What's new

BFD question... (1 Viewer)

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
I decided to get a BFD to tame my AA Sealed Tempest Sub... I've got the SPL meter and burnt some sine wave tone on the CD already. Now, I have a couple questions:

1. When measuring the SPL responses, do I turn off all my other speakers (mains, center, surrounds) or do I leave them on?
2. Where can I get the BFD for cheap? (I am looking for the 1124 model)

Thanks in advanced...

Al,

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor

I would do a baseline curve with the sub only, then again with sats only (with the receiver sub directive still yes or on, but the sub silenced by being seitched off). This will give you a rough idea of what is happening in the tradeoff frequency range. Do not bother setting any filters however unless everything is playing.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
The Behringer is used only to EQ the sub, therefore start by turning off everything except the sub. Now EQ only the sub for the in-room response you want. After that, use your pre/pro (or other output level device) to adjust the sub level in relation to the other speakers.

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
All BFD's are cheap! hee hee It's probably the best bang for the buck on the market as far as home theater electronics go.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
As mentioned, phase effects from the crossover can affect the sub’s response. Further complicating things, because of differences in distance from the sub, the effects of phase will get a different response reading from each speaker.

What I did was take my readings with just the front L/R and subs. This way I get the most accurate response for music, which is where accuracy counts the most. For movies, where the sub mostly reproduces booms from explosions, accuracy is less important. However, I’ve been very happy with the results I get with movies when setting the sub for best response with the L/R speakers

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone for helping me out...

I'll order BFD in about 2 weeks, and will re-measure my sub freq response... Anything else I need to know/do once I got BFD? I don't wanna ruin the sub and the BFD...
I will most likely post some more questions when I got the BFD... Thanks once again...

Al,

Paul Stanley

Stunt Coordinator
How about the connections? I can never wrap my head around how they go. The BFD only has those big microphone/headphone plugs on the back, nothing for the RCA. Do you need one RCA cord with an adapter from the LFE into the BFD, then another RCA with adapter from the BFD to the sub? Are these the only connections needed?

Thanks fellers.

:star:

PaulT

Supporting Actor

Go to Radio Shack and get two 1/4" MONO jack to Female RCA adapters. You can use whatever you normally use for Sub cable to plug in and out of the BFD.

GOLD-PLATED PHONO JACK TO 6.35MM (1/4") MONO PHONE PLUG 274-884 $5.99CDN
- same number in the USA, 3.99USD

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
Or get them at PE, part # 091-1010 for 1.80. You know when you make your biweekly order from PE, what you don't order from PE every other week? Oh man, I asked the sales rep, and they said it was normal for people to order that often. Do I have a problem?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If you’re like me and don’t care for adapters, you can use a pair of these part #42-2373 cables with a 1 /4” jack on one end and an RCA on the other,

They’re pretty pricey, though - $4.00 each.

An even better option would be to go to a guitar shop that sells PA equipment. You could probably find a pair of the same cables for the price on one of those from the Shack.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks