What's new

Big Love ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

No, the problem with enforcing polygamy laws in polygamist communities is that most of the people in law enforcement are polygamists themselves who obey the prophet first and the law second.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Great finale. I felt so bad for Barb...it's amazing how much I've grown to like her this season!

Who knows what will happen next season. I'm certainly going to be there watching it!

Alex F

Stunt Coordinator
Beautiful ending. Not the best episode, but it really felt like an ending, with a higher sense of drama yet still bizarrely hilarious. Can't wait for season 2.

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
Very impressed.

The finding out who actually poisoned his dad and how actually FUNNY the situation had gotten...

The family being exposed...

I will be there next season.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Did you see the way the "pool guy from Seinfeld" was staring at them when they where driving home? Seems they are definitely "exposed".

Maybe S2 will be Home Plus folding and the family moving to the compound.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to have to re-watch this finale again, lots of small details that end up creating life-changing events for the Hendricksons.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

I don't think there was any deeper meaning to that, I think his presence (and the presence of the anti-polygamist store employee at the ceremony) was there to show that even though the audience knows that Roman phoned in the polygamy tip, there are several suspects as far as the Henriksens are concerned. This will give the writers something to work with instead of having them retaliate against Roman immediately in season 2.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Roman's Teenage Wife to be overheard what he did, she wants to stay with them so I predict she'll Rat out Roman. For them the greatest Mortal Danger is not Death, as alot of us thought Roman Might retaliate for Alby, but I think "Exposing" is even more Heinous to the community than actually killing someone.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
As bad as it might get with them getting exposed. I can't see the Home store folding. It will definitely take a hit. But, it's not like a small store. And he is not doing anything "technically" illegal since he is not married "officially" to the other wives.

And can he finally get Roman without Roman coming right back and nailing him harder than Bill hits him??? I know they have to keep him around as the foil to Bill. I am surprised Roman would start any crap. Even if Bill didn't have the files from the company. Since any big fight might bring unwanted legal and government attention.

Also, with regards to them getting exposed. I don't know if they are. Since it seemed like the First Lady wanted it kept quiet.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

That's what all polygamists do and it is still illegal. Not legally marrying subsequent wives is just an attempt at staying low-profile.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

Yeah, but it would be highly unlikely for anyone to even attempt to prosecute over the bigamy law. There is a current case right now where a man is being charged, but his other wife is under age.

But, the legality is not Bill's problem. The community is. If some store owner was 'exposed' in California, I could see it being a scandal for a month or so; but, business would likely bounce back. In Utah? I dunno...I think Bill has a MAJOR PR issue now.

And, yes, the First Lady wanted it quiet but everyone was whispering. The secret is out. They'll have to deal with abuse at school for the kids, likely vandalism to their homes, and picketers outside the stores along with public boycotts of the Home store. Barb will be fired from teaching as well. It's going to get ugly.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
So how is it illegal? A man who doesn't marry his extra wives is no different then a man having a baby with a woman he is having an affair with on the side.

I don't recall Gordon Getty getting into any legal trouble when it was exposed that he had had an entire second family on the side.

I really enjoyed Big Love and definitely will be watching the second season.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
In the state of Utah, it's illegal to live a polygamous lifestyle, even if you're only legally married to one person. From Wikipedia on State v. Green:
In 2001, the state of Utah in the United States convicted Tom Green of criminal non-support and four counts of bigamy for having 5 serially monogamous marriages, while living with previous legally divorced wives. His cohabitation was considered evidence of a common-law marriage to the wives he had divorced while still living with them. That premise was subsequently affirmed by the Utah Supreme Court in State v. Green, as applicable only in the State of Utah. Green was also convicted of child rape and criminal non-support.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Yep. If one of the wives is under age Utah will nail you for it. They don't want that going on. And, living under marital conditions is considered marriage by common law and would be recognized as bigamy.

But, for most polygamists (and there are a lot in Utah), they turn the other cheek because it is difficult and expensive to prosecute on just the bigamy alone.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Even if it doesn't come out fully, the fact that the first lady knows about it is going to create rough patches for Bill since he is going to need government approval for new stories, as well as the politics involved in the ins and outs of expanding your business. The first lady might try to keep the polygamist angle obscured since it will reflect badly on her program that Barb could make it as a finalist without being discovered but I think Bill will still find he will be blackballed in the business community.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Bet Bill now wishes he'd accepted that invitatioon to join that business league -- might have given him some "cover".

Ironic, I just watched an episode of Boston Legal where a man was prosecuted for polygamy, though he only had two wives (therefore "bigamy", as in "bi" for two), and it seemed that he had actually gone and legally married both (the idiot!), since in the post-trial (he was convicted) negotiations the DA agreed to probation as long as he "divorced" one of the wives. Which is a bit odd, since the second marriage would be void and you could get an annulment, rather than require a divorce.

Back to Big Love, thought it was heartbreaking when Nicky, having finally been persuaded to dress up to go to the event, couldn't because of insufficient tickets, but I guess it would have been even more obvious if Bill had shown up with two other women in the party. I just wonder why didn't Barb grit her teeth and lie? She's been putting on the act (and living the lie) for the past 7 years (at least), so why did the First Lady's question cause her to simply deflate and admit to polygamy?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Probably because her children were in attendance, and the shame factor of being caught with the spotlight of truth shining directly on her.

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
Well this is not related to the show's storyline, but it is Big Love-related, and thought that I would share....

A few weeks ago, I was at a local resturaunt, and this group of people were sitting at a table across from me and my wife, and there was Jeanne Tripplehorn, along with her husband Leland Orser (the guy who plays the brainy, weird surgen on ER).

She's from Tulsa, and shows up around town every now and again, so it was cool to see her in one of my favorite eating spots!

The interesting thing is that another Big Love regular, Mary Kay Place, is also from Tulsa...

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK

My opinion runs contrary to this. When Roman made the call, Rhonda was shown with a slight smirk on her face. I think she was pleased that Roman was making the call...having felt betrayed by Barb because she wasn't able to stay with the Hendricksons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks