What's new

Bi/Di-polar speakers for rears (1 Viewer)

John Tuttle

Agent
Right now I am running a set of Bipole rears from Energery (RVSS I think). I am not extremely pleased with these for rears. The sound from them is not full and does not sound complete when panning from front to rear. Is this a common problem with this type of speaker, do I have it setup improperly? Should I just go with the same rears as fronts?
My room is not to big (25'x18'x8'), so I believe the speaker should be capable. I am running a Marantz MM-9000 amp to drive these with a Marantz 7200 for processing.
Anyone run this setup and have this problem early on and then fix it?
------------------
Jay
My Ricemobile and Home Theater

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I have Paradigm ADP-370 dipoles for my rear speakers and am very happy with them. The sound filed from them is excellent, with a lot of depth and clarity. They are especially good with non-DD/DTS sources.
What I don't get with these rears is specific localization. Due to their design, that is impossible with dipoles. This may be a drawback if most of your use is with DD5.1 and/or DTS source material. In my experience, most people seem to prefer direct radiators for DD5.1 and DTS encoded material.
------------------
Dan

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The first and obvious question is: have you used a SPL meter to level-adjust the rears to match the fronts? (You should buy the Radio Shack SPL meter and use test-tones to level-adjust).
The next question is: do you have them oriented so one of the drivers is facing the listener and the others fireing back to reflect off of a wall? Or are you doing a psudo-dipole and fireing sound along the wall hoping it will reflect into the room? (You should have one driver focused on the listening position).
Third question: do you have the rears at ear-height or are you following the old ProLogic guidelines and have them mounted up several feet? This works for movies that only put diffuese/ambient sounds to the rears, not for movies that have locatable sounds that pan front/back. (I prefer ear-height placement, but this is not universally agreed to).

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
What Bob said... :)
I currently have Def Tech bipolars in front and in back. I used to have dipoles in back. I prefer the sound with bipolars back there. I do get a little bit more localization (which I personally like), but the soundfield seems more cohesive around the room. I have the speakers in the rear set up like my fronts: about 18 inches out from the wall, *half way* toed in to the prime listening spot.
------------------

John Tuttle

Agent
The speakers have been level adjusted and they are mounted about 24" above ear level. If I stand up to watch certain scenes I can still hear the difference. Yes, I plan to move the speakers down, but I want to try and get this problem resolved first and hopefullly it is a speaker placement problem and both problems can be solved all at once.
I do have one driver facing the side wall and the other driver facing the main seating position.
Maybe I will dismount the speakers and have someone hold them up in different positions for me to find a better position for them.
Thank you.
------------------
Jay
My Ricemobile and Home Theater

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks