What's new

bi-amp x-over (1 Viewer)

Don Ing

Auditioning
Recently ordered a outboard amp with the intentions of bi-amping my speaker system using pre-outs on receiver, and temporarily the receivers amp also. Now my question is, I have access to my speakers x-over, how do I separate the signal in the x-over? The x-over is a Dayton with x-over points at 350 and 3000Hz. It is currently feeding 2-12" spkrs. in the bottom cabinet, and a 8"mid and ribbon tweeter in the top cabinet. These are homemade spkrs. Plan on adding another amp, and electronic x-over in the future, but don't have the cash right now. Hope this makes sense.

Don Ing

Auditioning
O.K., I assume no one knows what I was talking about, from the way I explained it. Lets see if I can clarify myself. Onkyo M-282 amp, JVC receiver with pre-outs. Can I passively bi-amp my speakers using this set up until I can afford another amp and an electronic crossover. No bi-amp provisions with the crossover I am currently using, but I do have acces to all the speaker terminals, as the woofers are in a seperate cabinet from the tweeter/midrange. Can this be done? Help, I want to use my new amp.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
More specifically, if you want to passive bi-amp, the speakers have to have the appropriate binding post terminals. The terminals directly access the hi pass and low pass sides of the crossover. If they don’t have the direct terminals, it’s pretty hard to retro them.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have been working on my true bi-amp project for like 6 months, and have not got it done yet. :)

I got a cheapie electronic x-over just to see if the project would be worth doing or not.

I think it is, but I am going to build a 6 channel xover, using parts available. You need a very high end xover to match what the engineer did in designing the speakers you use.

I assume you just wanted it for yoru fronts? I am attempting to do an entire 6.1/7.1 bi-amp system.

The initial tests are promising. The head room gained is out of this world. To separate the cross over on your speakers, trace it back from the drivers. You should be able to isolate the Mids/Highs section from the low end driver section somewhat easily. Of course it would be real real nice if the speakers already had this capability. I even though about changing, but I truly love the way mine sound. Doing testing with a tone generator, I did find it difficult, but not impossible to get the same smoothness out of the speakers as they were stock.

I sort of hope to have thge project done by xmas. I was going to do a large write up on it and post it here. There was / is so much involved in it, way more than can be imagined before starting, just as many on here warned.

But the headroom gain is so great, it will be worth it in the end, I am sure of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks