Big Thunder RR, Disneyland Derails

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ron-P, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/090...eyland_ax.html

2. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

the driftwood theater is near disneyland?!?!, can i come over and watch?!? =D

3. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    That is terrible, terrible news. It will be interesting to see what the cause is, with the maintanence budgets having been slashed in the last couple of years.

4. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Wow. And here I was being upset that the Thunder Mountain Rail Road will be closed in DisneyWorld when I'm there this October.

My condolences to the families. Nobody ever thinks of being injured, much less killed, at a "safe" place like an amusement park.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Disneyworld or Disneyland? They won't close the one in Florida because of the accident in Cali will they?

6. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

7. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

That's a shame. It's only a matter of hours till we hear about the lawsuits.

8. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

9. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I was just reading an article the other day about ride inspections (I can't recall the link though). It talked about one of the coaster inspectors at Busch gardens, and how it was a 6 hour inspection of all coaster components every day to ensure safety. I can only assume that Disney is as thorough...and at what they charge for admission they should be! I'll be interested to see what actually happened to the ride.

10. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    Al Lutz has been a thorn in the side of Disney for years, but he is extremely knowledgeable about the goings on at Disneyland.

His preliminary write up is here, for those wanting more information:

http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al090603a.htm

11. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> the driftwood theater is near disneyland?!?!

The fact that Ron has the word Disneyland under his name was my first clue. [​IMG]

12. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

Very sad to hear this.

I was there with the HTF National Meet in September of 2001 (almost exactly two years ago, whoa), and I actually took some video clips while on the ride -- I believe Ron Epstein was with me on this ride at the time I took the clips, too. I looked through the three 15-second clips I have, and I think I have the spot the accident occurred on one of the mpegs (information on the link provided by Jonathan above describes the location as being in one of the tunnels that banks to the right before exiting and turning to the left, which describes at least one of the two or three tunnel shots I have). The clips are quite jerky (obviously; try holding a camera still on any rollercoaster!), but I was near the back of the ride so you can definitely make out most of the surroundings and the excitement of the riders and the noise of the ride itself. Unfortunately, though, I don't have the means to make them available for download.

I hope the injured recover well, and wish well for the family of the deceased.