What's new

Bewitched Season 1 (1 Viewer)

JasonPW

Stunt Coordinator

I read the article (which, by the way, was excellent) and I guess I don't understand. The master magnetic audio tracks on some episodes may indeed be crumbling--a truly terrifying thought for fans not just of this show but of any filmed TV series of the past 45 years!! RAH, any other film experts out there--can we get a course for dullards on what this means and how frequently this kind of thing happens?

Meanwhile as you say, this show has been running SOMEWHERE in syndication for decades and decades. I distinctly remember following the entire series over two different cable networks at one point, using a book about the show to find interesting bits of trivia (this does indeed make me a supergeek). So is this a "Japanese quality standards" thing? Will they simply not accept these episodes without their pure, direct-from-the-masters audio? Or are we truly in danger of losing episodes of a TV classic forever? Man, am I confused.

Doc

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I've got the missing shows on VHS and the audio is fine on those. It would be fairly simple pull the audio track over from an old master.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
It's been a little over a year since tvshowsondvd.com announced that Columbia would be releasing BW on DVD in 2005....I wish Columbia would give us something more like exactly what they are releasing or like what month or anything! I'm getting so anxious!!! Especially with the recent announcement of all those Warner shows.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
It'll be tied into the theatrical release of the movie. I don't know if they've set a date for the movie, but I expect the set to be released within a few weeks (before or after) the movie. They'll get the most press for the DVDs that way.

Gord

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
The movie is set for release July 8, 2005. I just wish they'd start releasing the series now and then by the time the movie comes out they would be to at least season three...man, it's hard being patient:)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

It's not quite that simple, given that if they don't have time code, they won't sync, but if there are audio tracks around they could be used-but not without a fair amount of work-by respotting the dialogue. That said, if there is at least some of the original audio intact, it would be easier to resync from a new master. It could be done.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
I'm dreading the movie. I'd like to see a theatrical trailer to know if I'm actually being screwed!

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
A person by the name of RP just posted this over at the Harpies Bizarre.com. Take it for it's worth:

I sure hope this is true...I did notify tvshowsondvd.com to see if they could verify this info.

I'm really hoping that they are extras, but if not, I won't be too mad just so long as each and every second of both seasons are there!

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Wow, it looks like the DVD trend in 2005 is no extras for TV on DVD sets (Charmed, Bewitched, Frasier, etc)... I'm really starting to hate this trend.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Hmmm, I don't know if I like this or not. I'm positive more people will be the color years than the black and white. I hope they don't pull another "Mary Tyler Moore Show" on us.

Mark To

Supporting Actor

This doesn't bother me in the least. The less they spend on these things, the fewer they will find acceptable in sales. You want another MTM disaster where they expect to sell a few hundred thousand and then scrap the whole series when they don't? Put it out complete and in good quality and I'm happy. Besides, what extras do you need anyway? All of the major stars of the show are deceased at this point.

Supporting Actor
here are some ideas.... archival blooper reels... they have to exist somewhere... I've downloaded M*A*S*H bloopers off of the internet before, funny as hell. Why they didn't implement them into the season sets of M*A*S*H is really beyond me. Then again FOX has ignored the pleas of Larry Gelbart who offered to do some commentaries and supply suplemental material for no extra cost to the consumer.

I've finally seen a teaser trailer of Bewitched... it's simply horrifying.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Probably because they have to get clearance from the stars, which in many cases may mean extra dollars spent, or it could be because doing transfers of the bloopers triggers something in the contracts that could otherwise cost more or require additional negotiation.

Supporting Actor
Larry Gelbart has offered to do some commentaries and supply suplemental material for no extra cost to the consumer.

Joseph Miller

Stunt Coordinator

Maybe Herman Munster could rest in piece(s). I hope the rest of them are intact.

Actually, you've killed off a few of them. Yvonne DeCarlo is still alive (she's 82), as is Al Lewis (94 -- almost as old as Dracula now!)

Everyone else seems to be wiped out, except Tabitha, Little Ricky and Eddie Munster. I wouldn't be surprised if they're grandparents by now.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Gee, maybe I'm just weird but when I like a show enough to actually spend money to collect it, I'd like very much to know what went on behind the camera. Featurettes on the making of the series, archival material (of which ABC must have quite a bit), commentaries, etc. Something similar to what was done with the Holy Batmania! disc (which will make a handsome set of extras if the TV show ever comes out).

I will admit there a few shows where the actual program merits the purchase, but with something like Bewitched, which is both nationally syndicated and airs on a national cable network, why would the average DVD collector bother? Sure the episodes are most likely unedited, but is that enough enticement to the consumer?

P.S. Call me a blasphemer, but I'd rather have the colorized version of S1 & S2 so they fit better with the rest of the series. That is, if they sell enough copies of S1&2 to bring out the rest of the seasons.

Dave Farley

Second Unit
Extras are a nice bonus but by no means a deal breaker for me or the average buyer, in my opinion. Give me all the episodes-complete, unedited, and with all original music(if applicable)intact and you'll have a satisfied customer. After all, the primary reason for buying TV on DVD is for the complete episodes of our favorite shows.

As for Bewitched S1 and S2, I want them in b&w. They should be sold as they aired, not with unnecessary alterations.

Supporting Actor
Here's a novel idea.... release the first and second season with an option applied to the episodes.... you can either watch the episodes in b&w or color.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks