Big screen TV's

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Steven Kephart, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Steven Kephart

Oct 1, 2002
    Here's the situation. My grandpa is well off. He lives with my parents, who take care of him. He can't see very well, and after experiencing a big screen at my uncles, he would like one. So they are shopping for a big screen, with my help. He seemed to like the size of the 65" TV's.

What I'm trying to do is figure out which is the best way to go, for the best price. After doing some looking, we have really liked the Toshiba picture best. Although I thought the Sony pictures looked good as well.

To get some more experience comparing the different quality pictures, I went into Circuit City. I got hit by one of the salesmen, so I asked a couple questions to get some answers. Now I need to sift through the BS. He tried to up-sell me to the plasma TV's. He explained that after like 100,000 hours of use, you have to replace the bulbs in the rear projection TV's, and that can be VERY expensive. He said you don't have to do anything like that with Plasma TV's. Well I wasn't sure how long it would take to get to 100,000 hours of use, but I figured it would take a while. I also asked him about DLP technology, and he first explained it had something to do with the plasma TV's. When I mentioned that I saw it on rear projection TV's as well, he changed his answer to that it was some sort of processing to the picture. I couldn't get anymore info about it out of him, probably because he didn't know.

I next went to Sears to see what they have. This salesman seemed to be much more honest with me, and seemed to actually know what he was talking about. He didn't try and upsell me into anything else, and just talked about the TV I was interested in. He mentioned that the rear projections will last for around 10 to 12 years without a problem. I explained what I was told at CC, and he said that actually the plasma TV's need servicing sooner since you have to replace the plasma in them. He says that happens after like 8,000 hours of use.

I then asked him about the DLP technology, and he explained that it used thousands of mirrors in the center of the screen, and sends the picture out radially. He said this gives it better color, which was obvious, but also a lot better picture off axis. I could definitely see the difference.

And now to make a long story short (too late), I will ask some specific questions.

1. Would it be worth while to spend a little more and get one of the few companies TV's that uses the DLP technology? I am very happy with my Toshiba TV, and I would like to stick with one of the better brands. Going Samsung or Optoma (never heard of it till now) with such a large price tag item seems like a large gamble. Or do those companies make good quality TV's?

2. Which would have the best reliability? If in 5 years we will spend as much on the rear projection as on the plasma, maybe it would be worth it to go with the plasma in the first place.

3. Are we going to see problems (needing replacement bulbs, replace plasma, etc.) where it would be worth getting any of the extended service plans?

4. Do you think it would be a bad idea to buy from one of our distributors that isn't local, and save a couple hundered bucks? I figure having the place local may be worth the extra cost. Plus they deliver and install, which will be nice since it goes upstairs. An example of the savings would be that I can get the Toshiba 65H83 65" TV for $1999 (plus shipping and handling) through our distributor IIRC. It's $2499 at Sears.
  2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Aug 19, 2002
    First of all, the CRT based RPTV's do not have a bulb that needs to be replaced. The salesman had no clue. Only DLP and LCD based RPTV's have bulbs and the Toshiba is not one of those.

If your grandfather likes the 65", it will be impossible to get a plasma in that size for under $10,000. Plasma is great if you can afford it, but you can get an equal or better picture for much less in dollars and much bigger in size. Basically, that Toshiba (or a comparable CRT based RPTV) will give you the best ratio of size/price with a quality picture to boot. Other technologies have their pluses and minuses, do a search for DLP and LCD to view these.