What's new

Best Western available on DVD (1 Viewer)

DennisP

Stunt Coordinator
Was having this debate with a couple of friends about the single best weatern released on DVD. We were not talking about the best transfer or sound or supplements..but just what we thought was the best all around Western movie ever released. The kind of movie that, if you could just own one Western....what would it be?

Tombstone was one of the movies mentioned as was Josey Wales, and I think Silverado was even talked about ...but we all finally agreed that if we had to own just one western movie..it would have to be Lonesome Dove. That movie (the 6 hour version) pretty much had everything you look for in a good western. Great story...action, adventure, authenticity, pathos..outstanding characters.

Any other recommendations?

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Josey Wales, The Searchers, For A Few Dollars More, Good, Bad, and the Ugly, Unforgiven, The Wild Bunch.

Just a few of my faves...but, I've always had a particular fondness for "For a Few Dollars More".

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
There was a recent discussion on this topic over in polls, titled Can I get some Western Recommendations?.
Many critics consider The Searchers to be the ‘best’, if that can be applied. My desert island choice (today) would be The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence.
It might be a different one tomorrow. But thankfully I don’t have to choose. :)

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
I've stayed at Best Western hotels, but don't remember any on a DVD...

Sorry. One of my favorites is "Silverado", it has some really great vistas and a fun cast. I would also second "Lonesome Dove". It's my favorite book (even though I really don't care for reading westerns in general), and Robert Duvall just personifies Gus McRae. Aw heck, I second all the movies mentioned so far. I'm so easy.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
I'll add Shane which is one of my favorite westerns. I'll also second all the other movies listed here.
Jack Palance was the coldest, baddest gunslinger of them all, IMHO.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I don't like most Westerns, but I love 'High Noon (1952)', 'Unforgiven (1992)' and 'Tombstone (1993)'. Trying to pick a favorite from one of those 3 is really difficult for me. I'd probably give the nod to 'Unforgiven'.

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
Well, of course UNFORGIVEN gets re-released on Tuesday.
Wild East just put out the wonderful Lee Van Cleef Eurowestern DAY OF ANGER on disc. It looks great and the supplements are excellent. You can find that disc at www.wildeast.net
Maybe not "The Best" western, but a great Eurowestern all the same.
Oh, and THE GREAT SILENCE from Fantoma. Fan-Tastic movie!

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Well, I'm not a big western fan, but Tombstone kicks major butt IMHO. I had forgotten about that movie until just recently when a friend let me borrow his copy. This gets the vote as my favorite.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Really, there are two, best, Westerns.

Stagecoach
The Searchers

All others pale in comparison.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
For me, the top three would be Silverado, Tombstone, and Quigley Down Under. I haven't seen any of the "classic" westerns, though the more I hear about The Searchers, the more I want to see it.
McClintock! would be a close fourth. Love the Duke! ("I'm not going to punch you. I'm not. The hell I'm not!") :laugh:
Desert island choice would probably be Silverado - for me, it offers everything I love about Westerns, with a stellar cast (Kevin Costner actually acts if you can believe it!) and fantastic photography (which was butchered on the P&S VHS version).

DeeF

Screenwriter
Also, this isn't exactly a Western, but it has that quality:

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

a fantastic adventure story, seething with lost morality

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm gonna cast my vote for The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. This has been #1 on my Westerns list for years. Even though there are other films that compare this one has always struck the right balance for me. Eastwood and Wallach are superlative in their roles, the screenplay is great, Leone's is at the top of his form and it has an epic sweep that draws the viewer right in. Can't wait until the SE that's in the works gets released.
"Tuco Benedito Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez..."
"Otherwise known as The Rat."

Rob T

Screenwriter
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned The Magnificent Seven as yet.
Tombstone is damn good too. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks