What's new

Better Off Dead DVD??? (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Hello - Has anyone heard a date or rumored date for Better Off Dead?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
This was just mentioned at the national meet/Dave's Video Studio day. DigitalBits.com has it's studio by studio report from that day and I think it's Paramount's title (not Fox, they have Say Anything but not dead) and as I recall it is on it's way sometime early in 2002.
I'll probably go look it up over at Bits myself.
WHOOPS, sorry Peter Bracke, I meant DVDFile. I feel bad for showing a Bill Hunt favoritism by accident. Anyway, head over to DVDFile for the info.
[Edited last by Seth Paxton on October 07, 2001 at 09:29 PM]
[Edited last by Seth Paxton on October 07, 2001 at 09:31 PM]

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Yes! I've been waiting for this DVD for a long time. I did a cursory search for info on it at dvdfile.com but couldn't find anything. Wish their search engine covered more than DVD reviews...
If I find any more info tomorrow, I'll post it.
------------------
Scott
[Edited last by Scott-C on October 11, 2001 at 08:03 AM]

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Martin Blythe at Paramount said it's on its way!
"I want my two dollars!"
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

John Stone

Supporting Actor
At last! Somehow I misread the article at DVD File last week; I thought it said that Better Off Dead was not coming out in 2002.
BoD is my favorite "teen" movie from the 80s. It was the inspiration behind the purchase of my Link Removed (I know that Lane drove a Camero in the film, but I liked the Firebird's front-end better than the Camero).
Any word on extra features, transfer or sound?
------------------
John
http://www.twowiresthin.com

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
YYYEEESSSSS!!!
My college roommates played my VHS copy over and over again in the spring and summer 1987. There are still lines from that movie that my old friends and I use for short-hand communication and to get a guffaw out of each other.
"If a tree is in your way, turn."
"Ric-KKKEEEYYYYYY!!!!!"
"How do you day, duck...head?"
Bwah-hahahahaha!
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
The Oriental brothers are my favorite. One learned to speak english by listening to Walter Kronkite. The other cannot speak english.
(In Kronkite's voice) "Lane Meyer, a man, who knows, how to ski."
Lane Meyer "No, tentacles..."
"I'm real sorry you mother blew up Ricky."
This is definitely one of my favorites of all time. This is one of those movies I never tire of watching.
I hope it does come out early 2002.

DanL

Stunt Coordinator
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the other, great, 'Savage' Steve Holland "teen" movie One Crazy Summer. Not a masterpiece, but certainly a good double feature with Better Off Dead.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
It was defintely Howard Cosell... He was talking...like..Howard..Co-sell.. accordingly... :)
It was on some Dish station a few weeks ago, and when I saw John Cusack at the WTC fundraising thing, I immediately though of BoD..
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
My bad!!! It was Howard Cosell. I got a little confused because I was so excited.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I do think one of the Asian guys was the bad guy in Karate Kid II.

Shane Acker

Agent
"This is pure snow. Do you know what the street value of this mountain is?"
Absolutely one of my favorite movies. One that I would comb retail store late at night to find before the release date.
------------------
Shane Acker
My Home Theater EquipmentList

MikeM

Screenwriter
Yes, he was the bad guy in karate kid II as well as the defendant in True Believer...I think those were his major roles...oh wait, the geek in Real Genius too!
As for Better Off Dead itself, was there a framing issue with this movie, or was it just super-low budget? (Or both) :)
The reason I ask is that I always remember seeing that scene of John Cusack spraying on deodorant for his date. I clearly remember seeing the nozzle of some huge fake spray can underneath him when they show a ton of crap spray out of the small can which is obviously fake and coming out of a large tube. I always thought this was really funny, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if this was a framing issue for home video, or if it showed up that way in the theaters...anyone?
EVERYBODY WANTS SOME...I WANT SOME TOO!
------------------
mike_sig.jpg

John Stone

Supporting Actor
quote: As for Better Off Dead itself, was there a framing issue with this movie, or was it just super-low budget? (Or both)
The reason I ask is that I always remember seeing that scene of John Cusack spraying on deodorant for his date. I clearly remember seeing the nozzle of some huge fake spray can underneath him when they show a ton of crap spray out of the small can which is obviously fake and coming out of a large tube. I always thought this was really funny, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if this was a framing issue for home video, or if it showed up that way in the theaters...anyone?
[/quote]
Better Off Dead was shot "soft matte". When it was shown theatrically, the projectionist placed a matte in front of the projector so that the film would be shown in its intended aspect ratio of 1.85:1.
For the home video release, the mattes were simply not used so that the picture would fill a standard 4:3 television. The problem, as you have discovered, is that this technique exposes picture data that was never meant to be seen.
Similar problems can be seen in the fullscreen home video versions of Pee-wee's Big Adventure and A Fish Called Wanda (among many others).
------------------
John
http://www.twowiresthin.com
[Edited last by John St on October 12, 2001 at 07:47 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks