What's new

Bette in B & W! (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching Now Voyager. What a great B & W picture the DVD had!! The story is not bad either. This only fuels my appetite for these Bette Davis classics:

1. The Old Maid

2. The Letter

3. In This Our Life

4. A Stolen Life

5. The Great Lie

6. Mr Skeffington

7. Marked Woman

8. All This and Heaven Too

9. Juarez

10. Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex

Richard Carnahan

Stunt Coordinator
This is a gorgeous disc, with superb picture and very-good sound quality. Hard to believe it's a 60 year old film. Warner Bros. has produced another DVD as good as CITIZEN KANE and NORTH BY NORTHWEST.

The Max Steiner scoring cues are a great bonus--to bad there aren't more.

StuartM

Auditioning
Hey Guys

I am awaiting the release of any of Bette Davis films on DVD here in the UK. Can't believe they haven't issued anything over here at all!

Seems like Now Voyager is getting rave reviews. Perhaps I should get hold of a copy from the US. What else of Bette Davis's has been released on DVD in US and is it up to the same standard? Anyone know if there is anything else in the pipeline?

In London

Stuart

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have the following Bette Davis films on dvd:
  • The Little Foxes
  • All About Eve
  • What Ever Happened to Baby Jane
  • Jezebel
  • Dark Victory
  • Pocketful of Miracles
Crawdaddy

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It looks like Lowry Digital Images has done yet another fine DVD restoration!

So far, they've restored..

North By Northwest

Citizen Kane

Doctor Zhivago

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Now Voyager

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
More Bette Davis on DVD is absolutely required. I'll second all of the choices above, but I hope Warner's issues the restored version of MR. SKEFFINGTON first.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
i am willing to purchase just about any of Bette's work....Bette Davis...or Bette Midler..!!!

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Yes Rain I know that the Elizabeth & Essex film is in color. I included it because it is among the Bette Davis films not yet on DVD that are my favorites.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I see that vintage Bette remains poorly represented on DVD. It is ashame she does not have more of her films on DVD. You would think her legion of fans would snatch up any of the films I mentioned in droves.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hey Guys

I am awaiting the release of any of Bette Davis films on DVD here in the UK. Can't believe they haven't issued anything over here at all!

Seems like Now Voyager is getting rave reviews. Perhaps I should get hold of a copy from the US. What else of Bette Davis's has been released on DVD in US and is it up to the same standard? Anyone know if there is anything else in the pipeline?
Stuart, Now Voyager is also available in R4; it's exactly the same disk (save for the fact it somes in a proper keeper case rather than a cardboard snapper), and you'll probably be able to pick it up cheaper from an R4 supplier than an R1.

BTW, the transfer on the R1 All About Eve is almost as good as Now Voyager; the Fox Classics Collection is certainly giving those excellent Warners restorations a run for their money!

---

So many films, so little time...

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely agree with All About Eve, simply fantastic
Hi John
Good to see that you made it to HTF as well and welcome as well
:D

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I'll second on "All This And Heaven, Too"- Bette was delicious in this film opposite Charles Boyer, and it's a shame they didn't work together again. People have accused Bette of hamming it up at times, but here she brilliantly underplays the role of Henriette, revealing more with less, a technique she also did in 1965's "The Nanny", also NOT on DVD! I also want her trash classic "Beyond The Forest" released, along with "Marked Woman", "Mr. Skeffington", and "In This Our Life"- now in that film she overacts, but it works because it's a melodrama directed by John Huston.

Ron Hayes

Auditioning
Hello,
My first post and this topic allows me to express my hope for a DVD release of, "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte".
A remastered DVD of these classic group of actors photographed in gorgeous black and white with the movies wonderfully eerie atmosphere and haunting theme song is among my top-5 Wish List for a future release.
As long as I'm 'wishing', it would be fascinating to think that footage exists of the scenes filmed with Joan Crawford before she left the film and could be included as a supplementary.
King Video released the VHS. The film's logo is 20th Century Fox. Does anyone know who owns the rights to this movie? I hope this won't be one of those titles that's going to fall by the wayside :frowning:
Ron

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Fox owns this title and I'm glad you reminded me to asked them about releasing this fine film.

Crawdaddy

Ron Hayes

Auditioning
Thank you! I can never be certain what studio owns which film these days and I appreciate the info.
Please let us know if your inquiry to Fox receives a favorable response. An April 22nd release date would be perfect...:)
Thanks, again.
Ron

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Would love to see HUSH, HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE out on DVD, as well as those Fox/Hammer titles THE NANNY and THE ANNIVERSARY.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the thread Jeff.

I have also been waiting for

THE OLD MAID

MR. SKEFFINGTON

ALL THIS AND HEAVEN TOO

and another favorite not mentioned, THE CORN IS GREEN.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks