCTV sets for $90? Puh-leez!!!
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. $90.
I'm assuming these were failures because I resently paid from $13 to $28 for each SCTV volume and $20 for Buck. ;)

I was researching Old Yeller (the double feature set with the sequel) and found that classic live action films didn't sell nearly what Disney had hoped. It's hard to believe in the case of Old Yeller. Certainly in the top 3 of Disney Live action films along with stuff like Darby O'Gill and Treasure Island. They turned them into double feature sets because of this. I just got the Old Yeller and Witch Mountain sets for $22. That's for all 4 films.

Tim Mauldin

Stunt Coordinator
The new Outer Limits must have bombed, the first season was released a couple of years ago, but that has been it. I was hoping that all the seasons of that show would eventually be released.

Joe:C

Second Unit
Mary Tyler Moore

Lost In Space- At least the first season. The subsequent seasons were split seasons.

G.I. Joe- I've read that these sets didn't do well at all.

David Levine

Supporting Actor

That's the one that surprises me. It didn't do anywhere near what Transformers, Thundercats, He-Man or TMNT did.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

But it seemed a lot of people went cold on the Lost in Space DVDs because of the crummy transfers - especially when compared to what Fox did for Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Yeah, it's thanks to you, Radioman970, that I was able to finally get the SCTV90 sets for $15 a piece...you're right, the original pricing for those was ludicrous.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Last episode I watched (the one with a Fantasy Island parody) was only a little funny (basically, the Fantasy Island bit) and I was thinking, I hope Firebee doesn't hate me when he gets to this episode!

But thanks for crediting me with that deal. I ended up paying a bit more for the series as a whole. Worth what I paid, but not worth the original pricing. Ouch!

Oh, Mystery Science Theater 3000 Vol 10 was a bit blunder because of a rights goof. Released, then recalled a few months down the line. At least it's been altered slightly and getting a redo.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, several of the 'one and done' shows that I have must have been bombs or there would have been more than one season. Those include:

Baretta, SWAT, Kojak, McMillan & Wife, Quincy, Police Woman, Fantasy Island, McCloud, and Alias Smith and Jones.

I've pretty much given up hope that any more of those series will be coming out. It's a shame too. All of those shows I would have gladly continued.

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Yes your right I got Hawaii five-0 for best buys "sale prices" of 39.99 not 44.99 mark on the sticker, but again were I live in LA county CA it wasnt loss leadered in any ads. So here in affect it a steath release of a possible top selling dvd????:frowning:

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Yes especially Kojak and mccloud are for me the two biggest one and done bummers on that list, hopefully shout maybe willl pick up Kojak and keep cranking out the ironside dvd sets

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I know that the SCTV numbers were a disappointment to the people at Shout. Well, I shouldn't say I KNOW, like I've chatted with them, but I'm pretty sure they expected it to do better. Did the cost cause a problem? Probably, though I don't think that it could be helped; I think getting various rights for different elements was simply really pricey.

Too bad it looks like they won't release any more... :frowning:

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
A&E's late-2004 release of the British 1960s adventure series, THE CHAMPIONS, in R1. It was a single-season show, but was one of the earlier split-season releases, and was (at least, initially) a DeepDiscountDVD exclusive. They never did bother releasing the second half of the season.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
It sure seems like there are tons of BOMBs these days. Every other series is getting 1 and done.

I can understand them expecting the recent series (Lost, CSI, Smallville, etc) will sell well, but with older series, what are their expectations now? I can't understand the logic anymore.

They keep trying one after the other after the other after the other. And abandoning one after the other after the other after the other.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

I agree. It's hard to instill consumer confidence when many people say point blank they don't buy the first season until the second season is out (paging Joseph Heller). Perhaps if a show does not hit its stride in its first season (which is almost every show in creation), people will watch the first season, be underwhelmed, and not follow up.

Of course it would help if studios would try to promote the show in any way. I don't need to go over the laundry list of excuses why they don't. The current model of throw-a-hundred-shows-to-the-wall-discreetly does not work. It never worked. Let's face it: they got greedy, they wanted maximum profits out of minimal effort, and now the goose that laid the golden eggs is dead. Had the Mary Tyler Moore Show been promoted properly, it might have sold better; (and how much could it have cost to make if it sold 150,000 copies and is considered a failure). It's always a gamble, but the studios have been playing too safe for too long.

BobSchneider

Second Unit

I think also shout over estimate the sales based very very small but loyal fan base. In the US SCTV was usually show very very late night saturdays or sunday mornings (1 to 2 am). And even when it was re ran otv (dont get cable) it usually end up in a even later week end time slot. Lot of people didnt get the show because it was a fairly high concept parody of all bad tv, but that been said it could be very uneven, look more amateur than the shows they were paroding. So sctv set with stupid price Im not shock it had failed. :frowning:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I was thinking the same thing while revisiting SCTV. I'm absolutely the audience for it since about 98% of the material I don't have to google to know what they are poking fun at. I pretty much get it and indeed used to watch late night TV with a passion back when it was worth watching.

I think SCTV fits in the catagory of top favorites among people in the entertainment biz. MST3K is the same way.

But it actually is a shame that we didn't have to pay much for these sets. Shout! did a great job getting them released. I'm impressed with the amount of music they got and many of my fav bits are intact like the Richard Harris "cake in the rain" and Christopler Cross/Michael McDonald "Ride like the Wind" bit. Awesome to have those. So the lesson here is fans shouldn't wait for stuff like this, but pay the higher price so we'll get more. I know, Mr Obvious, but it doesn't hurt to put that here for reference for those like me who did wait. Perhaps there should be a thread that lists specialized items like this that we fans should support more by spending more to get them. SCTV would been in that thread easily.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Same deal with "Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)," another half-season release from A&E. Incidentally, HamiltonBook.com is currently offering "the Champions" for $19.95 plus shipping, so it's being remaindered at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks