What's new

Bewitched Complete Series Box set? (2 Viewers)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I'll wait for a blu-ray. And by the way, wasn't there an extra in which Erin Murphy visited a house that looks coincidentally like the one in my avatar? Whatever happened to that?

savowoll

Auditioning
Real Name
Saco
UK got a complete series Bonus disc, yet the country who created the show did not. After this budget release you can forget about re-releases from Sony for this and many other tv shows because they licensed them to Mill Creek.
www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=12008 www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Site-News-Mill-Creek-Sony-License-Deal/18902

Mill Creek is also licensing shows from CBS/PARAMOUNT, WINGS being the first of these http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Wings-Seasons-1-2/18942 I happen to get my order of it in early and compare it to the CBS version and YIKES, not only they reduced it from 4 discs to 3, but the show is fuzzy and has way too much compression.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
savowoll said:
Mill Creek is also licensing shows from CBS/PARAMOUNT, WINGS being the first of these http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Wings-Seasons-1-2/18942 I happen to get my order of it in early and compare it to the CBS version and YIKES, not only they reduced it from 4 discs to 3, but the show is fuzzy and has way too much compression.
That's a shame, as I was hoping the first couple of seasons of Wings would be improved on the Mill Creek. Guess I'l stick with the lousy CBS sets, which look bad enough on dvd as it is..

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I got the set today and I hate to admit it but it is a disappointment, even though I knew it would be. It is merely all the previously released discs, artwork and all, in a big box with the spindles to stack all the discs on. Here are pics I took of the unboxing:

1385177_529951143753374_830229817_n.jpg

1378240_529951293753359_730047524_n.jpg

1385372_529951503753338_1443346749_n.jpg

1383699_529951687086653_472125026_n.jpg

1394073_529951803753308_780402085_n.jpg

1396025_529951923753296_914809405_n.jpg

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
JohnMor said:
The photos aren't displaying. For me anyway. I get a 404: Not Found message.
:( I used the HTF app on my phone. I'll try to upload them on my computer.

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
Hello David. Since you have it in your hands, would you be kind enough to check for me if there are french language tracks on season 2,3,4,5,7 and 8? Only one episode check by season would be sufficient for me. Thanks in advance. (in the back of the box, on your picture, I can see a Quebec fleur-de-lis which could mean that french dubs are included)

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
I'm sorry David. Don't waste your time for checking the information for me. I just saw a complete scan of the back of the box. It actually says "french on season 6 only" which is stupid. Why bother including french on only one season. Anyway, I bought the entire 8 seasons from Amazon France, years ago. Thanks anyway, David. So we are both disapointed... :-(

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
MBrousseau said:
I'm sorry David. Don't waste your time for checking the information for me. I just saw a complete scan of the back of the box. It actually says "french on season 6 only" which is stupid. Why bother including french on only one season. Anyway, I bought the entire 8 seasons from Amazon France, years ago. Thanks anyway, David. So we are both disapointed... :-(
That is ridiculous that they aren't all in French!

I wish so much that CBS/Paramount or Shout! Factory owned Bewitched so it could've received the treatment it so well deserves.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Collectively, it looks even cheesier than the individual releases really were. Bewitched deserved better. Maybe a bluray one day. I don't know.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Per TV Shows On DVD in January Mill Creak will be releasing the first 2 seasons in Original Black and While for a bargain price of about $15 for both seasons or $10 for each season. However they are only using 3 discs per season. That is six discs for 74 episodes. Perhaps less episodes if they don't include episodes like the Season 2 Christmas episode which is the same the Season 1 episode with a new scene to set up a flashback. There were a few of those while Elizabeth Montgomery was pregnant.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Garysb said:
Per TV Shows On DVD in January Mill Creak will be releasing the first 2 seasons in Original Black and While for a bargain price of about $15 for both seasons or $10 for each season. However they are only using 3 discs per season. That is six discs for 74 episodes. Perhaps less episodes if they don't include episodes like the Season 2 Christmas episode which is the same the Season 1 episode with a new scene to set up a flashback. There were a few of those while Elizabeth Montgomery was pregnant.
I can guess that it will be the same transfer that was on the original black and white sets, but if anyone can confirm or deny that, I would really appreciate it.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Were the Sony Black and White sets just the colorized sets with the color turned off ? I noticed that the Black and White sets had the colorized copy write in the opening credits.

Since Mill Creek gets the rights to Bewitched in January I guess the Complete Series set from Sony will disappear with the New Year.

Larry Tate

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry Tate
The Grey scaled B/W Bewitched DVD sets the first Two seasons.The point is that Sony used a colorized turn the color off grey scale for their B/W option on seasons one & two not the original print, if you have the colorized version & turn the color off then you get the exact same version as the B/W one that Sony offered, even though it is very different then the original version seen in the 1960's which you can see on the CH VHS tapes.That is just Sony being cheap & not wanting to pay for two restored versions.I don't consider the colors fake looking at all, in fact they in my view look very realistic as if they were filmed in color which creates a seamlessness as you go into the actual color filmed season 3.Even N@N when they got the color episodes as well in 1998 i think it was, used the restored grey scale prints in showing the B/W episodes before the colorization took place & as such the B/W episodes clearly looked as they do now & different then they had in the early 1990's when they had used the original un-restored prints from the 1960's, the restoration process altered the B/W look from the original well before the colorization took place.I thought they did a wonderful & overall superb & accurate job of colorizing Bewitched.Of course if you get the first two seasons in Color you get them in B/W as well, all you have to do is turn off the color on your remote control for your TV & it i exactly the same grey scale as the B/W sets are.The B/W sets are not an accurate replication of how Bewitched was originally seen in B/W in 1964 to 1966, if you want the original shadows, lighting, witchy feel, contrast and visual feel then you need to see original studio 16mm prints or the Columbia House & Screen Gems VHS tapes which were done before the show was restored & remastered and used old 35mm master prints that were made during the shows actual run from Fall 1964 thru the spring of 1966.The Columbia House tapes are especially as the show was originally seen in the vintage sense with the same aesthetic quality's that were seen back in the 1960's.So you really don't need to record the shows again in B/W as you will have them already on your Color DVD's with the color turned off.So i am a proponent of the Colorized episodes as it is a Two for One deal in effect, both Color & B/W.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
With Mill Creek re-releasing "Bewitched" next year, does this mean that Sony will be retiring their own individual season sets? If so, it might not be a bad idea to stockpile a few for the future. Mill Creek's packaging is the "black paper envelopes inside a regular black DVD case" kind. The individual slim cases that Sony designed were beautiful.

In any event here is the first of Mill Creek's "Bewitched" DVDs - cover courtesy of TVShowsonDVD.com.

Bewitched_S1_BW_MCE.jpg

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I think Mill Creek's cover art is horrible! And why is it so hard for both Sony and Mill Creek to use the First Season appropriate pictures?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
classicmovieguy said:
With Mill Creek re-releasing "Bewitched" next year, does this mean that Sony will be retiring their own individual season sets? If so, it might not be a bad idea to stockpile a few for the future. Mill Creek's packaging is the "black paper envelopes inside a regular black DVD case" kind. The individual slim cases that Sony designed were beautiful.
Let's not forget that Mill Creek usually crams more episodes onto a disc than should be put on there, so the picture quality inevitably suffers.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Bewitched is coming back! I hated the movie so I hope NBC does right by this classic.I always loved the show and never missed an episode but when ABC switched it to Saturday nights in second half of the season in 1972 I had a hard time watching. I was older and Bewitched was trying and I guess was up for another year from what I read here. I think most fans though love Dick York and Liz because of the great chemistry they had. The other guy tried and you have to give them credit for that. I guess he was even first pick for Darren before the show started.I must say I have held out on this series. I used to love this show as a kid and they even used to broadcast it on Saturday mornings back in the late 60s. Now I may pick it up. Here is the news link.https://tv.yahoo.com/news/bewitched-followup-series-lands-nbc-202000630.htmlhttp://article.wn.com/view/2014/10/23/Bewitched_followup_about_Samanthas_granddaughter_lands_at_NB/I wish them well and will certainly tune in to see what they will give us.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks