What's new

bestbuy in store price increases that i've noticed (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i was in my local bestbuy in delaware today and noticed at least 3 movies with an increase.
1. X-FILES FIGHT THE FUTURE
was $24.99 now $29.99
2. KELLY'S HEROES
was $14.99 now $16.99
3. THE AWFUL TRUTH SEASON 1 & 2
WAS $27.99 now $32.99

i hope there arent too many more.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
I've been noticing the same thing over the last few months:
"Whipped" was $17.99 now $22.99
"Batman" movies were $14.99 now $16.99 each
"Jackal" was $22.99 now $29.99

You're better off purchasing any movie on it's release date, if you can. The longer they sit on the shelf, the more likely the "sticker witch" will mark them up.

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
Does that make sense that the longer the movie stays on a shelf, the more expensive it gets. What is it wine?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
1. X-FILES FIGHT THE FUTURE
was $24.99 now $29.99
2. KELLY'S HEROES
was $14.99 now $16.99
3. THE AWFUL TRUTH SEASON 1 & 2
WAS $27.99 now $32.99
4. RIO BRAVO
was 14.99 now 16.99
5. SNAKE EYES
was 19.99 now 22.99 this is on bestbuy.com as 16.99 so who knows what the price is.
6.IT'S A MAD,MAD,MAD,MAD WORLD
was 14.99 now 19.99

i'm not going to keep track of this the way some people do in these type of topics but if i run across one occasionally i'll put it in here.

if no one cares to know these price increases at best buy then i'll probably stop eventually anyway.

also all the warner dvd-audio's are still higher then $15, which i think is the msrp.

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
Open Your Eyes was $14.99, now $19.99. (Target has it for something like $9.99.) Leon the Professional (International Cut) was marked up as well, but I can't remember the prices. I'd planned on buying both of these movies at Best Buy at one point, but quickly changed my mind when they were noticeably more expensive than they'd been a few short months earlier.

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
It's funny what happens when there is less competition in the market place...

Daniel L

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
it seems that bestbuy has done it again to almost all the titles.

so i thought i'd go back to this thread again.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Matt Birchall mentioned this in last week's Roundup thread, and I repeated it in the Roundup post for this week.

Also been brought up in Mike Frezon's "quest for preferred customer coupons" thread.

Thanks, though.

Jimmy Wong

Grip
The good thing about this is when we PM at Best Buy, the 10% of the difference will be even greater. Otherwise, I'm staying away.

Brian E

Screenwriter
It's funny what happens when there is less competition in the market place...
I hear what you're saying, but was trying to think what stores went away to cause less competition. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that now that DVD has it's hooks into more and more consumers there is less need to have the best price on everything. The new prices are still competetive with other B&M's. There just more in line with most of CC's catalog prices. I think it's either price increases for catalog stuff or no more catalog stuff at BB. I mean they carry tons of catalog DVD's that they never would have carried in VHS days.
Of course I still wish their prices were lower :)

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
The "stores" that went away were the online etailers. Back in the early days of DVD, there were amazing deals to be found. 3 DVDs for $1.00, coupons, freebies galore. Everybody wondered how long those places would stay in business at the rate they were giving away product.

Hmmm...with the market penetration that exists now (and these price increases), maybe they could make a killing if they came back.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Funny thing is that I have spent $$$'s at BB over the years and this was the first time they sent me a 'preferred customer' coupon. I went in on Sunday to look at what the 10% would buy me. With the price increases the 10% didn't seem to be worth very much at all (10% off after across the board 25% price increase is not an inducement for me). It looks like Costco and the online retailers will be getting my money from here on in. BB has just been removed from my list of B&M's to shop for DVD's.

Joel

Brian E

Screenwriter
The "stores" that went away were the online etailers. Back in the early days of DVD, there were amazing deals to be found. 3 DVDs for $1.00, coupons, freebies galore. Everybody wondered how long those places would stay in business at the rate they were giving away product.

Hmmm...with the market penetration that exists now (and these price increases), maybe they could make a killing if they came back.
If they came back you wouldn't see the deals you once did. They effectivley proved that their business model wouldn't work. The stores that are left have either raised prices a bit or are riding a very fine line on margins. Many times now I can find as good a deal, if not better, at a b&m store when factoring in shipping. BB & CC never really tried to compete with the reel.com 800.com bigstars of the world. There prices got better after those stores crashed and burned IIRC. I know I almost never bought a DVD at a b&m until after that so I don't see how those stores going away caused the price increases we're talking about. If anything BB's stockholders wanted to start seeing that area of the store make a better profit.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i remenber the 3 for $1 at 800.com.

by the way if you go to 800.com it's now circuitcity.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks